Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:53 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 1:05 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

The welds on the crossbar gave out today. The bar fell right out of the cart. I'm going to see if I can get it re welded. I'm curious if other folks have built a cart that can handle more abuse than the hobie cart. Let me know what you guys have built or seen.

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 1:36 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Haven't built anything. The only thing that has worked for me and the PA is the wheeleez large set of wheels with the added rail kit. The scupper cart I didn't care for at all.

The strap on wheeleez cart I can center it better, down the length,and it fully supports the kayak.

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 3:43 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

+2 on the large wheeleez cart. Glides through the fine gulf sand like butter! Got mine used without the "rail Kit". I affixed two sections of PVC instead. Works great! I even leave the boat on it in a hot garage with no consequences. Best part is you can balance the load and have virtually zero weight on the end you lift. Absolutely superior way to move the boat. The only thing that could make it better is if were motorized.... with remote proximity sensor. Hah!

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 4:08 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Appreciate the feedback guys. I live in northern Vermont and cart the PA down trails to the water so I'm most interested in a cart that can really take the punishment of going over roots rocks and ditches. The weight balance option really sounds good and may save the cart some punishment. How is it loading the PA on to these carts?

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 6:52 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

SMAN555 wrote:
Appreciate the feedback guys. I live in northern Vermont and cart the PA down trails to the water so I'm most interested in a cart that can really take the punishment of going over roots rocks and ditches. The weight balance option really sounds good and may save the cart some punishment. How is it loading the PA on to these carts?

Loading is interesting to say the least. I'm 6,2 and 230 so lifting one end is not the problem. it's setting the cart up on an angle next to the kayak, so that once you lift the one end and spin in on the other it's lays on the cart. I lift the stern and pivot on the bow in sand, bow storage is loaded. Next time I'll remove the bow storage tub and lift the bow and see how that works out. If you can get it set just forward of the seat it balances well.

I deal with it slowly and methodically. After spending 8 hours on water, 10 more minutes means nothing.

The best price I found for the large wheeleez cart was at tackledirect.com. I paid $190? I believe for it. The add on railbar kit is priced the same all over.

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 11:55 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

For me, I usually put it close to the boat, slightly facing the bow, go back, lift the stern and take a step or two sideways and place it on the cart. The shape of the hull usually makes any minor corrections for cart angle. Of coarse, the PVC that I use as a "rail kit" tends to make the hull "slip" onto the cart, so to speak.

One of the nice things about it is not having to stow and cinch everything. I usually have a fair amount of junk strewn about the boat at the end of the day. I can just lift it onto the cart and roll it to the jeep to load up. Kind of use the boat as a trailer going both ways. Not having to flip it on it's side makes throwing stuff on there much easier. Since I car top it, I always load the boat with gear before and unload it after after each run at the jeep. Much easier with this cart.

Just remember... lift with your legs, NOT your back. I squat, grab it, stand up and then use my arms if any further lifting is required. It's doable, but be careful.

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 11:59 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Oh yeah, make sure you get the "new" style tires. The old ones are made out of PVC rather than Polyurethane. The old style has a tire tread pattern on them. The new ones just have a rough surface. There have been several complaints about the durability of the PVC tires. I've rolled with the old ones for a while with no trouble, but I've seen many others that were not so lucky. The general consensus is, if your buying new, make sure to get the polyurethane.