Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:21 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 7:36 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I just took my new Hobie 16 out for the first time, and it was awesome!!! I learned to sail via windsurfing, and most aspects apply. However, I'm having a problem with the rudders constantly pulling towards the upwind line. In order to maintain direction, I'm required to constantly maintain extreme pressure against the rudder to avoid turnin into the wind, and it's a huge problem. My windsurfing background would suggest that I have the mast tilted too far towards the stern, forcing the boat to want to turn into the wind. This is an early 80's boat. The only change I've made from standard setup is the jib stay line is about 3 inches above the bow lines to add a 10 hole stay to the jib stay (in other words, the jib stay is attached to the bottom hole of the 10 hole stay). All I can say, is its literally taking me a good 50-80 lbs of pressure to simply make the boat and rudders maintain straight sailing.

Thanks a million for any insight!

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 8:17 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I would guess that it is related to the rudders (maybe not being locked down)
Check our Support link at the top of this page and review the rudder cam locking instructions. Rudder rake will have a big impact on helm, not only your rig rake.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 9:20 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Do you know how to properly latch down the rudders? 50 to 80 LBS of weather helm is almost certainly the result of not having the rudders down all the way. When the rudders are properly locked down, you will hear them "click" into place and the tiller arm will be held down securely. If you look at the top of the lower casting, you will see a plastic "cam" that rotates and hooks the upper casting to hold it down.

If you are unsure about how to properly lock down the rudders, I suggest practicing on dry land with the boat on the trailer.

If the rudders are fully locked down and you're still having issues with helm (pull on the tiller), then it is likely an issue of rudder rake, mast rake, or sail trim (main sheeted in too hard relative to the jib).

sm

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 1:03 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Or maybe your rudders are backwards. Try swapping sides L > R, R > L
If your rudder assembly was off when ya bought the boat it's an easy goof. The first time I took my H16 out it steered very funny and pulled hard, once I swapped 'em around it was very easy and non straining to sail.
Tim

Memphis, TN fleet 134
Hobie 20! G-Cat5.0 and 2 Hobie 14's
Photobucket now wants $100 to post pics on forums......... pass.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 5:52 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I really appreciate the responses! I've been reviewing the forums after this post, and that seemed to be a common trigger. The rudders were constantly jumping up, and the locking system was not working. I used a bunch of wd40 to try and free up the locks a bit, an I'm going to try another dry run tomorrow. If the problem persists, I'll pull off the system and investigate further.

To add another couple issues, I broke a piece of the sail track off where the sail enters the extension. Now... The sail exits the track when it hits the gap, and I have to take the mast down to feed it through. I'm assuming I can buy another track, any thoughts? Finally, my tack plate has fallen off completely. I tried to use a grommet to hold it, but that ripped off this weekend and now it's holding by the rope thy runs the edge of the sail. I'm going to try and locate a sail shop here in town, but will it hold on that rope if I ride a couple times this weekend? I'm in ft. Myers, fl with 10-15 winds, so it's not particularly brutal wind. Thoughts?

Again, I'm blown away by the help you've all offered, and you can count on me offering my insight going forward (once I'm a more seasoned sailor) ;-)

BW

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 6:40 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Fxloop wrote:
If your rudder assembly was off when ya bought the boat it's an easy goof. The first time I took my H16 out it steered very funny and pulled hard, once I swapped 'em around it was very easy and non straining to sail.
Tim

The tiller arms should angle towards the center of the boat when the rudders are pointed straight ahead.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 7:23 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

MBounds wrote:
Fxloop wrote:
Tim

The tiller arms should angle towards the center of the boat when the rudders are pointed straight ahead.

And to help you remember which side they go on, roll some red and green electrical tape on the tillers.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 9:37 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

bprice wrote:
To add another couple issues, I broke a piece of the sail track off where the sail enters the extension. Now... The sail exits the track when it hits the gap, and I have to take the mast down to feed it through. I'm assuming I can buy another track, any thoughts?
Should be fixable. Call a Hobie dealer for the part.

bprice wrote:
Finally, my tack plate has fallen off completely. I tried to use a grommet to hold it, but that ripped off this weekend and now it's holding by the rope thy runs the edge of the sail. I'm going to try and locate a sail shop here in town, but will it hold on that rope if I ride a couple times this weekend?

Fix the sail first. It won't get better by itself or through use. Maybe time for a new sail?

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 9:53 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Knighton Sails has a loft in Punta Gorda. 941-347-8325

The Loft in Fort Myers also advertises doing sail repair. 239-466-6857