Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:36 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 8:06 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Can anyone advise me as to the best way of strapping down my 1980 H16 on the trailer for a 2.5 hr drive?

I know to avoid strapping over the hulls but would appreciate any other insight you wise sailors have to offer a simple deckhand.

Cheers!

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 5:08 am 
Site Rank - Captain

The best setup I've seen is the one Matt Bounds uses and describes in the link below. It works well. I used it as a model during my recent trailer rebuild.

http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=13831&p=76858

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 5:29 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

My trailer has eye bolts just outside of the rollers. I use standard nylon tie down straps wrapped around the pylons and hooked to the eye bolts. Not sure if that would stress the pylons or not. I trailer my boat only twice a year....once to the beach in the Spring and once back home in the Fall.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 9:08 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I've seen many ways of strapping down a Hobie. Most seem to work well. I'm not sure there is any "best" way, but I think you're wise by avoiding strapping over the hulls. I go over the tramp from the trailer - front to back - port side and starboard side.
The only thing I would like to suggest is that on a 2.5 hr. drive I think you should stop after about 20-30 minutes and check things before continuing on your journey. After several stops and starts things sometimes shift and become loose. After some tightening and re-adjusting I think you should check on everything whenever you stop for gas, a bite to eat, or using the restroom on the side of the road.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 11:26 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

never to tight Remove straps when you get home I put straps over the tramp frame
I have never heard of a hobie coming off a trailer if tied down even a little
Well not exactly my first hobie 16 was stored on a trailer on shore the boat was secured with a winch cable Very high winds hit Lake Norman picked my Hobie off the trailer and the boat landed about 30 feet away on top of another boat The cable probably kept it from flying futher ie fly a hobie
Those were the days
Former Hobie Admiral Gary

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 10:54 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi.
I just towed my boat on 150 km's of Mozambique's "finest" dirt roads. I added a little extra felt between the hulls and trailer for protection but otherwise used the standard 4 tie downs, secured around and through the corner castings. I lowered the tire pressures to 2 bar and stopped frequently to check all straps. No problems.
Only thing I overlooked was that the trailer sail box sucked in a lot of dust, next time I will tape it closed.

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 11:33 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for all the replies. The 4 strap method worked perfectly and everything stayed tight.

So thanks to everyone and great stories!

gcoop