Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:12 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: advice for first salt
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 9:24 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I've got a beach house rented for the family in Oxnard, CA for 5 days in a few weeks. I'm considering taking my i9s but have ZERO experience yak fishing in the salt. This is a virtually featureless stretch of coastline. I will be throwing only artificial baits and had planned on carrying some soft jerkbaits, swimbaits, and maybe a spoon or spinnerbait or two. Very minimal.

First question: I'll have 2-3 hours each morning to fish. Is it worth the expense and trouble to get the yak out there for this?

Second question (assuming yes to first): any artificial bait recommendations?

Third question: What kinds of fish can I expect to have a chance at catching and should I carry a landing net? No nets needed for my usual prey - LMB!

Fishing mostly in N. Tx.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 11:02 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Keep in mind the tide and which way it will move you so you don't find yourself a long way down current from your launch point. I will refrain from answering your other questions because I have never fished the west coast.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 8:24 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi, I haven't sailed off of Oxnard/Ventura yet here are some links that will help you out.

Oxnard Shores Surf Forecast / California – http://www.surf-forecast.com/breaks/Oxnard-Shores/forecasts/latest/six_day#
Oxnard Shores Tide Times - http://www.surf-forecast.com/breaks/Oxnard-Shores/tides/latest

Kiddie Beach, protected launch spot - http://www.lotsafunmaps.com/Ventura/Kiddie_Beach_Park_Channel_Islands_Harbor.html

If you are going to fish pay close attention to the current protected areas http://www.dfg.ca.gov/mlpa/scmpas_list.asp

Hope these help.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 9:01 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I've fished the West Coast very little, however I fish the Gulf of Mexico a lot. I'll speak in general terms.

1. Boga grip or similar is better than a net. The net may get in the way when not in use and most of what is netable can be picked up with your hand or boga and you won't want to net the big stuff, best to pull the hook or cut the line.
2. Have everything leashed or tied down. You will likely flip at some point.
3. Practice flipping and re-entry. Know the flipping point of your yak... how far can you lean or the boat pitch before you take a swim.
4. Practice going out and back in through the surf before you have gear and rods on the yak.
5. Once you know the limits of you and your yak... its time to fish. Yes, two to three hours a day is worth taking packing the yak. I bet you will find more time once you've tried it.
6. Only take one or two rods with you until you know what you are doing. Too much stuff will get in the way, especially when fighting the fish circling your boat.
7. Artificial bait... I have never used artificial baits. I read a lot about "fish bites" and hear they work well, I plan to try them this summer. Salty fish like FRESH bait. I recommend catching your bait with a throw net or use a sabiki rig.
8. Try trolling with a large, flashy lure.
9. Whatever you do, you'll have a blast and will want to return soon.
10. One more important item... FLAPS UP!... if you are using a mirage, you must keep the fins up and pinned against the yak other wise you'll hit the sand bar or beach and bend the rods.

Tight lines and bent rods!

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 9:02 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I had a boat in the harbor for years. The ocean at Oxnard and the Channel Islands is always ROUGH!!

Plan to fish the harbor, great Halibut fishing, live bait is available or your favorite plastics.

There is a constant flow thru the harbor, so the Halibut are good to eat.

Lots of other fun stuff to catch and no 4 footers to deal with.

Beautiful beaches with few people

Have a great time !!!

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 10:40 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I was thinking this myself. I would be willing to trade a guided bass or striper trip on my bass boat in nor cal for someone to call 911 when a shark bites my face. My salt water experience is years ago in the puget sound. No stinking monster great whites. I really want to salt fish in a yak, but I am scared sh1tli$$ of sharks. My luck ain't so good, and I know there is one waiting for me, he tried to friend me on Facebook. Lol

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 3:41 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Brambo wrote:
I was thinking this myself. I would be willing to trade a guided bass or striper trip on my bass boat in nor cal for someone to call 911 when a shark bites my face. My salt water experience is years ago in the puget sound. No stinking monster great whites. I really want to salt fish in a yak, but I am scared sh1tli$$ of sharks. My luck ain't so good, and I know there is one waiting for me, he tried to friend me on Facebook. Lol

If your really worried about sharks look into a 'shark shield' $600 new and used around $300.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 7:03 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Just returned from Oxnard and it was fabulous. Unfortunately, no fish to report - but I'll be back! However, we did feast daily on fresh fish from a tiny restaurant/market run by 3 generations of fishermen (we met them all) called The Fisherman's Catch in the Von's supermarket center.

Yes, the surf/ocean was extremely rough. Way too rough for launching off the beach. I tried once - and was destroyed. My brand new ($20) Scotty paddle leash was ripped apart! Tip from me: make your own leashes.

Channel Islands Harbor is beautiful and really the only safe place to launch. There is a Hobie dealer in the harbor called Channel Islands Kayak and is owned by former surfing champ and great guy Mike Lamm. Mike rents kayaks by the hour (not Hobies) and also runs guided kayak tours of the islands and the harbor. He keeps the gate open to the docks near his shop and welcomed me to launch my yak there.

Fishing mostly in N. Tx.