Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:11 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 5:06 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi -

I have sailed a H16 from the 80's before, which is my friends. I am interested in possibily buying a new boat.

I was looking at a new 16 becasue of the ability to race it, but really liked the front tarp and the wings on the getaway.

How many people can fit on it?

Will buying a getaway be like buying a big truck? (great durability and capacity, but doesnt like being pushed hard)

What really differntiantes the Getaqay from the 16 or even a 17 or 18?

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 7:22 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have a Getaway now and owned a 16 and 21 sport cruiser previously.

With only two on a 16 or Getaway, you'll notice a performance decrease with the Getaway. However, with 3-4 people on the boat, the Getaway performs better due to the bouancy of the hulls.

The Getaway is a bit less responsive and less tunable, but it is still fun.

--Doug

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 12:39 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I love my getaway...so stable, fast (yes, fast enough to pitchpole which i did last weekend) so roomy and comfortable...my Getaway is on the beach next to an older 16..that owned sailed my getaway last weekend and is now trying to sell his 16 and buy a getaway.......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 6:50 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

You'll love the Getaway. This is Hobie's most versatile boat. Comfortable yet fast, very forgiving (no more pitch-polling as with the 16, unless you really push against the limits).

The wings are great to get a little dryer or simply rest your back. Kids love the front mesh. And the huge buoyancy means that you can invite the whole family for leisurely sunset cruises. I've had 7 people on board with wine and munchies; my old 16 would have sunk!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:44 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The main difference between the Getaway and the glass boats is what they are designed for. The glass boats are designed to go fast and be raced. There are more sail and rigging features on them.

Even though you can load people up on th 16 and the 18 there is usually a marked performance difference on them when you do. The Getaway is designed to handle more weight and perform consistantly with different weights on board.

The Getaway, I think, is easier to maintain and can take more of a beating before it needs a repair. The glass boats are much cheaper if you buy used and are not looking at racing. They are also lighter (at least the 16 and 17 are) than the Getaway which makes them easier to drag around the beach.

It really depends on what your mission and budget are. If you can, find somewhere to rent at Getaway or someone to take you out on thiers. Then, you will know what you are comparing first hand.

Current Boat
In the market
Previous boats owned
'74 Pearson 30
'84 H16
'82 H18 Magnum
St. Louis, MO