Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:52 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 8:51 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I just want to use it for speed and max speed while tacking.
Thanks!

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 8:58 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I use my Etrex Vista HC. I have not figured out a way to keep it handy yet, so keep it in my drybay for just recording purposes. It has everything that I need, including VMG to do some serious work, but I just use it for how far? how fast? and track.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 6:46 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

try the vhf radio Gps combo The best of both worlds

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 4:31 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

i just use the GPS speed app on my android. I got one of the dry bags for my phone from West Marine and clip it to my vest.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 4:43 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I also have the NCEarth app with is full noaa chart plotter with trip memory, speed and heading. I think i paid something like $20 for it but well worth it. My big GPS took a dump on the power boat and i don't run offshore much anymore so i really don't use it for navigation. On the rare occasion i do run off it works fine for putting me on top of the wrecks for fishing and back into the inlet. Only problem is the screen is only as big as your phone.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 4:53 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Before my iphone, I was using an old Garmin eTrex Legend. Now I use my iPhone in a waterproof case with an app called Runtastic. It's a tracking tool for various sports. Initiallly for running as the name implies, but you can track varioius activities: road bike, mountain bike, hicking, skying, snowshoeing, sailing, etc.

Can even upload the tracks to a website. Here's a sample: http://www.runtastic.com/en/users/Marc- ... ns/5118925

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 4:15 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

My wife and I both run and occasionally use our Garmin Forerunner 101. It's water resistant, but not water proof. On 4-7-12 we went sailing with it and had a max speed of 17.1 MPH; sailed 32.51 miles in 4hrs., 17 min., 05.07 min.
It's a fun toy and is fairly inexpensive. I'll probably try it out on our kayak next winter during the whale migration. It also shows you where you started from and the rute you traveled. Very useful for those days when the fog rolls in unexpectedly. It can be purchased at most running and outdoor recreation stores like R.E.I.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 6:26 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Marc -

Cool tip on Runtastic. I'll take a look at it. Gotta love your calories burned. Now about the elelvation gain and loss on the lake...

Seriously, it looks like a cool app - even if it wasn't made for sailing initially.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 6:29 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I think the elevation is due to lack of good maps form that area and or bad gps signal and it thinks I am on land.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 11:58 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Although I haven't yet had the opportunity to use it, quite a few local sailors have recommended the MotionX iphone app. I hope to get out this weekend and will let you know how it works.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 12:46 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have Motion X Drive (for the car) and like it. They have another Motion X app for tracking purposes, but I forget the name.

But for tracking while sailing, I prefer Runtastic, probably because I also use it for biking and walking too.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 10:26 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

when we train in the winter time,all alone,we use the iPhone with a Magallan hard case
running an very nice app called Iregattta.
The hard case is water proof , it has a better gps signal and is a battery power pack.
it is possible to mount it ,but hard to read the display .so i keep it in my west.

kind regards Flemse

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:10 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I love MotionX for the iphone! I can turn on sharing and it will automatically send an email to up to 10 addresses at regular intervals (5 mins, 30 mins, 1 hr, etc) showing my exact location and a link to the spot on google maps. It's better than any handheld GPS ive ever had and was like $2. You can also record a track in real time with others who use the same app. So for example if Im bowhunting in the woods with a friend and we split up, I can check my phone and it will show me exactly where he is and viceversa. I would imagine sailing with others this would be an awesome feature. Just the other day I was out on the Hobie and my brother texted me asking where I was fishing. I opened up the app, clicked share, took a photo and it sent him an email with my location on a satellite map and photo of what i was seeing. pretty crazy how far technology is coming.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:03 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I've got a cheap app (maybe free?) call boat speed on my iphone. Works off the GPS, of course, and has a simple digital readout. No more, no less.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:35 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I use Runkeeper on my iphone in a waterproof bag. Made for running, but it has great maps and speed and a website for tracking. I like to use the maps to check my tacking and jibbing points. Its free.

frank pichel, H16 Veribold, #71146