Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:12 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 5:28 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I just picked up a '72 and it has the early mast base with the hook. Was wondering if someone could explain how to raise and lower the mast with this
base. In searching I found the upgrade to the link kit which I will install, but I still
want to know how the early system works. Was interesting lowering the mast
to transport my new gem home.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 9:18 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

First, be sure you have the mast bearing disk placed in the mast step/base. Also be sure your side rigging is attached and untangled. The mast step has a slot which faces the back of the boat. There should be a pin in this slot which the hook at the base of the mast will engage with. With the front of the mast facing straight up in the air place the hook at the base of the mast under the pin in the mast step. It's easiest with one person at the head of the mast and another guiding the base hook into the slot and beneath the pin. The partner at the head walks forward, lifting the mast to make it easier for the partner on the boat to raise it to the vertical position. If the original parts are still as designed and installed the hook at the base will not disengage from the pin until the base of the mast is engaged in the step.

I have raised the mast alone many times but it's just a bit tricky getting the mast base hook engaged with the slot from 13-20 feet away at mid-mast or further! Either method is best accomplished with a pad on the rear crossbar to protect it from the mast. Line up and engage the hook and pin. Gently lay the mast down on the rear crossbar padding. Climb gently onto the trampoline and use a safe lifting method to raise the mast to the vertical position. I say do this gently since you don't want to bounce the mast and boat around too much with all the leveraged pressure at the point of the hook/pin. I can imagine that rough handling might lead to breaking this equipment with sad results mid-lift. A safety line between the bottom of the mast to the front crossbar would be a good idea in case of a failure at this point.

The Hobie 16 FAQ at this main forum gives some hints about how to go about raising the mast and securing the rigging when you do it on your own. The hints above should help with the original equipment.

Lowering the mast is the reverse. Just be sure the mast is facing straight forward and backward so the hook engages in the slot and with the pin. Remember to set it down gently so it doesn't over-stress the hook and pin.

Cheers!

H16Number269
Original Owner

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 7:41 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

When I went to get the boat the mast was raised and I needed to lower it. I saw the hook and pin arrangment, but it seemed that the mast would have to be laying horizontal before the hook could engage the pin. We have lots of H18 experience and can manhandle that mast so we just lowered the h16 mast
by hand. I guess I don't see how it is possible to engage the hook and pin when
they are far apart when the mast is up. Will be installing the link kit but wanted to understand the old system.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 7:06 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Make sure you tie a line from the dolphin striker rod to the mast base. If you miss the hook, the line will keep the mast from pivoting and smacking the ground behind you. Never let anyone "catch" the mast for you. Only allow your assistant to hold the mast after you have it down at your waist level under control enough to gently hand the tip to them. If you drop the mast on the ground, it will bounce and make a lot of noise that you can tell tales of later, but is the same dropped mast conks someone on the noggin, then you will be telling your tale in court. :-)