Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:41 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:07 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Handsome looking mounts. The rubber sleeves are a nice touch.

I really like that they screw from the top and not the Xamm bottom... :roll:

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 10:24 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

oldwetfish wrote:
Geordie wrote:
In the last month or two, I have had some really big hook-ups with tuna and spanish mackerel while I am trolling at a fairly fast speed. They hit so hard that it bends the Ram ball mount right back down so the rod is in the water.

Geordie,
This is the reason for my primary investigations and subsequently the request for railblaza to look into a functional bar (41mm) mount.
I got tired of picking my rods (and reels) out of the water when I was fishing, and for some reason, I could never tighten the 'Xamm Ball' (you know what I mean) tight enough to prevent the hammering that it would get from the New Zealand Kingfish, sharks and stingrays..

The product which i tested on my 40km trip was excellent but that was only temporary, I would expect the replacement (genuine fitting) to be awesome.

Yes I know what you mean with the RAM ball mounts pulling back when you get a decent hookup. I have been looking into what a few guys in the East of Australia do 'Bull horn' holder type but mounted with Ram fittings because that is what we have started with.

copied this idea and it seems to work well. BUT it is a pity that we have to modify these mounts to make them work properly. I probably would have gone with the Railblaza gear if I did not already have so much Ram mount gear.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 11:53 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

That's a nice variation of the yakass idea. And yours doesn't take up any trunk space. :D

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 10:00 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

All are very good ways, It really all depends on how you use the TI's and AI's. Here is some of mine:

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 10:50 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Larry,
Looks like you have figured out what works and set up with ram balls on all sides of your TI.

what is the purpose for the foam attached to the AKA? How do you use the Rocket Launchers at the end of your AKAs

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 8:33 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Clint wrote:
Larry,
Looks like you have figured out what works and set up with ram balls on all sides of your TI.

what is the purpose for the foam attached to the AKA? How do you use the Rocket Launchers at the end of your AKAs

Clint, Foam keeps the AKAs protected from the boards, Rocket launchers are rod storage or umbrellas holders depending on the crew.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 2:51 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

larryhts wrote:
Rocket launchers are rod storage or umbrellas holders depending on the crew.

"Umbrella holders" and surf boards on the akas.

I love it.
Darn I am going to have to mount deck chair recliners to keep up.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 3:24 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/4847/l6r.mp4

Geordie, Take a look at this video shows the boards being used, just having fun. But also shows why I had to move the camera mounts. :lol:
“Women who seek to be equal with men lack ambition” Timothy Leary (1920 - 1996)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:12 am 
Site Rank - Captain

[quote="Geordie"]OK I have had the new TI since just before Christmas and have been slowly kitting it out.
Here are a few photos of my set up.
Ram tube rod holders and I have just made the PVC tube bullhorn base to hold the holders a bit more firmly.

I built a similar Bull Horn setup but I like yours better. Is that just two Ram 2000 with a PVC attached stabilizing brace? Any helpful hints on how to build?

Steve

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:41 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hi Steve,
yes these are just the Ram 2000 rod tubes, but I did cut out the base so I could sit the rods all the way down into the bullhorn tube and have the reel sit in the slot.

The way I mounted them also meant that the slots for the reel did not face backwards so I cut an additional rear facing slot to hold the reel back when trolling. You can just see the slot I cut in the photo.

On an AI there is the advantage of being able to mount the bullhorn against the aka cross tube for better support when you get a big fish strike, but on a TI this is not possible unless you have the bullhorns forward of the rear passenger.

They are a lot more solid than single mounted Ram 2000 but do still feel there is a bit of flex backwards as the mount point is below the rod rather than back a bit. I am thinking about adding a small tube for a brace back to the rear rod holder tube. But then I hardly ever catch something big enough to need it.

To fit the PVC tube: I first heated it up in boiling water and pushed the rod holder in a little, to widen the end. Then heated a bit more and continued bit by bit to stretch the PVC over and have a tight fit. I also used a hot air gun (used for paint stripping) to add a bit of heat, but have to be really gentle or it will burn the PVC (and it makes toxic Vynil Chloride fumes so beware of getting it too hot and work in well ventilated area). Gloves help too so you can hold the tube and work it over.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:20 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for the reply. I am about to setup a new TI and am evaluating any changes I want to make. Currently I have a modified Bull Horn setup that works well but takes more room than yours. Also, I like how clean yours looks. The upside of my setup is that it gets the poles further outboard for a wide spread when trolling. Here is a few pics:

Steve