Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:46 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 11:13 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Second sail went a lot better. But still some challenges. It's a bit lengthy but I do appreciate all of your help!

Winds had pipped up to about 20 kts, gusting higher at my lake, great for sailing, challenging for rigging/launching from a boat ramp.

So, first question. 5 boat ramps one beside the other, wind was a quartering headwind, meaning 45 degrees to the port when looking straight out. I tried raising the mainsail headed into the wind on the trailer but the moment I started to drive the car, the boat wanted to sail. Off my trailer. Lowered the sail and launched, tied the painter/bow line onto the dock, allowed the boat to weather vane into the wind and just did everything while bobbing up and down. Not so easy. Any suggestions for that situation? Water was about chest deep so the halyard work was a bit tough.

Second issue was with my mainsheet 6:1 system. I had reeved it correctly, or so I thought. Sheeting in was easy, sheeting out was impossible. On a broad reach I had to physically push the boom out. I am not sure why it wouldn't take the extra line. Few thoughts- I left the mast step link connected (oops) so maybe the mast wasn't rotating correctly. My mainsheet line is a bit thick and 'fuzzy' (old), perhaps it's creating too much friction? I could switch to a smaller diameter. Or, I screwed up the reeving, but god I hope not because it took me 1.5 hrs and 5 tries. Thoughts?

Third, and the worst of all. Finally got the boat launched. Literally. It took off once we took the bow line off. On a nice beam reach, sheeted in, cruising at a very, very nice clip and finally getting to enjoy all my hard work getting her ready over the last few months. All of a sudden, I hear a ripping noise. Sure enough, one of the reefing grommets had failed and torn a 10" horizontal hole in my sail. Being 2 miles out, I immediately tacked, sheeted out fully and limped back to the dock on a beam reach.
So, the big question, how to repair the sail? I read a bit on the forums and it seems there are a few ways. The guy I had with me gave me some of his "sail tape." So it seems I can use that on both sides, larger than the tear and sew it on? I like that idea. Or, would it be better to use some 3M adhesive and a sail patch? I plan on using the boat for this summer and selling it (Long story, nothing to do with the boat). After the patch job, does that mean I can never reef again because of the week point by the reefing grommet?
Suggestions?

Also, as far as the reef goes. Had never got one in on a hobie before. I attached the gooseneck's clevis pin to the reefing point, rather than the tack of the mains'l. Next, I used some line and tied down the grommets to the sail bundle and boom, looping once through the grommet and tying it off. Good so far? That was my rookie attempt at a reef. How'd I do?

Lastly, as we were cruising in on a broad reach, heading towards the upwind side of the dock at a 45 degree angle, I realized we could not slow any further. I zig zagged with the rudders to dissipate energy but that didn't really help. We ended up running aground on the concrete boat ramp at a few knots, maybe a brisk walking pace. Not horrible but also not great for the hulls.
I realized I have always sailed boats where we took down the main, started the motor and docked that way.
So, would anyone care to share some wisdom with me on how to dock a hobie in windy conditions? Upwind/downwind side of dock, how to slow down, etc.

Thank you all for reading my short novel, but all of your suggestions have helped me get this far! So again, thank you for the help.
-LP

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 11:22 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If it ripped at the reefing gromet, unless it professionally fixed by a loft, you won't be able to use it with just tape and glue.

Even if fixed, if the sail fabric is old, you probably still should not reef.

For the exception of the tack and clew, were the other reef points tied loose or tight?

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 11:23 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

As far as rigging on a trailer, with the exception of stepping the mast, I would not do it.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 11:27 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Reef tie downs in the middle of the sail were firm but not rock hard, but the line I had tied them down with had a fair bit of tension on it.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 11:29 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have seen some recommending bungies for the middle reefs. So it's possible that it was too tight.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 2:53 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Which reef point was it that ripped?

Never reefed on a Hobie, but on every other boat I've sailed, the all the reef points points other than the forward and aft ones (the reefed tack and clew) should take no load. they're just there to keep the excess sail material organized, and aren't reinforced to take a load. Bungees work well for this application, along with not wrapping around the boom (just the excess cloth).

1990 Hobie 18SX #2077

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 3:49 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

It was the most rear reef grommet that ripped, the one right before the clew. So, the second to last. I didn't do anything different to the clew. The outhaul was attached to the normal clew tie off point. Was I supposed to re-tie the outhaul to the last reefing grommet (new clew area)? If so, that was my mistake.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 6:11 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I think your sail is tired. You should be able to grab some sailcloth in both hands and try to push your thumbs through and not succeed. (It's what a sailmaker will do when you bring it in for repair) Only damaged cloth will give way. Hobie sails and most catamaran sails are pretty heavy duty and what you experienced is probably wear, tear and age related. If a sailmaker can find good solid cloth to sew into it can be repaired...at a price.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 7:02 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Yeah, that launching from the ramp/dock is a pain. Ive done it quite a bit. Hate it. These boats are best on the beach. Thats why they call em beachcats. You will always have your hands full launching from the Dock. Wind direction is always a factor...slippery ramp...No brakes on the boat...LOL! And dont forget all those power boaters watching you make mistakes.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 7:05 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Isn't there a small beach or beach-like area you can float the boat over to so that you can rig and launch the boat?

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 8:22 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I too am very green went to the marina the wind was blowing directly to shore.There were two docks and a gas pump inside a log wind break that overlapped with a hole about 15 feet across.I hadn't even sailed one time.Took one look at that and thought not sure whats going to happen but me sailing out that gap is not it.Managed to find a better place to launch and it went good for first time.Around here public beaches don't have the marina just the launch ramp.I also know how it feels to take a long time to get ready making sure you got everything right.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 8:06 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

LonePalm83 wrote:
Lastly, as we were cruising in on a broad reach, heading towards the upwind side of the dock at a 45 degree angle, I realized we could not slow any further. I zig zagged with the rudders to dissipate energy but that didn't really help. We ended up running aground on the concrete boat ramp at a few knots, maybe a brisk walking pace. Not horrible but also not great for the hulls.
I realized I have always sailed boats where we took down the main, started the motor and docked that way.
So, would anyone care to share some wisdom with me on how to dock a hobie in windy conditions? Upwind/downwind side of dock, how to slow down, etc.
-LP
Lone Palm,
Thanks for asking questions. Regarding which side of the dock, upwind or downwind, you want to come in to the downwind side. Slowing down involves completely releasing the main sheet and traveller, the jib as well. If you're still carrying too much speed, get as close as you dare to the dock and turn the boat up head to wind. Try to place the boat head to wind (stopped, at the end of your turn) above the dock to the downwind side. Quickly lock both rudders up and you and the crew move to the front of the boat. The boat will now back straight down wind (boat is head to wind so sails are luffing). You'll probably want to test/practice this maneuver in the middle of the lake a couple of times before attempting to use this method at a dock or ramp. Beware if you overshoot your spot at a dock you can end up on a collision course with the dock and need to take off to come around again, push the tiller and boom in the direction you want to go (again, best to practice this first in the middle of the lake)

Have Fun!