It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:36 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 3:17 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hobie announces new kayak: Adventure Island:

http://kfs.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/ ... 4521048242

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 3:43 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Darn! Wish my crystal ball had been better; what's the trade-in program like?

"Posted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 6:53 pm Post subject: New drive, rudder, sails, hull (Revolution) - why buy now?

All the announced and guessed-at changes to the Adventure keep making me crazier about a purchase decision. I want the new enhanced Turbo drive, the new enlarged rudder, the new salis, the outriggers, and a look at the possible new hull (Revolution). This is coming, that might be coming, give me a break.

I love the responsiveness of Hobie but timing a purchase is getting like trying to catch the stock market at a peak or valley. Why should I buy now? When should I buy?

I know it will never end but the Adventure seems early in its design phase and I wonder when / if it will stabilize.

Rant over. Thanks.

Posted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 9:32 am Post subject: Why wait?

Don't wait! The summer is here and any new stuff will not be announced till August and then availability is much later than that. Most new offerings get out to dealers late in the fall to possibly next winter.

Big rudders are accessories and not standard on any boat.

First of the new fins arrived yesterday. Short on the shipping qty so not all back order can be filled. We are expecting more in late May to June.

Bugs in the Adventure? I don't think there are any bugs in the Adventure.

Lastly... the market for these boats is pretty hot. I know the San Diego dealer is happy to take trade-ins of Hobie product.

Buy now... have a great summer and trade up if you feel the need next year!

Posted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 2:39 pm Post subject: Ordered the Adventure - ready next Friday - I am stoked!

Trigger pulled, boat ordered, deposit on the plastic. Adventure Fisherman model in mango (anchor, paddle, rod holder, cooler, cart, ??), pfd, sail kit, daggerboard, enhanced drive, enhanced rudder, and soft cartop carry sytem.

Yakima racks and older Ford Taurus' do not mix. No nav light system available from dealer.

Dealer said talked to Hobie: dealer only getting 1 enhanced drive for now [it's promised to me], daggerboards on back order [I showed the dealer they had 2 on the wall], enhanced rudders on back order [but one is due in tomorrow and promised to me with the boat], and NO NEW SAIL KIT OR OTHER UPGRADES UNTIL 2008.

Thanks to everyone who has posted or replied about the Adventure in helping me get to the decision point.

Post subject: Details:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 4:02 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Details:

" Posted July 06, 2006 08:01 PM

Unfortunately, these will not be items that can be fitted to older Adventures. This will have a bunch of new molded-in hardware to make it work. There are beefy crossbar attachments, ama strut attachment and mast base hardware. You can assume that this also makes the basic Adventure a bit heavier.

The desire was to make it adaptable, but the reality is it required new hardware.

Here is the full release details:

New Product Announcement
It is with great pleasure that we announce the newest addition to our product line-up, a product so unique that it will cross-over (our) Sailboat and Recreational Kayak lines of distribution. At the Outdoor Retailer Show that takes place in mid-August in Salt Lake City, Utah, we will be introducing the Hobie Mirage Adventure Island, a 16' Trimaran "Sail/yak" that incorporates the patented Hobie Mirage Drive into a unique sailing machine unlike any other sailing craft on the water. Here are the features that make the Adventure Island so special:

A boomless, roller-furling sail rig similar to the rig on the Hobie Bravo with plenty of sail area for excellent performance, completely manageable from the cockpit with the pull of a line.
Two retractable amas that fold up against the side of the boat, again with the simple pull of a line, for easy docking, maneuverability, and transport.
The cockpit is the stable platform of the Hobie Mirage Adventure Kayak, offering full versatility as a pedaling kayak when conditions are not convenient for sailing. All 2007 model year Adventure Kayaks, including the Fish model, will have inserts molded into the hulls so that they may be upgraded to an Adventure Island with a kit available through (our) Parts Department. The ama colors will be limited, and the Adventure Island will cost more when purchased via an upgrade kit rather than purchased initially as a complete boat package.
The Hobie Mirage Drive allows the boat to be pedaled while under sail, or simply pedaled with the sail furled for versatility not found in any other sailboat.
The Adventure Island is loaded with additional standard features such as a daggerboard; oversized "Twist and Stow" rudder; Turbo Fins; Mast and Sail Cover; and an Aka/Daggerboard Bag.
The Adventure Island will be offered in two color packages: Golden Papaya and Red Hibiscus. Both options include beautifully color-coordinated sails.
Now that we've got your attention, the best news is that the Hobie Mirage Adventure Island will be released at an Introductory Retail price of $2,995!
Our expected availability date is September 1st.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Matt Miller, July 06, 2006 08:17 PM

Matt Miller
Hobie Cat USA
[email protected]
Hobie Forums www.hobiecat.com/community"

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 4:20 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Stock Hobie Adventure for sale. Unmodified since took delivery in early May 2006. Only a few times on water. Comes with sail kit, Turbo fins and enhanced rudder; dealer just said new hatch and cart upgrade kits, upgrade hardware, and spare parts I paid for are in.

Must sell on account of new model being what I really wanted. Dealer inquiries welcome.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 11:06 am 
Site Admin

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject: Decision?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 11:08 am 
Site Admin

Decision?

If you play the waiting game... you will not be kayaking this summer. This new boat will not be available to dealers till September. Filling "the pipeline" (getting boats to all dealers) will take until next winter.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 12:11 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

xxx

Last edited by The Dog on Wed Jun 27, 2007 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 6:47 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

That dude is a beauty! I said on KFS I'd never want one, but they are so sleek and lovely how could you not! FAST?

Ray

Phone: 254-772-3520

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 8:38 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

dwest wrote:
Stock Hobie Adventure for sale. Unmodified since took delivery in early May 2006. Only a few times on water. Comes with sail kit, Turbo fins and enhanced rudder; dealer just said new hatch and cart upgrade kits, upgrade hardware, and spare parts I paid for are in.

Must sell on account of new model being what I really wanted. Dealer inquiries welcome.

If you are serious, please contact me
Thanks
Jonathan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 4:58 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I've used the prototype.......it's a blast!.....something everyone who loves the water should own!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 9:28 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Couple of questions:

Can the mast be set up while on the water, or does it need to remain up (with the sail furled)? If it can be taken down, what's provided to store it?

Is the Mirage drive the standard one or the Turbo? It would seem that with the yak at above 100lbs you would want the turbo drive.

Where can we get more detailed specs? The web site only provides a one pager and a couple photos.

This looks like a hot toy!

Post subject: Too new!
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 9:33 am 
Site Admin

Too new!

Details are being developed for the website still.

The boat is stable enough to step the mast (up or down) while on the water. There is no set deck storage, but you could easily lash it to the ama arms. I could see people pedaling out of narrow launch areas, under bridges and then stepping the mast.

The ST Turbo is shown as standard equipment. Not due to weight of the boat, but the speed. The standard fins would be ineffective as the boat accelerates. Matter of fact... the ST Turbos become ineffective due to speed under sail too. They help you get moving, then the sail power takes over. The fins go into neutral.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 8:41 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I noticed that in most pictures both amas appear to be in the water at the same time. Is there a way to raise them to reduce drag? Only one ama is needed a any given time, and it would be nice to reduce drag especially when pedalling.