Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:54 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:58 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Is it OK to sand the gel coat (seam) smooth on the bottom of my Tiger hulls and not lose any hull strength? Also, will this make a difference in my racing performance?

Post subject: Sanding Mold Seam
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 11:17 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Yes, you can sand it and should if you want to go faster (how much some one else should chime in). I've never heard of it weakening the boat, but...

Can anyone explain ... what is the correct way to do it? I asked a gel coat shop to sand it for me this winter (lazy, ey). They said sure. When they finally got on their knees and look at it, they stopped dead, expressed great concern about baring the underlying material, thus requiring the reapplication of gel coat. The project came to a halt.

I know people sand these down (I heard the new boats come sanded from the factory), but how much and what tools and what technique? If one does this, how can he screw up?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 4:24 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

In my opinion fairing the hulls provide more of a psychological advantage more than any thing else. Which I believe is a powerfully thing in racing. If you sand through the gelcoat to the polyester resin and glass it can absorb water and weight will definitely slow you down.
The technique for fairing the hull is called longboarding.I prefer a long, slightly flexible sanding block 18" x3" . I sand in a fore and aft direction while going slightly diagonal in a X pattern...Long strokes are best. and don't stay in one spot

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 8:43 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

KennyB wrote:
Is it OK to sand the gel coat (seam) smooth on the bottom of my Tiger hulls and not lose any hull strength? Also, will this make a difference in my racing performance?

Kenny,

Do you have a really prominent seam on the bottom of the boat? I think the early imports into the US had this. I think it may form part of the flange that joins the two halves of the hull and that removing it may weaken the boat. My 2005 boat does not have this on the bottom (it appears to be internal). My friends Dave & Lori Lieb have a 2000 boat and it has a really prominent seam.

Chris.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 3:46 am 
Site Rank - Captain

flumpmaster wrote:
KennyB wrote:

Kenny,

Do you have a really prominent seam on the bottom of the boat? I think the early imports into the US had this. I think it may form part of the flange that joins the two halves of the hull and that removing it may weaken the boat. My 2005 boat does not have this on the bottom (it appears to be internal). My friends Dave & Lori Lieb have a 2000 boat and it has a really prominent seam.

Chris,

Yes my boat does have the prominent seam. I kind of agree with you about the seam being part of the integrity of the boat, that's why I haven't sanded it yet.]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 5:57 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

KennyB wrote:
flumpmaster wrote:
KennyB wrote:

Kenny,

Chris,

Yes my boat does have the prominent seam. I kind of agree with you about the seam being part of the integrity of the boat, that's why I haven't sanded it yet.]

If the boat is glued together with gelcoat you are in big trouble. My boat has the seam and is *exactly* the same speed as the new boats. (My training partner has the latest model - I am running STX sails on a 3yo platform).

I think that unless your surname is Bundock etc the seam will make no difference to your performance at all.

Tiger Mike

Last edited by Tiger Mike on Sun Jul 09, 2006 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 6:32 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

OK, it seems that I should not sand the bottom, and I agree that unless I'm John Tomko, sanding the seams seem so trivial. I know that good starts, spin sets, and good boat speed make up for all the small things that we beat ourselves up over. Thanks for all the help guys!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:08 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Leave the seam and think of it as an extra bit of keel. I have not touch mine and like the boat speed just fine.

Later,
Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 4:26 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Dan DeLave wrote:
Leave the seam and think of it as an extra bit of keel. I have not touch mine and like the boat speed just fine.

Later,
Dan

Thanks Dan, I've enjoyed reading your blogs from your Hobie Tiger Worlds trip. Congrats on your finish. I sail with Chris Green...looks like ya'll were neck to neck to the finish. I also got a chance to sail against John Tomko at a spring regatta this year...that guy IS GOOD!! I agree with you about leaving our seams on our boats.

Keep one hull up!