Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:28 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 1:47 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Getting ready to head out in the surf for the first time on my new Pro Angler. Spent last year on a Ride 135 fishing the gulf and loved it. Reading through the manual, I noticed that is says, "while surf launching Hobie recommends removing both center and large from hatch bucket to improve the seal of the hatches".

I wondered how many actually do this?

Also wondered if adding additional seal to the top of the hatch buckets would accomplish the same effect as removing them?

I like the hatch buckets very much and will probably leave them on the boat. Everything I read or see online (youtube) shows the PA typically taking water in the front hatch bucket with a small bit coming into the hull. The Ride 135 that I took out last year was notorious for it's leaking front hatch. Most times I'd come back with a gallon or more of water in the hull. Wasn't a big deal, other than it paddled like a pig when it got water in it.

I've also been toying with the notion of wiring a bilge pump up inside the hull (draining to the back deck and out the scuppers so the hole is above the waterline). Anyone else done this? As it is, I usually role with a large sponge to bilge out any water that ends up in the hull.

Don't get me wrong, not that worried about it. Just like being prepared for all contingencies. Better to work it out in the comfort of home, than trying to invent it on the open water.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 8:22 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Turtle2,
I don't have any experience with surf launching but did upgrade the hatch seals (of my 2010 PA) to that which, I believe, Hobie upgraded to in the 2011or 2012 models. I didn't think of adding seals to the buckets themselves which sounds like a positive addition and if you do decide to go through with the mod, please let us know how it works for you.

Also, I did install a bilge pump in case I took on water while soloing off shore on Lake Superior. I never had to use it but it sure was a comfort knowing it was there to do the work while I beat it for land in the event that I did take on water. I would provide the link for you if I knew how but a search should connect you with all that was discussed between Halibut Hunter and myself. He was the reason for my doing so and was a HUGE help as well. The upgraded seals held up beautifully against many a wave over both the bow and stern and, at most, there was only a cup or two of water in the hull. It likely entered where the bungee cords which hold down the front hatch cover are fastened or where the rod storage tubes are attached on either side of the mast receptacle (or perhaps a little of both). Also, I never removed the center hatch bucket but did leave the front hatch liner behind to increase storage space, mainly for a spare Mirage drive unit.

Congratulations, good luck, be safe and have a blast out there... you're gonna love it!

GR8 Laker