Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:03 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:15 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I am modifying my trailer for a TI I do not have yet, I know the suggested distance between the AI cradles is 67".

What is the distance for TI ? :?:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:49 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It is the same - 67"

This is true for all of the cradles including Pro Angles as well as the AI and TI, since they are all designed to work on the same trailers.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:24 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thank You very much - do you know how far forward the TI extends in front of the forward cradle? sorry for so many questions, I am presetting the trailer up without the boat. - Jeff

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:01 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The boat pretty much straddles the cradles -

so> TI is 18' long (216" - less 67" = 149") divided x2 = 74.5" hanging beyond the cradles front and rear - approximately

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 3:54 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Jbernier wrote:
The boat pretty much straddles the cradles -

so> TI is 18' long (216" - less 67" = 149") divided x2 = 74.5" hanging beyond the cradles front and rear - approximately

I tried using two cradles for my TI at the recommended spacing of 67" and I found that this places the cradles under the soft underbelly of the TI and in only three months from new, it has started to show a definite indentation where each cradle was located. Sorry Mat Miller (or Jacques who posted this spacing?) not intending to give you a hard time, and I know why this spacing is the same for trailer fitting for AI and PA, but it is not the best spacing for support of the much longer the TI.

I have to also say that the quality and fit of the new plastic TI cradles is in my opinion sub-standard compared to the older fiberglass cradles I have for my AI. They have already started to show cracks on the outer aka support after three to four month use from new.

I have moved the front and rear cradles out so that they are each under a better supported part of the hull. Front cradle under the front mirrage drive hole and rear cradle under the rear seat where ther is the support of the seat drain scupper holes.

I have now purchased a second pair of cradles. One of these wil be mounted under the centre of rear mirrage drive hole for middle support. Mounting a third cradle needs to be done so that it is set down quite a bit from the front and rear because of the curve of the hull down in the middle.

The extra cradle I have made into a dolly cart to wheel the TI down to the beach where there is no access for vehicles and a trailer.

I figure this gives me the best of both worlds: I have a trailer to cart it to the boat ramp or launch from the beach, the trolley/dolly for paths to the beach and I have a side loader roof-rack for when I do a 4x4 trip to a remote rough track location where I can not take a trailer.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 7:28 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I worked with my trailer maker and we added two rollers, adding support about 30 inches in from each end to supplement the cradles

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 8:04 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

tonystott wrote:
I worked with my trailer maker and we added two rollers, adding support about 30 inches in from each end to supplement the cradles

Tony,
Yes I think the rollers are a great idea for extra support.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 7:22 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I agree with everything you've said and done and it sounds like you've figured it out :wink:.

Do a search and you'll find the question of "saddle spacing on trailers" has come up many times. I'm not sure why Hobie still makes the 67" recommendation because (as you and others have discovered) it doesn't work.

For someone new it is very confusing :?:. What I have learned is that the TI must be supported close to it's strongest areas; the mirage drive well where the plastic goes all the way through the boat. For ease of launching and retrieval it really helps to also have one more saddle towards the back end.

This is what I'm talking about on p.2 of my post. Below I have simplified what I originally wrote.
viewtopic.php?f=69&t=35469&start=15

18 ½" Is the distance from the back of my trailer to the center of the 1st. saddle.

50 ½" Is the distance inbetween the 1st. saddle and the 2nd. one (the middle saddle).

55 ½" Is the distance inbetween the 2nd. (the middle saddle) and the 3rd. saddle that is furthest forward on my trailer.

Note: Not all trailers allow for this spacing. These measurements could be adjusted by a few inches and still be OK to use. IMO I think the TI needs to have 3 saddles for adequate support.

2014 Tandem Island

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 12:45 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Here are 2 quotes from this thread.

1 "I have moved the front and rear cradles out so that they are each under a better supported part of the hull. Front cradle under the front mirrage drive hole and rear cradle under the rear seat where ther is the support of the seat drain scupper holes."

2 "For someone new it is very confusing . What I have learned is that the TI must be supported close to it's strongest areas; the mirage drive well where the plastic goes all the way through the boat. For ease of launching and retrieval it really helps to also have one more saddle towards the back end."

I do not own a TI and have only sailed on a TI once.

I have to believe that the strongest point for supporting a TI is the mast step area. If someone from Hobie has told you not to use that area then I stand corrected. That would be where I would start. The next area may be the rear mirage drive but I would want to explore the area at or immediately behind the rear seat and determine if there is a substantial bulkhead from the bottom to the deck and also extending from side to side of the hull. If there is such a bulkhead that would be the second area of support.

You are trying to determine how to support the TI hull. Talking about distances on the trailer is a waste of everyone's time.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 2:55 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I believe the mast step area is too far forward. I believe too much stock is being placed on finding the locally strong parts of the hull rather than ensuring the cradle matches the hull profile (in which case the intrinsic strength of the hull becomes hardly relevant)

My trailer guy loosened the clamps for the cradle crossbar, and then lay on the ground underneath the trailer and shifted the cradles until their profile exactly matched that of the hull. This turned out to be around 67 inches...

He then adjusted a front and rear roller to provide "passive" support (eg no real upwards pressure on the hull, but preventing droop).
Image Before
After

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 11:14 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

sailpowerd wrote:
I have to believe that the strongest point for supporting a TI is the mast step area. If someone from Hobie has told you not to use that area then I stand corrected. That would be where I would start. The next area may be the rear mirage drive but I would want to explore the area at or immediately behind the rear seat and determine if there is a substantial bulkhead from the bottom to the deck and also extending from side to side of the hull. If there is such a bulkhead that would be the second area of support.

You are trying to determine how to support the TI hull. Talking about distances on the trailer is a waste of everyone's time.

Yes I agree with you on the mast base being a strong point. However, as Tony also said, it is a long way forward on the TI (if you see the photos Tonystott has posted above). So without knowing the best spacing, makes it hard to figure out the trailer design before getting the boat on it. Which is why the discussion has been focused on spacing (more for the trailer design).

I like what Tony has done with spacing the cradles to where they fit the hull shape then adding additional rollers as passive supports.

My trailer is a bit different being a flat bed tray.
http://www.forum.yakfishwest.com/viewto ... f=8&t=5987

I also found that it is preferable for my trailer design to have three cradles as I can not easily add a rear roller. But the down side of three cradles is that they do not fit the hull shape all the way along.

So what I am now doing is adding some foam padding and covering the cradles with marine carpet to adjust the cradle shape to the loation I want them to sit. Simple but it is taking a lot of work to get right (when they should just fit right in the first place).