Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:56 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 12:41 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi guys,

i have a hobie 15 club. I know there is already lots of advice about launching in the surf but this is a little different.

Where i launch, if the tide is in, the surf tends to crash onto dry or very shallow water. This means that the boat is grounded when the waves hit it. They aren't big waves at all, but without momentum and rudders in water, its impossible i find to control, resulting in the boat being pushed side on pulling everyone under with it and backing onto the rudders (some damage has be done to the rear of the hulls from the rudders going full lock with force).

My confidence has taken a bit of a beating as a result. Is there something i should be doing, or is it simply not possible to launch into surf if you can't get going before it hits? I'm certainly not going out near high tide anymore, thats for sure!

Thanks

Griminat

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 7:21 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Shore break waves do not usually have much power to hurt your boat
Most hobies will float in amazingly shallow surf
Push it out slowly until floating then follow this with a big shove leap on board try to get some sail power going grab the tiller and go.
Remember if the wind is blowing in your face directly off the ocean you need to bear off the face of the wind
In the surf power is everything you only need enough speed to keep going forward thru the big waves that will mess you and your boat up
It is important to get past breaking waves as soon as you can
I wade into the surf before heading out Waves come in regular patterns most of the time Fell the bottom for sand bars or dropoffs
Not every place on the beach has the same wave sets or same wave size
Best advise practice at low tide tide until you get more experience

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 10:02 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Seems like you need wade past the shallow area then do what gary eudy said.

gary eudy wrote:
follow this with a big shove leap on board try to get some sail power going grab the tiller and go.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 7:38 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Not sure if you're boat has a jib or not, but I recently had one of those "Ah Hah" moments when I learned to steer with the sails.
Basically more jib to bear away, more main to head up. That way you can keep your rudders up and out of danger until you get into deeper water.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 7:56 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Do just as Gary E. said, but with two modifications:
[1] Just before you shove off and leap on board, have your crew get on first and sheet in tight on the jib. Then he/she grabs the main and starts sheeting in as you shove off and get on your boat. My crew takes care of the main and jib until we get past the breakers; All I do is drop the rudders [Not locked down] and steer. You can have your jib and main sheeted in a little and cleated until your cerw gets on board and does the rest.
[2] Be very careful of your feet when your boat is in shallow water. Surf comes in, the boat rises. Surf retreats, the boat comes down again. Keep your feet away from the bottom of your boat. Also, be very careful if you're ever in a situation where you or your crew are in the water between the boat and the shore - wether you're going out or coming back in and turning your boat around facing the wind. Mother Nature is much stronger than you are. You could get hurt if you're not careful.
Visualize everything before you try this. Then talk things over with your crew. Then communicate with your crew as you're going out or coming back in.
VISUALIZE, COMMUNICATE, AND BE SAFE!

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 9:20 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

One other tip - In order to get your boat moving under sail, it is critical to have your boat is heeling to leeward. It's natural for people to pile on and sit on the hull or tramp on the opposite side of the boom and sail (the windward side). Problem is your boat won't want to get underway if your weight distribution (skipper and crew) is causing the boat to heel to windward. A very common mistake that can make all the difference between getting underway and going absolutely nowhere.

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 1:24 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the replies guys,

a lot of good advice there. We went out today at low tide in much windier and choppier conditions and it was fine. I also got a good look at the beach. There is a sudden drop near the high tide mark, i reckon this was causing the waves to break onto very shallow water. This was the problem, the waves were breaking on top of us when the boat was grounded, which is scary when you are stationary and have no means to control it. I reckon as long as the tide isn't past that sudden drop then the breakers are in water deep enough to float which means we can punch through under sail power and rudder control.

Good advice about the jib, that really is a life saver for launching!

Thanks

Graham