Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:03 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 8:47 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

hi guys,love this forum. Just curious what hobie mirage drive kayak you suggest for fishing smaller lakes. For the most part I can drive close to body of water to launch.On occasion I might have to portage a little ways,but nothing to serious.These lakes are small and have no fishing pressure at all and access sometimes is by 4x4 only. Let me know your thoughts,I'm just getting into Hobies,but do have 3 models now..lol please keep it Hobie,not looking to get off track.
Thanks
:D

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 10:56 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Anyone?? :D Comeon,jump in and let me know your thoughts. I do have a hawk 14 to use too,but hoping to keep it Hobie..lol Whats your preference or experience on small water lakes? Kinda thinking the Revo 11 will do well here..maybe the Outback? How about the Sport?
Cheers :!:

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 3:53 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I will put a vote in for the Revolution 11. I picked one up this spring and I find it a great kayak. I fish mostly small to medium size lakes in upstate NY. Depending on your size, the Revolution 13 is also a wonderful kayak :D

1 other kayak for son

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 4:05 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

ADKFUN wrote:
I will put a vote in for the Revolution 11. I picked one up this spring and I find it a great kayak. I fish mostly small to medium size lakes in upstate NY. Depending on your size, the Revolution 13 is also a wonderful kayak :D

ADKFUN..Now were talking..I have the Revo 11,havent been on the water yet with it. I was thinking this may be one of my best bets. Should be easy enough to handle in and out of water.Doubt I will be able to stand and fish,but gonna try..lol Just sold my Revo 13 ,and used funds for a new Outback.Im hoping the Outback is a better all around fishing boat than the Revo 13.
Cheers :D

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 2:51 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

You will love it! Very easy to fling around. I have no trouble placing in my Thule rack . Obviously, you already have a fleet, but Think you will like the ease of transporting the revo 11 into those hard to access lakes :)

1 other kayak for son

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 3:05 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

ADKFUN wrote:
You will love it! Very easy to fling around. I have no trouble placing in my Thule rack . Obviously, you already have a fleet, but Think you will like the ease of transporting the revo 11 into those hard to access lakes :)

Haha..yes a fleet.I usually go overboard when getting into something. Really excited to use the Hobies this season. I will post pics of the fleet soon..lol
Thanks again for your thoughts..
Cheers

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:27 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

My wife has an outback and i have a PA. We got them for fun, but also to fish the small lakes in Nicolet National Forest.

We did some scouting to find a few lakes that we could portage. We fished two in one day and it was great. We caught bass and panfish and saw one other person all day.

It was a very fun day and exploring lakes in the forest will be part of our all of our trips. We have five more we will try in the near future.

Total time to go from getting to the lakes and both kayaks in the water, fifteen minutes. Same to load.

If you have any ideas on lakes to try, feel free to share with the class.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:08 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have had my outback down little creeks, hopping beaver dams, and catching fish. It's such a stable boat, drafts shallow, and not too bad to portage. Beside some public spots we fish lakes northish of Sceney. We have access to some private stuff that is a riot to fish. Depending on the trails to the lakes, if you can do a Pro Angler 12 you'd be money!

Pete

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:44 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

How small is small. A couple of ponds/ lakes I fish here in Wino country don't really need a Mirage unit. Also, by the middle of June, moss/algae/aqua plant growth are totally around the ponds. A mirage wouldn't be worth the messing around.

Your Revo 11 with the Mirage Cassette in place or a Quest would be an excellent alternative unless you need to stand and cast. Since you own a Revo just put the Cassette in and use paddle it on small lakes with a lot of moss/algae/aqua plant growth

I use my Freedom Hawk 12 so I can stand up and fly cast once I get out past the moss/algae/aqua plant growth. I anchor about 60 to 90' from the edges of the moss/algae/aqua growth and cast up to the edges. Somtimes, with the wind to my back, I will use an intermediate poly leader to let a crawdad fly or a small Clouser fly drift under the moss/algae/aqua growth. That borders on the unfair. Usually, I get a strike from a LMB a few feet under the growth and have never got past a couple of feet on the retrieve.

Regardless of the Yak, an anchor trolley saves you a lot of time and effort and can put you into easy range to your target. I use a simple and easy to use 3# salmon lead weight ball. I attach the ball to the business end of my Anchor trolley rig, go out about an extra 20-30 feet from my target zone for my fly. Then, I drop the anchor ball and wait until I feel the good grab. Then, I stand up and start casting.

actionjackson wrote:
hi guys,love this forum. Just curious what hobie mirage drive kayak you suggest for fishing smaller lakes. For the most part I can drive close to body of water to launch.On occasion I might have to portage a little ways,but nothing to serious.These lakes are small and have no fishing pressure at all and access sometimes is by 4x4 only. Let me know your thoughts,I'm just getting into Hobies,but do have 3 models now..lol please keep it Hobie,not looking to get off track.
Thanks
:D