Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 02, 2024 12:33 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rod lengths
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 11:38 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi all, first post.
I'll be the owner of a new-to-me Outback in a few days. I'll be looking to use is mostly for fishing, Ive never fished from a kayak. I see from videos , guys use coventional and spinning reels. I have both as I surfcast. My question is , can a 8' or 9 ' spin/rod be used or would I be better off going shorter? I guess I'll find out when I fish the first time but I wouldnt mind knowing.
Great forum BTW.
Steve

Post subject: Re: Rod lengths
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 1:07 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

nycsteve,

As far as I know, there are two reasons to consider rod length when kayak fishing. The first is the ability to reach around the bow when fighting a fish. I understand the Outback is about 12', so you should have no problem with a 8' or 9' rod. I have a Hobie Quest (13 feet long), and with a 6' 6" rod can reach around the bow fairly easily.

The second issue is ability to store the rod in the hull. When launching through the surf, you'll either secure your rods laying down on the top of the yak, or put them inside the hull. I can't speak for the Outback, but I have a bit of trouble getting my 7' 6" rod into my Hobie Quest (although someone on a different forum said they have no issue so maybe I just need to try harder). Of course, if you're not planning on fishing the ocean, then this is not an issue for you.

Enjoy your new ride!

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 4:16 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I use everything from a 9 foot fly rod to 5'6" rod for bait fishing. As looshmoot says having a bit of length to get around the nose of the yak when playing a fish is handy.
If using longer rods, e.g. fly rod, clearing line from the tip can be a bit of a challenge. With my fly rod I achieve this by resting the reel against the grip on the nose of the Outback and leaning right back. The OB is so stable you can do this without worrying about tipping.
If I a rigging my fly rod I separate it into 2 equal sections, rig both sections, then join the rod.
I carry the longer rods in the spare paddle holder.
The other thing to watch out for with longer rods is "high sticking". That is putting too much pressure on the top of the rod when it is vertical. This is typically done when either drawing a larger fish close to the yak for netting or pulling line off the reel. The result is too much pressure placed on the rod tip resulting in a broken tip. If using a longer rod a long handled net or gaff makes handling fish yak side a lot easier with longer rods.

Hope this helps - enjoy your Outback - they are great.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 11:27 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I guess it depends on what kind of fishing you do.
I mostly fish inshore on the flats so a ridiculous casting distance isn't that important to me.
What's more important is how easy the rod is to handle and length is an issue here.

I started out with a 7'-6" rod but that was a bit too long and kind of awkward to manuever in a Kayak. In retrospect it could've been because the grip was pretty long as it was meant for two handed casting.

I bought a second rod that measured in at 7' and it's perfect. It also has a much shorter grip that's intended for one hand casting.
It's a St. Croix Avid Saltwater if you're interested.

I mostly use the 7'-6" rod as a backup and it has a top water on it. The 7' rod is what I do the majority of my fishing with.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 8:21 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Due to shoulder injuries I had to abandon one handed fly rods and go to the two handed Spey Rods.

It didn't take but one big striper with a 14' Spey Rod to show, the advantage due to the laws of physics and the length of an arm in a fulcrum, a fish has when you are in a boat, even while standing. The fish luckily broke off the 10# test tippet.

After that event I went to the shorter Switch Rods 10'6". That is the maximum length I use in our Jon Boat. My son has a bigger boat, and I can get by with a 11' switch rod.

With my Freedom Hawks, I can stand up and my 10'6" switch rods would be too long for any fish over 5 pounds.

So I will be having a rod/line wizard add a bottom handle to my old 9' and 8'6" fly rods. I need a bottom handle to do the two handed spey casts.

My family for this past Christmas gave me a few spinning rods, and the 7' rod is the max that I want for fishing my tidal river and bay. The 6' and 6'6" rods are all the rod length, I need and want to handle in fresh water.

nycsteve wrote:
Hi all, first post.
I'll be the owner of a new-to-me Outback in a few days. I'll be looking to use is mostly for fishing, Ive never fished from a kayak. I see from videos , guys use coventional and spinning reels. I have both as I surfcast. My question is , can a 8' or 9 ' spin/rod be used or would I be better off going shorter? I guess I'll find out when I fish the first time but I wouldnt mind knowing.
Great forum BTW.
Steve