Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:40 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Big Guy AI
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 8:39 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Ok so I have decided to stop searching the forums, and watching every single youtube video and just ask. I am 6' 300 lbs (all muscle) lol. I REALLY want an AI however I am concerned about the performance at my weight. I know I am under the weight limit but I am worried about the nose diving, and the hull filling with water if the water line was too low. I dont mind getting wet here in Cape Coral FL. But I am worried about spending all that money and it not working out. Anybody pushing the weight limits of the ai? Thankyou for any responses. If you say Ill be fine then Im going to go buy one. If not I guess ill settle for the pro angler but that boat seems boring after watching all the vids on the AI.

Post subject: Re: Big Guy AI
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 9:09 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You will sit a little lower, and in a little more water (in the seat) than someone lighter but should sail just about as fast and far as someone lighter. I carry enough extra safety gear to be close to your weight and can still catch most while sailing. Go for it!!!

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 12:43 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

We have some big dudes here that may want to weigh in.

I want you to have fun too, but you're pushing the numbers here. Without increasing the floatation of the AI, that doesn't leave any room for the safety gear, food, fluids, electronics, fishing gear, anchors, tramps, etc that you will normally carry. You need much of this stuff to practice safe boating, right?

So - Have you taken any test rides?

If you fit comfortably in the Hobies, I would seriously consider the TI, or stay close to shore. Water is very heavy. Should you start taking on water from the stern, the boat will swamp rapidly.

That's no fun at all.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 2:40 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hoobashoot,
I am bigger and heavier than you, I bought a Ti (maidened it today actually) because I didn't like taking an AI so close to its design capacity limits (plus I like the capability to take others out with me)

In addition, at 6'3", with a big ar$e, there was insufficient legroom for me to comfortably operate the Miragedrive, so I fitted a skipper seat up 6 inches and back about 3 (4 without the swivel mechanism)
Now, with the Miragedrive setting of 7 (pedals as far forward as possible), my leg moves to almost full stretch which is very comfortable pedalling.

So I would definitely recommend you extend your budget to buy a Ti instead. You won't regret it!

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 3:39 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the reply's guys the TI is probably going to be the one for me. I just wish they made a bigger version of the solo AI. It would be at least 500 dollars cheaper -the extra mirage drive.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 3:49 am 
Site Rank - Captain

A benefit of the TI is to always take along that extra mirage drive ready to go in the event of a drive failure. You never know when you might have a "screw loose"

"When the going gets tough, the tough drink tea." Jon Turk

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 5:35 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You could of course buy a Ti and sell off the second Miragedrive, but Honusail is right, keeping is as a backup makes a lot of sense, and that second seat might be just what the supermodel is looking for (old in-joke)

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 5:49 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

We regularly push the weight limit of AIs on camping trips. The boats have no trouble handling that weight. In fact, I accidentally filled my hull, which was packed with camp gear, with water and was still able to sail & pedal a mile to shore. See my report at http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=70&t=7276&start=180 Scroll down to Chokoloskee to Flamingo, Jan 16-23, 2012 An Inauspicious Beginning: One Sunken AI, One Empty Bottle of Scotch

The AI/TIs are going to dive below waves whenever you are on a downwind tack in strong winds. That is due to their design. A boat loaded to near its weight limit may aggravate the diving.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 6:12 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I guess I have to chime in here. Get a TI you will love it. I am the biggest guy here, maybe not the heaviest. 6'11" 300# . WIth the TI you have enough capacity to bring the camping gear and the boat is fairly balanced. Or you can bring someone along and have capacity for safety gear and a day of fun. Going with Keith into the everglades I calculate a total me and gear weight around 350 to 400# depending on how much fresh H2O is on board. I have loaded up once on a calm day with 3 passengers weighing in at 580# and me . Slow but doable for a short trip. The key is to remember the boat will only go as fast as the drags and forces of water will allow, if you have more sail out than what is needed it just wears things out faster and makes it harder to sail.