Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:13 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Transom Failure
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:19 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I was four miles out in the gulf when all of a sudden the helm got sloppy and the command was not 100%. I take a look back and the starboard rudder has seperated from the hull. The first seven pics show the damage. I imagine that the hull is trashed. I looked through the parts list and found a part number but there was no price, does anyone know what a new hull is going to run me or if I have any other options for repair.

Thankfully, even though the hull took on a bit of water I was able to get her out of irons with one rudder and head to shore on a nice reach. I was amazed at well she handled with a hull full of water.

http://s215.photobucket.com/albums/cc181/aharr100/Getaway/

Post subject: Re: Transom Failure
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:54 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Firstly let me be the first one to say OUCH!Secondly,forget repairing the hull you will have to get a new one or try hunting around for a good second hand one.Not sure what a new one will cost but over here in aus its about $2500-$3000 for a new one.I had a similar problem with my new 2003 getaway not long after i purchased it.Both hulls within 12 months of each other cracked through the bottom pintle which could have resulted in what happened to you,thankfully they were replaced under warranty and the new hulls have not missed a beat.
I did hear that hobie had a problem with its mould oven in that some hulls did not cure properly thus resulting in hull failures such as i and others had.your boat may have been made in that oven and not cured properly thus resulting in the falure of your transom.Hobie have since replaced that oven with a new one giving a proper cure to the hulls.I have had my new ones from this oven and have not had a problem since.Hope this helps.
Tasmanias only getaway sailor.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:20 am 
Site Admin

The Getaway hull is not repairable as mentioned above.

The list price is $1,350.00

We would consider a pro-rated cost of replacement under warranty depending on the age of the hull.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:05 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Based on the discoloration of the plastic around the fittings it looks like its been hairline cracked for a while, maybe if you could have caught it earlier you could have made an inside doubler or something.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:20 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Well, I took the boat back to KO Sailing in Laporte,Texas today. Jay Bush and John Kolius were very helpful in documenting the transom damage.

Jay took pics and sent them to the factory and before the end of the day I had a very generous replacement offer from the factory. The new hull is on order and should be here in a few weeks. Both the guys at KO and the factory said that they have never seen the plastic fail the way mine did.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:11 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Well, a new hull is on order from the factory. I took the boat to KO Sailing in Laporte, Tx. yesterday and Jay Bush and John Kolius were very helpful with documenting the damage and getting in touch with the factory.

The factory says that they have never seen a failure like mine before and part of my hull is headed back for analysis. The factory offered a very generous offer for a replacement hull before the end of the day and it should be here in a few weeks.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:37 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

One thing i forgot to mention.Your boat has the old design decals,when you get the new hull it will have the new design so you will probably have to get a new set to match the new hull.
Good to hear the factory are concerned with your hull failure and are looking after you with a good deal on a new hull.
Tasmanias only getaway sailor.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:50 am 
Authorized Hobie Dealer

Location: 315 N. Hwy 79 Panama City Beach, FL 32413 850-235-2281
OUCH! Glad the new hull is on the way. Make sure the rudder pentals are for the old style rudders when you pick it up. I'm sure the KO guys would catch it but just wanted to make sure before you got home and tried to go sailing!

http://www.sunjammers.com
www.facebook.com/sunjammers

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:19 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Our Transoms have a small crack in them starting from the rudder connections...we were told not to worry about it...hopefully this won't happen to ours for a long long time!

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 10:50 am 
Site Rank - Captain

i have a Getaway CCMN1291D303 that we took out last sat (5/19/2012). Had 4 people on board and was was going on a great reach about a 1 mile offshore when the tiller started to go crazy. I turned around and my starboard rudder was gone. We slowed down and noticed that it took a chunk of transom with it. We adjusted weight and headed for shore. As we neared shore the port rudder started to rip out so we slowed down but ended up rolling on our side as the starboard hull filled with water. Got the sail down and since we had a onshore wind made it to shore and got through the surf ok but lost our hot stick and tiller cross bar in the chaos. I remember some older boats had some cracking on the crossbars but never knew that a failure like this could happen. Im very glad my son wasn't on board or a storm on the horizon. I had a couple fiber 16s before this one and know very well about being careful not to back down on the rudders or locking them in going through the surf. (because did this on my first 16) She has been a great boat and this makes me sick to my stomach. Don't remember hitting anything, arrowhead jellyfish sometimes kick up my rudders if they are thick.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 11:13 am 
Site Rank - Captain

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 12:41 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

YIKES...that's nasty!!! Glad its not common...

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 6:55 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

My boat is a 2006, am I right in assuming that this was after the problems they had with under cooking the hulls? I removed my rudders and there mouting hardware to see if I could see anything unusuall, is there anyway to inspect the area to prevent such a failure?

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 6:31 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Mine is a 2003. I always thought the problems were around the front crossmember showing cracks but never thought the rudder area would pull out completely like it did.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 2:27 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hello! I'd like someone from Hobie to coment if at all possible. I'd hate to be far from shore and have half the transom seperate from the rest of the boat. :( :o :o