Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:55 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: How To Avoid Huge Ships
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 9:54 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Amazon has a very helpful book which is highly recommended for all of us, especially those racing in the Hobie 16 & 20 North Americans in San Francisco Bay next month. It's called How To Avoid Huge Ships.

Obviously the men in this photo read it before participating in last year's Division 3 regatta in the same venue. Just be certain you order the 2nd Edition since the first edition has a critical miscalculation, an error corrected in the 2nd Edition.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 12:24 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Its 180$ for 112 pages. Very expensive!

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 12:46 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

for most people common sense is free. for others, they just dont have enough money to buy it!

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 2:31 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

jmecky wrote:
Its 180$ for 112 pages. Very expensive!

Wow. . . I didn't notice the price drop from December price of $999.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 4:48 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

sxrracer wrote:
for most people common sense is free. for others, they just dont have enough money to buy it!

+1

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 7:47 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thanks for the link. Do you think it comes with some kind of certificate of completion.Be kool to frame and hang on the inside of my boat.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 8:47 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The first five or six comments on the book at Amazon are pretty funny. I'm still trying to figure out this offer at Amazon, though:

Quote:
When you buy this book now for $178.99 and sell it back later for a $0.50 Amazon.com Gift Card, it could cost you as little as $178.49.
Sound like a great deal...

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 7:51 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I went head to head with the USS Enterprise which resulted in a lot of horn blowing. I did have the Right of Way I was in a sailboat plus I had the starboard tack.
The US Navy wanted to make a big deal of it
Former Hobie Admiral Gary

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 8:45 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

gary eudy wrote:
I went head to head with the USS Enterprise which resulted in a lot of horn blowing. I did have the Right of Way I was in a sailboat plus I had the starboard tack.
The US Navy wanted to make a big deal of it
Former Hobie Admiral Gary

Starboard tack?> Sailboat vs. Navy ship? really? lol

You know that starboard tack doesn't apply there... A Navy ship or freighters have right of way in most every situation - it's called the 'Tonnage rule' (You might read up on it)

Lucky to be alive I'd say...

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 9:12 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

anyone in a small sailboat that think they have ROW over 'Heavy Metal' is kidding themselves... dead kidding. large vessels have rights since they have limited maneuverability, espcially if they are navigating in a marked channel.

we have a lot of experience with this in a heavily trafficed area of Raritan Bay in NJ. over the last 10 years I have seen a pleasure boat RUN OVER by a fuel barge being pushed by a tug, because they were fishing IN THE CHANNEL (this after the vessel sounded the 5 blast warning). we have had the Coast Guard RESTRICT the areas we can hold races in because of damn arrogant acts by some racers, like sailing under the bow of a 400' long tanker (who is steaming at 15 knots) because they didn't want to give up the tack they were on.

you don't need a book to tell you the smartest tactic is to stay away from large ships, period.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 9:47 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

gary eudy wrote:

I hope you're kidding here. As mentioned above, you were without a doubt in the wrong, Admiral. Contrary to what many sailors think, travelling under wind power does not unquestionably entitle you to right of way. The purpose of the right of way rules is to give prescedence to the less manuverable vessle. In this case, it was most certainly the ship. Large ships in narrow channels definitely have ROW, and of course, the law of gross tonnage always applies. I'd also imagine that interfering with a US Navy ship is a good way to get locked up.

From my own experience, I find that in most cases, it's better to assume that the other vessle won't yield whether burdoned to do so or not. Unless I'm in a close race, I'd rather just slow down and or change course slightly. Avoid collisions at all costs, give all vessles a wide berth, and sail with much less stress. That's what it's all about afterall.

sm

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 10:26 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Good one, Gary. You netted three with your crack. That's much better than me, since I didn't get any.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 10:27 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You may want to check out the video of how tonnage wins in the Hobie Forum:
Tonnage wins... even on a race course!

http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=37510

87 H14T
Tortola Sails: 115222
Blue Prism Sails: 88863
Clearwater, FL

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 11:12 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Skipshot wrote:
Good one, Gary. You netted three with your crack. That's much better than me, since I didn't get any.

It wasn't April 1st - so I thought I'd respond... I wouldn't have any way of knowing if someone is joking or telling the truth - either way, probably not something we should joke about, as someone could really be injured or killed if they didn't know the rules. (and in this case the laws of physics)

:)

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 2:26 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Jbernier wrote:
It wasn't April 1st - so I thought I'd respond... I wouldn't have any way of knowing if someone is joking or telling the truth - either way, probably not something we should joke about, as someone could really be injured or killed if they didn't know the rules. (and in this case the laws of physics)

:)

Point taken.