Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:07 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:25 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

CAN ANYBODY SEND PICS OF A PA 14 WITH HOBIE ANCHOR TROLLEY INSTALLED. I JUST WANT TO DO IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME AND HAVEN'T FOUND A VIDEO ON YOUTUBE SPECIFICALLY FOR A PA 14. THANKS IN ADVANCE.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:56 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I know it's not PA 14 specific but I sure liked the one found on Hobie Kayak tech. The install he did looks like the same thing that would be done on the PA 14.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:10 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I use this no-drill method. It works great.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JROsIl3LDaY[/youtube]

2020 Hobie Outback

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:40 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I found this video to be very helpful. They show the install on a Revolution, but they talk about the Pro Angler install throughout the video.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2x5JRdQvmI[/youtube]

Last edited by TDK on Mon May 14, 2012 4:21 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:59 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

BEREEL wrote:
CAN ANYBODY SEND PICS OF A PA 14 WITH HOBIE ANCHOR TROLLEY INSTALLED. I JUST WANT TO DO IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME AND HAVEN'T FOUND A VIDEO ON YOUTUBE SPECIFICALLY FOR A PA 14. THANKS IN ADVANCE.

I installed an anchor trolley on my PA last night. Not the Hobie one, but one that I just bought the parts for and made. I'll see if I can get some pictures uploaded tonight. I know you're asking for the Hobie version, but the principle is the same.

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2015 Pro Angler 14 - Papaya
2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:10 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

All you really need are 28' of light cord and a large carabiner. Loop the cord through the front and back handles, and tie to the carabiner. Done.

To make it better and to keep the cord from slipping up over the rails (due to the PA's curved sides) you could install two pad eyes four or five feet apart on the side of the 'yak. Feed the control (non-carabiner) side of the cord through them.

The carabiner allows you to easily clip the anchor line into or out of the trolley, as another bonus.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:52 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have installed my anchor trolley the detachable way as mentioned in an earlier post. If you got on you tube and search yakntexas he has good video on how to.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:57 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Has anyone installed one the full length of the boat and wished they had only done half? I have not installed mine yet because i was not sure if the full length was needed or what side it should be on.

Thanks

2012 Hobie Pro Angler
Ivory Dune

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:57 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Mhamaker wrote:
Has anyone installed one the full length of the boat and wished they had only done half? I have not installed mine yet because i was not sure if the full length was needed or what side it should be on.

Thanks

Mine runs the full length of the PA and I really like the flexibility that offers me. I keep rods in the vertical rod holders behind the seat and I always use the safety flag mounted next to the rudder cover on the stern. I prefer to position my PA so I have a clear area to sidearm cast out over the bow of the boat. Being able to position the anchor clip fully to the bow or stern allows me to have a clear casting area no matter the direction of the current or where I'm trying to cast. I'm not sure it makes a big difference, but I put my trolley on the port side so I can sit and hold my fishing rod with my right hand while adjusting the trolley position with my left hand. It works for me -- here's a picture.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 5:34 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Sorry I didn't get the picture of mine up last night. Too busy getting ready to pre-fish today for a tournament on the 12th. Here's my setup. It's the temporary one. I have another black rope version I'm making. I put this one together last night to try it out today.

It's not from a kit. Put together with parts from Home Depot/Lowes. It worked fairly well. We had 10-20 mph winds at times. There were time when I didn't use the anchor trolley, but just shoved my SOP through one of the front scupper holes.

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 7:33 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I copied Yakntexas and used pullies with bungee cords no holes and easy install

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 9:13 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Here's my anchor trolley write up...

http://yakfisher.net/blog/2012/05/11/whats-better-than-one-anchor-trolley-two/

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 9:51 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Bubbleboy - That's a sweet setup. I've not seen one mounted on top of the yak like that before. Let me know, after you've used it a bit, if you would have preferred to move it more towards the outside. Looks real good. :D

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 8:35 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Bubbleboy wrote:

Adam,

That setup looks awesome! I like the idea of using shock cord versus rope for keeping the line taught. I'll probably be changing mine out to the dual system like yours. Luckily the four holes drilled for my setup above are small and can be easily filled in.

Did you run that back inner line through the rear loops where that factory shock cord runs through or is just laying close?

I just finished fishing the Jacksonville Kayak Classic. We had over 400 kayakers entered. The conditions were tough at times with 15-20 knot winds. While my anchor tolly setup worked, there were times where I just put my stake out pole through the rear scupper as that kept my anchor point closer to the center when I wanted to backed up into the bank with the wind at my back.

BTW...all the kayakers that paddled had a heck of a time coming in as most had to paddle against those headwinds to get back to their launch points. The Mirage drive sure made it easy! I talked to guys that had to hug the bank and use there paddles in the ground to move sometimes...lol.

The idea of a anchor point on each side and the ability to adjust either to orientate where you are facing is a great idea. Thanks for sharing!

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 9:32 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I'm going to add a trolley to my PA in the near future. That Jac Classic yesterday was a beast in the wind and the trolley would have definitely been handy. I'm just using a SOP through a scupper right now but sure wished I would have had the availability to get that anchor point all the way to the bow or stern depending on what the wind was doing. It would be very useful when setting up to fish current and wind blown points!

You're right about the advantage of the Mirage drive in the wind though. I had to boys from SC try to follow me throughout the day. They just could stay with me in the wind and current. The only tim I had issues was when fishing into the incoming tide with the 20 knot winds blowing at my back. It made the PA really want to spin to one side or the other instead of tracking straight down the bank. At least I was able to keep fishing though!!!