Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:50 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pro angler help
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:45 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello all I'm new to this board and have questions hoping to get some help. I currently have a Kayak but I have been eying a pro angler for quite some time. I have been back n forth and had all the negatives throw at me weight, price, can't fish shallow I think I have heard it all. I purchased another kayak and by all means I do enjoy it but ready to go to the next level. I have test drove one and was very impressed other than my legs were very tired. My questions for all of you are is it worth the price and should I be concerned fishing shallow. I fish the Texas coast all the time and worried about the mirage drive being torn up. And how it really handles in the Texas coastal wind..
thanks

Post subject: Re: Pro angler help
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:20 am 
Site Rank - Captain

The "unable to fish shallow water" criticism is a farce. You can do either of a couple of things: flutter the pedals with shallow strokes or, you can push pole the PA.

As far as weight, I think the major concern there is if you were trying to car-top it. As has been stated in this forum several times, you will never be picking up the entire weight of the boat at one time. Hobie makes a great cart to use to haul the PA from the vehicle to launch point if you can't drive right up to the launch.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:46 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Like anything, including a brick, you can certainly destroy the Mirage Drive if you try hard enough.

Some common sense use will quickly prove to you that the Mirage Drive is a pretty darn durable and dependable unit. The few things that could get broken or damaged in hard or abusive use, can generally be repaired very quickly with just a few spare parts. Often this task can be done "on the water."

I have 3 Mirage Drive units and have been using the system since 2005. In all that time I've bent one mast fin (repaired it with a vise and pliers) and torn a hole in one fin (fixed that with GOOP.)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:01 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have had my PA since summer of 09. First trip out I bent both masts and tore one fin...........but it was my fault, I ran over the top of a boulder that was just under the water's surface. I could not see the boulder because the water surface was rippled by the wind. I straightened both masts, replaced the fin (kept the old one for a spare) and have not had a problem since.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:40 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I guess one way you could think of it is like this: in all the time I've been reading this forum or another, while non-owners constantly and primarily complain about the weight of the Pro Angler, I've never heard or seen one Pro Angler owner complain about not being able to stand up and fish, not having enough rod holders, or about not having enough storage room for gear. Nor have I heard a PA owner complain about being able to propel the kayak and fish at the same time.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:28 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Time Bandit wrote:
I guess one way you could think of it is like this: in all the time I've been reading this forum or another, while non-owners constantly and primarily complain about the weight of the Pro Angler, I've never heard or seen one Pro Angler owner complain about not being able to stand up and fish, not having enough rod holders, or about not having enough storage room for gear. Nor have I heard a PA owner complain about being able to propel the kayak and fish at the same time.

Great comments!

There's no one kayak out there that will satisfy every individual's needs. That's why we all modify or rig them a little differently. While some might argue whether the PA14 (or even the PA12) is a kayak or not, I firmly believe that every PA owner will agree that the positives far outway the negatives.

I haven't seen any PAs for sale where the owner stated they were selling them to buy a different kayak. It makes a great starting platform and fishes just fine without modification. But we all like to tinker and modify...right? Just a few thoughts from a happy PA owner!

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2015 Pro Angler 14 - Papaya
2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:23 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I bought my PA three weeks ago; it's my first kayak. I've only had it out twice (including this morning) but it handles like a dream. I don't find the leg effort any different than walking, to be honest. I'm a little bit tired right now, but I pedaled for five hours - and I walked 18 holes of golf yesterday, too.

Weight? Look, I'm 65 years old, am nothing like a body builder and I get my PA on top of my Durango with no problem. The rack up there is above the top of my head and I need a step stool to cinch the tiedowns snug, but getting the 'yak up and down is simply not an issue.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:41 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I will address the "can't go shallow issue." A majority of my fishing is shallow in less than a foot of water during low tide. I am usually sight fishing in the shallows, and I remove the mirage drive and pole around the area that I am fishing. As others have mentioned you can also flutter the fins and still be able to move. Get the Hobie HD cart and weight is no problem. I have been kayaking fishing for about 8 years now, and the PA in my opinion is second to none for all applications.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:31 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Best Boat on the Market .......Period.....

Weight.......... not an issue, you lift less than half of the boat at a time.....50lbs? I load and unload mine by myself No problem

Shallow Water......Not an issue....Pole, Paddle, Flutter the fins, Problem solved....

I love My PA, I can fish deep water with little effort, with no worries of flipping, and I can go in skinny water , Stand up and stalk Reds....
The Horizontal Rod storage is awsome. I have everything on my Yak ready to launch when I get to the launch On board Tackle Storage.....PLUS

I have tinkered with a couple rigging options, but this boat is Fantastic Straight out of the Plastic!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:50 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

thanks for everyone's help Love the boat love the stability and there is no end to the rigging that can go into this kayak. I guess I will need to sell my current yak and save to buy this one. If I do have to paddle is it a bear to handle????????

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 6:36 am 
Site Rank - Captain

As someone who just upgraded from a Ride 135 to a PA in the last 3 weeks, I'll say this about paddling....

It is a little slower to start moving but once you gain momentum, it tracks very well (rudder up or down). I live on a bay and it's barely ankle deep for 50 to 100 feet, depending on tides, so I always have to paddle out to get to water deep enough to insert the mirage drive. I find it easy. For me, I move as far forward as possible on the seat and work my paddle as close as possible to the bow, where the beam narrows. Works like a charm.

All that being said, I paddled exclusively last year. Listened to a LOT of people who owned Hobie's talk about how great they were. I always supposed it was at least in part because they threw down big bucks to join the Hobie Club. After a couple of weeks with the PA, I can honestly say I'd love this boat even if it were the cheapest one on the market. Really a great boat and the favorite one I've ever owned. BTW, I've had one other kayak and about a half dozen PB's. I NEVER want another power boat, ever!

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 11:55 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Buying a kayak is an exercise in compromise. I love my PA. It is a great big water machine that is so comfortable to fish out of. Yes, it is heavy. I also fish places where I have to scale a 20 ft vertical dirt bank, and I did launch my PA there once. Never again. When you have very rough launch sites where you cannot roll your PA to the water, but must carry drag, and lift, get a lighter kayak that is essentially indestructible. I have 2 Native Ultimate 14.5's for that kind of fishing. There are a ton of others that would suit that need too, but not a PA. I agree with all the above comments about shallow water. It is a non issue if you are careful, and willing to pole, paddle, and take the drive out. Compromise, compromise, and compromise. Those are the reason we all need multiple kayaks.