Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:48 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Flyfishing from a Kayak
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:36 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

New to forum, hoping for help. I have a lake here in So Cal that doesn't allow float tubes but allows "sit on top" Kayaks. I want to fly fish from a kayak but I need to be able to move backwards (to be able to strip line in) and control the Kayak. I also need a place for the line to sit (like a stripping apron) but see that with the drive system, it doesn't seem there is any room on deck for that, and you are in a recumbent position. I was thinking of the evolve propulsion as it looks to go backwards. Couple of questions I have are: 1. How long does a charge last if only going slowly? 2. Are there any fly fishers currently using a Kayak for this? Any help or input is greatly appreciated.
Thank you.
Dave

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:56 am 
Hobie Tech / Moderator

I don't fly fish so I can't answer many of your questions, but I can try to help with some. If you are going backwards for a period of time, you can flip the drive around so it pedals you in reverse. People do this in slow moving rivers when they want to stay in one place and face downstream to fish.

Here's a link to Torqeedo's website with a chart showing run times, ranges, and speeds:

http://torqeedo.com/us/products/ultralight-403-with-integrated-battery-for-kayaks-and-canoes/speed-range-run-time

If you want to stand up easily, check out the Pro Anglers. Either of those with the H Bar stand up bar make for a very stable fishing platform.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:55 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I use a towel in my lap to hold line.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:53 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Very helpful, thank you.
D

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:18 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I don't use an electric motor but fly fish from a 2010 Outback. I use a Sierra stripping basket sitting in my lap. I have a fish finder set up on my right hand gunnel and can manage quite easily to cast between this and the peddles with minimum hang ups. Casting is easier than from a float tube. These new PA 12 look like a cool fly fishing platform.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:37 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

With the hobies, use a beach towel to place over your lap and cover the peddles at the same time. If you stand up use either a stripping basket or a towel over the drive.

You can also use a twin flat sheet folded over to cover the area of snags.

Stripping baskets are easy to make, buy a basket like what looks a laundry basket but much smaller or a dish washing bin. Drill drain holes if the container your using doesnt have any. Use a bungie cord to wrap around your waist, or a canvas belt works fine too.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:32 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Dave,
I fly fish from a Hobie Revolution 13 and find it comfortable with no need for a stripping basket. I am a Hobie Fishing Team member in the Mobile, Alabama area and fly fish salt and fresh water using fly in the Hobie. The Revo has a raised surface relative to the Mirage Drive opening, so I strip the fly line on this surface which is made up of the tacklebox lid between my legs. Check out the Pro Angler as it enables you to stand with balance and cast.

Please see an article I wrote recently published on fly fishing ergonomics on a post I will share as a separate post in a few minutes.

Tight lines,
Aaron Rubel
Hobie Fishing Team & Fairhope Boat Company Pro Staff

Mobile Bay Area of Gulf Coast

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:50 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If there is a launch area where you can drop off your yak, the new 12' PA should work for you. Buy the h bar attachment for easy in and out and support you while you look for fish and cast to them.

If you don't have long distances to go from the launch site, the Mirage system should work for you without any need for an electric motor.

coachdave wrote:
New to forum, hoping for help. I have a lake here in So Cal that doesn't allow float tubes but allows "sit on top" Kayaks. I want to fly fish from a kayak but I need to be able to move backwards (to be able to strip line in) and control the Kayak. I also need a place for the line to sit (like a stripping apron) but see that with the drive system, it doesn't seem there is any room on deck for that, and you are in a recumbent position. I was thinking of the evolve propulsion as it looks to go backwards. Couple of questions I have are: 1. How long does a charge last if only going slowly? 2. Are there any fly fishers currently using a Kayak for this? Any help or input is greatly appreciated.
Thank you.
Dave

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 3:11 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I fly fish out of my Outback and don't use an evolve drive (although am considering it). When I use a floating line, I strip into the water. When using a sinking line, because I'm standing, I tend to try and strip into the seat but I think a stripping basket will be needed so will probably just make one - although these flexi strippers look pretty nifty (I don't have a vested interest) http://www.jcflyfishing.com.au/SHOP/flexi.html

As far as going backwards goes, a friend has a cool hand paddle like an oversized table tennis bat and that works really well so I'm going to make one out of ply wood as well.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 7:28 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I went fly fishing from my Outback yesterday and tried the towel in the lap as opposed to my usual stripping basket. I would have to say that the towel seems to be the better option, covers a greater area and you can make a nice little hollow between your legs. I was using a shooting head. I had actually been trolling a fly on the shooting head over the weed beds on my favorite lake, this has been reasonably successful recently but very few fish were showing. After a very quiet 3 hours I anchored up and fished a deep drop off toward the end of the day and was rewarded with an absolute scorcher of a 6lb rainbow jack :D