Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:06 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: My Craigslist Rant
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 8:12 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

So, I have been looking at different H16's on Craigslist, find one, and there is only one picture or maybe none, you request more pics "Sure thing" and then you hear the crickets................ Why do people post stuff for sale then make no effort to try and sale their junk............. I am not about to drive 4-6 hours just to go "Look" at something.

Post subject: Re: My Craigslist Rant
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 9:24 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Having just gone through the same you probably saw my assessment of the three types of craigslist sellers here viewtopic.php?f=14&t=42499

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 11:05 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I once had to drive an hour to go look at an 18. There was no photo on CL, and the seller had described it to be a like new 87. I got there and saw the oldest 14 I ever saw. The guy said, if I got all the leaves and webs off it would look like new. He wanted 1500. I told him off for mislabeling, then told him he would never sell it at that price. He said his son had measured it at 18 feet. I left pissed.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 11:23 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

jmecky wrote:
He said his son had measured it at 18 feet. I left pissed.

Probably included the trailer tongue or the rudders in the up position

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 12:39 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

56kz2slow wrote:
jmecky wrote:
He said his son had measured it at 18 feet. I left pissed.

Probably included the trailer tongue or the rudders in the up position
plus the mast sticking out past the rudders.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 9:13 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I called a lady about a boat and she said she can't find the pink slip.She knows it's around here somewhere and do I want to be on the list of people she is going to call back when she finds it I said no thanks to being no. 4 on the call back list.

I was trying to sell a pickup and some one tried to swindle me.I still have a phony cashiers check for over the amount I think they wanted the change.Then the check comes back and the bank comes to you for there money back.

One thing I have figured out to is if your going to negotiate the price do it before the drive.I say if this is what you say it is I'll give you so much.If I take most of a day to find his house i'll pay that other $200 dollars when we talk price I'm at a big disadvantage because now you have time and money in the deal.The other thing never admit you have any cash always going to get the cash. A stranger with a couple thousand dollars at there home gives some people bad ideas.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 2:02 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Well, I must admit to falling into one of the "his wife wants it gone" categories. I put my spare boat up for sale last month, not really wanting to sell it, and without the title. I couldn't located a hull number so I couldn't apply for the title.

Long story short, I had a ton of calls, but pulled the add because of the title.

Now, I've applied for the title and relisted the boat (sanded the back of the hull a little to find the hull id). Now, no interest except from SCAMMERS!

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 2:36 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

smallfri wrote:
Well, I must admit to falling into one of the "his wife wants it gone" categories. I put my spare boat up for sale last month, not really wanting to sell it, and without the title. I couldn't located a hull number so I couldn't apply for the title.

Long story short, I had a ton of calls, but pulled the add because of the title.

Now, I've applied for the title and relisted the boat (sanded the back of the hull a little to find the hull id). Now, no interest except from SCAMMERS!

where you located?

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 6:16 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

sxrracer wrote:
where you located?

I'm in Myrtle Beach SC.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 6:51 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Ok think I remember seeing yours.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 2:04 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Here's a silver lining in all the dark clouds.

I bought an H18 and the owner told me that he would only sell the 18 if I took the old, crappie H16 with to get it out of the yard. Very, very bad shape with no trailer. I paid for the 18 and returned for the 16 thinking that I could part it out and learn a bit about fiberglass restoration. When I got it home my son instantly took a liking to the old thing, so I made a list of parts that I needed.

I started watching CL for parts and mostly for a trailer. Unfortunately I didn't see the parts I wanted and the boats were starting at about $600. There was a boat on there for $800 that had the same color hulls, tramp and sails that I kept watching for a couple of weeks.

I decided to make a list and have my wife do the shopping. A few days later she told be that she found all the parts that I needed and to get in the truck and we'll go pick them up. We drove to a residential neighbohood and there was the same boat that I had been looking at for $800 plus a Prindle Cat. My wife told me to hook it up and that she paid $100 for the boat and trailer.

Apparently this kid lived at home and tried to sell his 16. He got impatient and purchased a Pringle Cat that he had his eye on. When his parents got home he had taken up most of their driveway and told him that he had to have the 16 gone by the end of the weekend or move out and take his 2 boats with him...LOL. CL worked out just fine that time!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:08 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Rant continues, found a decent mid 80's H16. email for more pics and info, send another email, then another............... zero response......

Freaking ridiculous.

Either you want to sell the boat or not..........

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:16 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

So Wed afternoon a co-worker calls and says he saw a Hobie on the side of the road by the lake. I go out there and look at it. 81 model. Mesh tramp that is "2 years old" (More like 8). Broken Rudder. Old Ropes. Mast and Sails are at the owners house. Got his number. I called, asked if he could take a picture of the sales and send to me. He starts in "If your not gonna buy I do not want to go to that kind of trouble, I can meet you at the boat", "Sir, I already looked at the boat, would like to know about the sails". I told him I have been looking for two months, I would not be calling him if not interested. He then said He has owned it for 4 years, past two he kept tied up to the dock (In the water) Hulls were not blistered, needs a bottom job. I ask him if he will be home today after work, states he retired. I ask if I could come by at lunch and look at mast and sails "Well, there is another guy looking at it and most likely it will be gone by then"............ Needless to say I did not waste my time. Only asking $500.00 but I am betting the sails are in bad shape, the tramp is toast, rudders toast, the tiller cross bar connectors are really sloppy. The bolts holding the tramp frame have been replaced and there is up and down movement on one corner.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:36 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

sxrracer's sad saga continues :-S
Hang in there!
what area did you say you are located?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:10 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

When I was shopping for my Hobie, I've found a 2005 H16 in a reasonable shape. The lady wanted $14000 for the boat! :lol: