Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:27 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 8:05 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Sold an H16 and my AI last summer, to consolidate to a 2011 TI. Got it, spent most of the rest of the East Coast season converting a Trailex so that it had four support positions for the TI. Sailed some, started wondering...

Has anybody rigged barberhaulers for this boat yet? The sail seems to deform a lot in stronger breezes. Some of this is because the leech and the clew are cupped, curved back in too far, by the amidships mainsheet lead angle. So barber haulers would help this (as they did on the AI). But how do you rig them? Doesn't seem obvious. Anybody do this yet??

It's great that there are two steering positions, but the handle movement is very stiff. Since I sail in shifting breezes a lot, I'm correcting a lot, and this stiff movement takes some of the joy out of it all. I've loosened the tension on the steering lines, but that doesn't seem to help much. Any thoughts here??

Finally, if the right way to sail a TI solo in a breeze is from the rear seat, how then do you control the centerboard, which is next to the front seat. Am I building some kine of dedicated stick with an angled ring on the end so that I can reach this from the back seat, lever up the knob (in the down and locked position) and thus raise and lower the board without leaving the back seat??

Thanks for your help

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 9:45 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Congrats on the TI!

I haven't done a barberhauler yet, and my "poor man's" barberhauler for the AI won't work on the TI, because the sail is so munch longer. What I will try, is a simple one, made from a large snap-clip with line looped through the rear plastic padeyes of both ama (probably using snap clips also). You really only need to use it go going mostly strait downwind, which is not as fast or efficient as sailing a more 45 degrees off downwind (the AI & TI's fastest point of sail).

On your stiff steering, mine was also. I finally found that the steering lines inside the hull were wrapped around each other, causing more friction. I had to loosen the rudder a little, and pop one line off the steering crank inside the hull and re-run it to fix. Something to check for? Also, I like my steering lines snug. But if they are too tight, the steering does get stiffer. Lastly, check that the lie hasn't come off the little pulley up near the front hatch. That can make it very hard to steer.

I'm one of the odd men out, sailing my TI solo from the front seat, where everything is (and loading up my gears weight in the far back), but the back seat should be better in larger waves and probably for fishing (with some gear weight forward for trim) . I still mainly fish (and solo) from my AI.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 11:51 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Have not recived my ordered AI yet but I read of course, with great interest, everything about the AI.

This barberhauler I understand is something to hold out the sail when having wind right from behind. Could someone post a photo of a barberhauler.

What is a "poor man's" barberhauler?

br
thomas (very curious)

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 12:31 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Here's my "poor man's" barberhauler for the AI:

For the TI, it would have to be attached to the ama or aka as the sail when pulled out goes beyond the ama.

A full barberhauler would be (IMO) a loop of line from one ama rear plastic padeye to the other ama rear plastic eye, and connect both ends together with something (snap clip?) to attach to the clew of the sail (back point), or to the sheet lines going to/from the clew.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 12:45 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Oops, a quick description. It's just a line with a stainless steel "S" hook tied on one end. I prefer a loop of bungee in place of the short rope that comes with the sail, which I hook onto, then use the plastic cleat on the gunnel on one side of the hull to hold it. I cleat it in a way, that if a strong gust or the wind picks up I can just pull the end to release.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 1:48 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Bob, thank you for the tips on things to check inside on the steering. Everyone else, I'm still interested in anything about centerboard control from the rear seat.

It's true the barber hauler seems more of a problem on theTI--how to rig it that is.

OK I also have to confess I've spent a lot of time trying to make various boats go fast, and used the barber hauler on the AI at times even on a close reach, to just slightly move the clew of the sail outboard a little. It's the same effect as you get with a traveler on the H16, or many other boats.

When I look at the TI's sail, in any kind of breeze, on most reaches, I feel I would have less weather helm and at least marginally better speed, and not have to roll in a reef so quickly--if I could just lead the sail clew outboard some. It's a bigger sail, the mast bends off more, and the whole shape deforms more quickly than it did on the AI. So that's a long way of saying I can be the sort of finicky person who would use the barber hauler on reaches as well as runs. Not for everybody I know. :-)

The other thing that bothers me is the interaction between any barber hauler and the up and down play in the amas caused by loosely fitting akas in the main hull sockets. I raised this question in a post next to this one. If I use the barber hauler on a reach, the tension is going pull the stern of the aka up 6 inches or so.

Anyway, thanks for the tips. I'll chime in again about the barber hauler if I do anything interesting about it. But I may fool around with some TI3 ideas before going too far with anything.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 6:36 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hi Mike. Have you considered a flexiboom ( thread attached ) Don't know if anyone has rigged one to a TI but can't see why the results wouldn't be the same. I never go sailing without it and it basically does the same job as a Bauber Hauler.

viewtopic.php?f=69&t=39775

Don't take life too seriously................it ain't permanent.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 12:43 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Too dangerous on a TI, I think. There is so much sail, and it fills and overloads quickly. If you're in the back, there's no practical way to manage it.

I'm always impressed at the way the TI moves in light wind. On the AI, I need to use my barber and the pedals at times to keep up with a stock TI.

Mike- you could try adding a 2-3' shock cord (to act as a snubber) on your BH. This will really help with shifting wind force and direction. The sail will maintain a nice shape and it will relieve the strains on your clew and cleat.

Got tramps? Sounds like you need to stash the wife out on the windward Ama. If you let her work the lines/dagger, I think you'll sail better and both really enjoy the teamwork.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 2:02 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thanks for pics, Kbob!

I have sailed small dinghys and then we used a traveler. Not only for downwind. In light winds you move traveler to the middle and let out the sail to shape a twist to sail. In harder wind you let traveler go more leewards and thighten sail to plane it out.

The use of barber hauler seems to be more like fixing a jib to stand out and catch wind.

br thomas

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 4:31 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hey guys--what's a BH????

I tend to agree about not using a flexiboom on the TI. Also, I tend to be on smaller lakes much more than I like, so things change very quickly. I dream of clean winds unruffled by trees and hills, but I'm too busy to get 2.5 hours to the coast and so bash around adjusting like mad 20 minutes away a lot.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 5:13 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thomas, if used correctly, you can create a "virtual mainsheet traveller" by setting up barber haulers on both sides. In face you can exceed the capabilities of a traveller, as you can manipulate a pulley on the mainsheet in three dimensions in space (eg not just horizontally).

Of course this begs the question as to whether this sort of "formula one" sail control is justified on what is clearly designed to be a recreational, rather than competition, vessel

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 8:17 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

tonystott wrote:
Thomas, if used correctly, you can create a "virtual mainsheet traveller" by setting up barber haulers on both sides.
Of course this begs the question as to whether this sort of "formula one" sail control is justified on what is clearly designed to be a recreational, rather than competition, vessel

Hi Tonystott

I will look into this when my AI is delivered. No this is not a racer but maybe theres some resonable measures you can make to get the most out of the AI.

br
thomas

Post subject: Barber Haul
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 9:45 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

As mentioned by another member, I tried the fiberglas rod running along the foot (bottom) of the sail. It really held the sail shape until the wind came up! I had to scramble to pop the rod apart so I could reef the sail.
I ended up attaching a barberhaul set of lines and small pulleys to the amas with a stainless hook. The barberhaul only takes a second to release for reefing.

I kept the rod for use when I know that the wind is going to consistently gentle.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 10:57 am 
Site Rank - Captain

tonystott wrote:

Very true. :D

On the other hand, "one person's overkill is another person's recreation...' Since I can't take trips on the boat, don't have scenic waters, and do have finicky winds, I like to fool around with such things. And simple bungee barber haulers on the AI were very effect on reaches as well as runs.
"

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 11:38 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

BH=Barber Hauler