Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:41 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 7:27 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Am looking for a little advice here. Recently purchased an older model Outback (2005 model) to turn into a sneak boat for waterfowl hunting. One addition, which is a must for waterfowling from a kayak is the gun mounts which I have already purchased. Have yet to mount them. I was looking into the dodger as well to cover up movement whilst "sneaking".

Does anyone know if these two accessories work in tandem with one another? From pictures I've seen it doesnt look like there is much room to starboard to put the gun mounts with the dodger in place. Would like to have the dodger installed while I mock up the gun mounts to be drilled, but seems like a waste of money if there is no extra deck space.

Also, is there some sort of mounting kit that is purchased separately from the dodger? Thanks

-hobie newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 5:30 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Browning,

I bought the gun mount kit as well. I ended up returning it because there's absolutely nowhere to attached the gun mount with the hardware provided. It wasn't my intention to shoot while drifting because that type of waterfowling isn't legal where I hunt. Sneak boats are generally not underway while hunting. They are either anchored off shore or parked on the bank.

As far as the dodger is concerned, I had to modify mine to get it to stay attached to the boat and it doesn't do so very well. Ended up putting gromments on front end. I've never hunted or did any photography from my outback as I intended. It's for sale. I bought an Advenure Island.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 8:46 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

LarryJ wrote:
Browning,

I bought the gun mount kit as well. I ended up returning it because there's absolutely nowhere to attached the gun mount with the hardware provided. It wasn't my intention to shoot while drifting because that type of waterfowling isn't legal where I hunt. Sneak boats are generally not underway while hunting. They are either anchored off shore or parked on the bank.

As far as the dodger is concerned, I had to modify mine to get it to stay attached to the boat and it doesn't do so very well. Ended up putting gromments on front end. I've never hunted or did any photography from my outback as I intended. It's for sale. I bought an Advenure Island.

I plan on hunting any way possible --anchored, tied up, drifting -- its fair game where I am. As far as the gun mounts I wasn't planning on using the brackets, just drilling an undersized hole so I could thread the mount itself down, possibly lock it in with a wing nut.

What model year is your outback? And is it your outback or the dodger that is for sale? May be interested in being a sucker and taking the dodger off your hands

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 11:31 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I've been planning my upgrades for this coming waterfowl season too. I was thinking about making a removable gun holder that that fits in my scotty flush mounts. I'd like to use a fish finder mount with a plate to mount a pair of universal gun holders. Rough idea in the picture. What do you think?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 11:59 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Looks solid. I like the easily removable aspect. How are you going to make sure its not too easy to remove i.e. the entire mount tumbles off in the water?

Have helped retrieve guns from the bottom of rivers before with a grappling hook. It's not as much fun as it sounds...

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 1:34 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

my scotty rod holders when inserted seem to be secure. i have steel padeyes I connect leashes to. I think I will connect my rod leash to my shotgun to keep it from sinking to the bottom. As for the gun mount itself, if it fell into the water, I could retrieve it with the 250lb pull magnet I carry with me.

I like the looks of the dodger, but have no experience with it. I've seen photos of people using both the dodger and gun mounts together. Last year was my first experience waterfowl hunting on my Oasis. I used my friend as a "human dodger" as he stayed motionless in front and I peddled in the back as we snuck around. It worked and we got pretty close in my bright yellow kayak.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 2:42 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I looked at the Hobie gun mount as well and decided to make my own. The thought behind the Scotty single post with a mount on top can work out pretty good. Hope my setup helps give you some ideas.

OneDudeWolfPack Gun Mounts

I was looking for a better solution of carrying my shotgun with me while duck hunting. While at the local sporting good store (Academy) I came across an ATV mount and was planning to just mount it to my Hobie Outback. After pondering on it for a bit and thinking that I don't need this rack system aggravating me year round while fishing, I saw that it can be machined down and made to adapt to another mount system. My system of choice at the time was the MightyMount, but while working on the project the GearTrac was released. After seeing the video and pictures of the GearTrac, I knew this would be a better solution as I can slide the rack system to adapt to any gun.

How-To
http://www.bckfc.org/showthread.php?8321-Kayak-Gun-Mount-Duck-Hunting

Photo album: https://picasaweb.google.com/107455074516515535950/KayakGunMount?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCICpyryrwc6uEQ&feat=directlink

"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day."
-Author Unknown

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 3:29 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Nice! and you fit the dodger on there.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 7:07 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Looks great WolfPack. Do you ever have a problem with getting your gun (Nova I'm assuming) up to your shoulder quickly with it being under the dodger? I have a life sized picture of trying to shoulder my 28" Maxus just to draw a bead on my feet.

Have an opinion on the dodger one way or the other? Got any pics of her all camo'd up? Can't wait to get this boat in the water this fall.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 4:27 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Get a cheap shotgun and use the scupper hole. Doubles as a stake out. lol

I like that ATV mount, best way I have seen it done.