Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:24 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Standing Up in Outback?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:24 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Was wondering if its practical to stand up in the Outback. I assume water needs to be calm and all else perfect? If I could standup and fish,maybe I wouldnt have to use a ProAngler.
Whats your experience? Thanks so much
Actionjackson :D

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:37 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I think it depends a lot on the angler and their skill. Just for fun, I tried standing up in my Sport last summer in flat calm water and managed to do it, although I never tried casting. I think I could do it in my Outback, but the PA has better places to position your feet.

Personally, I like sitting down when I fish.

HB

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:45 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks HB,
I have a new sport,but havent tried standing. My dads been using it and he wont be tryinv to stand.lol. Im hoping I can stand in a outback,but it might not be ideal.
Cheers

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:47 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I can stand up to get in a crouch to pee in my Outback:) They are pretty stable. I'm close to 60 and not the most agile. If you added outriggers I'm sure it would be fairly straight forward, however I guess it depends on what you want to do, the Pro Angler is obviously better suited for standing but it seems to be a big beast.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:47 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

The Pro Angler is like a fishing dock. If you can't stand in it...you have no business trying to stand in anything :lol:
I am a new Hobie owner...just removed from a Native Ultimate where standing was taken for granted. My new ride is a Revo13 and not near as stable at the Ultimate or the Outback and I managed to stand on the hatch cover...I used the pedals to pull myself up. Not great, but I did do it, albeit in calm and shallow water :roll:
Standing in any kayak is an individual talent. I suggest to always try it first in shallow water :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:08 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You can stand up on a water borne log, if you have good enough balance.

Most of the standard Hobie Mirage Drive kayaks aren't really ideal for standing. Even a wider boat like the Outback doesn't provide you with much in the way of a flat surface to stand on.

I think you have to determine what your priority is. If standing is important, a different Hobie, such as the Pro Angler 12 or 14 might be the better choice. If speed, easy car-topping, etc., is the ticket, then your Outback or a Revo is going to be better.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:58 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I appreciatte all the replys,good information. I do have excellent balance,but just need to know other experiences. I stood in my Revo(sold) and it was not practical to do much of anything. Just havent tried the balance act in the Outback yet. I know its a piece of cake to stand in the PA.
Well thanks again and good luck to all you Hobie fisherman 8)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:17 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

My wife and I love our Hobie Oasis once we get it in the water for just yaking along and touring various waters. However, even with the AMA Sidekicks, there is no way I would try to stand up in it and fly cast.

Hobie Mirages are great for casting/spinning rods and minimal standing up with the exception of the PA's. The PA's are stable enough, you could probably do jumping jacks while standing up and fly casting in/on a PA.

I have two Freedom Hawks, the FH12 and a new Pathfinder. The Pathfinder is about as stable with the pontoons fully extended as my Jon Boat.

Below is a great link with a busting the barrier fly caster and the older Freedom Hawks. The whole link is good, however what sold me re fly fishing platforms was what happened with a baracuda @5:39. I will never be in that situation, but it is nice to know that if a critter in the water decides to climb aboard. I can probably avoid him until I can get a paddle to clobber it and still stay in my yak.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSIIKVAH3tA

actionjackson wrote:
Was wondering if its practical to stand up in the Outback. I assume water needs to be calm and all else perfect? If I could standup and fish,maybe I wouldnt have to use a ProAngler.
Whats your experience? Thanks so much
Actionjackson :D

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:52 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

On rare occasions I'll stand in my Outback, but it's a very nervous, careful action. I can't see both standing *and* doing anything else very comfortably. There's really not a good spot for your feet -- you have a relatively narrow stance on either side of the hatch.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:53 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'm 6 foot 210 pounds and I stand up for extended periods of time in my outback. I even occasionally throw a cast net standing up in the boat, although I kneel to pull it in.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:26 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I stand in my Outback also, and throw cast nets you name it. I made a standing platform for it that gives you a flat area to stand on a while back. I got the idea from someone on this site but mine is solid with no cut through the middle. It's on here somewhere

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 2:55 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I stand in the Outback all the time when I'm just drifting. I'm either chucking softbaits or fly fishing and cast no problems. I've never even come close to falling out.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 2:10 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Well guys, The Outback is collecting dust for the moment...lol Also,this post started in regards to standing and fishing in a practical manner. Havent tried it,BUT yesterday I did buy a Freedom 12 hawk..I know this will work. :D
Cheers

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 7:32 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I own both the FH 12 and Pathfinder.

The FH 12 is a good little yak in protected waters and in low wind conditions.

The Pathfinder is very stable in wind and waves.

If you can exchange your FH12 and upgrade to a Pathfinder, you might want to reconsider and go for the Pathfinder. When the Pathfinder is broken down into the 3 sections, it is about as easy to throw into the back of a pickup as the FGH12 and to store.

If you keep the FH12, remember to keep the pontoons in position 2 for launching, paddling and returning. The comments below are from FH's home page:

"This ultimate fishing machine features a patented inline outrigger system, giving anglers a choice of 3 positions. It paddles like a conventional kayak when in the first position. Position two offers additional stability when fishing or rigging a rod. The third position fully extends the outriggers into their patented “inline position” for maximum efficiency when paddling, fishing, polling, or motoring (with the optional motor mount). Now you can stalk fish with less drag and water movement, or gain additional paddling stability in more challenging paddling conditions."

With either FH, buy the elite seat, or your butt will be wet all day. The Elite seat keeps you off the deck and dry. It makes it easier to stand. The Elite seat is very comfortable.

Re standing, have a 10-12' Bowline and wrap it over the standing bar a couple of times with a loop at the end in the middle of the bar. When you want to stand, just grab the loop and pull yourself up.

Before I launch either FH, the stand up mount bar is installed and the bow line is looped over the top of the bar. It is easier and safer to do this before launching. :?

With my Freedom Hawks, I use the technique shown in the video linked below to get into and out of them. It makes the launching a lot easier. Getting out is a simple reverse with or without their bows resting on the launch ramp.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnDftsLMW3k

Buy the FH12 anchor system and use a one pound salmon lead ball for anchoring. When anchored with the FH's and the anchor line is at the bow, I turn around, face the stern, and use the Elite seat to catch my fly line when I strip it in and to shoot the line. The seat makes a great stripping basket, and I don't bother taking a stripping basket with me.

After dropping the anchor, I extend the stabilizers on both FH's to the full extension position for stability and to have a wider area to bring fish in from the stern.

I use two fly rod mounts/holders. One is the extension holder for the stern rod mount holes, and the other is the FH one that mounts to the casting/standing bar.

actionjackson wrote:
Well guys, The Outback is collecting dust for the moment...lol Also,this post started in regards to standing and fishing in a practical manner. Havent tried it,BUT yesterday I did buy a Freedom 12 hawk..I know this will work. :D
Cheers

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 10:21 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Grampa Spey wrote:
I own both the FH 12 and Pathfinder.

The FH 12 is a good little yak in protected waters and in low wind conditions.

The Pathfinder is very stable in wind and waves.

If you can exchange your FH12 and upgrade to a Pathfinder, you might want to reconsider and go for the Pathfinder. When the Pathfinder is broken down into the 3 sections, it is about as easy to throw into the back of a pickup as the FGH12 and to store.

If you keep the FH12, remember to keep the pontoons in position 2 for launching, paddling and returning. The comments below are from FH's home page:

"This ultimate fishing machine features a patented inline outrigger system, giving anglers a choice of 3 positions. It paddles like a conventional kayak when in the first position. Position two offers additional stability when fishing or rigging a rod. The third position fully extends the outriggers into their patented “inline position” for maximum efficiency when paddling, fishing, polling, or motoring (with the optional motor mount). Now you can stalk fish with less drag and water movement, or gain additional paddling stability in more challenging paddling conditions."

With either FH, buy the elite seat, or your butt will be wet all day. The Elite seat keeps you off the deck and dry. It makes it easier to stand. The Elite seat is very comfortable.

Re standing, have a 10-12' Bowline and wrap it over the standing bar a couple of times with a loop at the end in the middle of the bar. When you want to stand, just grab the loop and pull yourself up.

Before I launch either FH, the stand up mount bar is installed and the bow line is looped over the top of the bar. It is easier and safer to do this before launching. :?

With my Freedom Hawks, I use the technique shown in the video linked below to get into and out of them. It makes the launching a lot easier. Getting out is a simple reverse with or without their bows resting on the launch ramp.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnDftsLMW3k

Buy the FH12 anchor system and use a one pound salmon lead ball for anchoring. When anchored with the FH's and the anchor line is at the bow, I turn around, face the stern, and use the Elite seat to catch my fly line when I strip it in and to shoot the line. The seat makes a great stripping basket, and I don't bother taking a stripping basket with me.

After dropping the anchor, I extend the stabilizers on both FH's to the full extension position for stability and to have a wider area to bring fish in from the stern.

I use two fly rod mounts/holders. One is the extension holder for the stern rod mount holes, and the other is the FH one that mounts to the casting/standing bar.

actionjackson wrote:
Cheers

Grampa Spey,
Well I went to pickup my Hawk yesterday.It was actually a Hawk 14. Now take no offenese and maybe call it a premature opinion but here we go. Even after these words,you may say to yourself "then why did you buy it". While it shows impressive platform for standing up and fishing,there is no perfect fishing kayak.There always something that has to be given up for another feature.The price was right & included the delux angler seat too. I havent had it out on the water yet,but I am excited to give it a try. First impressions is you get what you pay for. Pretty decent for the money,but by no means built as solid as a Hobie.
Not writing this as a bash(first impression),only letting those who maybe on the fence about buying a Hawk and havent seen/handled one in person. Hull materials are totally different,Hobie are much robust. Obviously with no moving parts the Hobie would be more hassle free over time.Dont think that point can be agrued. These couple things though werent enough to stop me from buying the Freedom Hawk. It has lots of potential and will serve its purpose well..Guess I should do a short review elsewhere on forum that here...lol
Thanks for the links Grampa Spey,I have seen a lot of them.
Cheers