Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:00 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: CAT TRAX leaking air
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 8:57 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

not sure where but if I find a leak what is the best way to fix it?
I am loosing some pressure- have to pump every 1-2 weeks but not completly.
wheels were stored over the winter and it looks like 1/3 of a pressure was lost

please give me some suggestions... those that work

Post subject: Re: CAT TRAX leaking air
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 4:38 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

Depends on which version of the tires you have and where the leak is.

Old version were vulcanized directly to the axle tube - no hub:

Newer ones have hubs:

In either case, pump them up and use soapy water to find the leak. Mark the leak with a silver Sharpie and wash the soap off thoroughly.

On the old version, leaks tend to be in two places - at the axle tube vulcanizing and the inflation valve. For the inflation valve, use an old inflation needle, plug it with glue and insert it into the valve. For the axle, smear some GOOP or other adhesive over the leak (depressurize the tire first). The axle leaks will come back - that's why the change to hubs.

For the hub version, you can insert a tube into the tire that will take care of any leaks. Don't know the exact size, but Google is your friend.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 5:36 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I think this is the tube I used:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/21x11-8-21X12-8-22X10-8-22X11-8-23X10-8-ATV-TUBE-NEW-/150791162347?pt=Motors_ATV_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item231bda89eb

If you have the one piece wheel/tire forget the tube. There is a type of injected tire foam used by industrial forklifts. I found a local tire shop that had it but ended up finding some 8" steel rims instead. The tire foam would probably make your wheels rather heavy.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 5:12 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Does anyone have any post ( I have searched) or insight on how to fix the old style wheels as described above?
I need to get my boat on the beach!!

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 8:33 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

TURTLE wrote:
Does anyone have any post ( I have searched) or insight on how to fix the old style wheels as described above?
I need to get my boat on the beach!!

Is it safe to assume you have gone through the process of locating the leak? Where exactly is it? If you're lucky, it could be a simple shell puncture which could be remedied with a simple bicycle tube patch kit. Beyond that I can't help you. I have the newer-style wheels.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 9:11 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You can buy a set of inner tubes from Catsailor.com. They're a bit pricey at $30 per tube, but that solution beats all others that I've seen. Go to http://store.catsailor.com/pc/viewPrd.a ... tegory=287 and click on the drop-down box at the bottom of the page. Then click on innertubes. I bought some of these for an old set of Trax (my tires had new style hubs) and they hold air. I've been very satisfied. I had a lawnmower repair shop install the tubes.

H16 Seabreeze #112205 (Richard Petty Signature Edition)
H14T Fantasia #47787
San Juan 28

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 4:23 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

MVD wrote:
You can buy a set of inner tubes from Catsailor.com. They're a bit pricey at $30 per tube, but that solution beats all others that I've seen. Go to http://store.catsailor.com/pc/viewPrd.a ... tegory=287 and click on the drop-down box at the bottom of the page. Then click on innertubes. I bought some of these for an old set of Trax (my tires had new style hubs) and they hold air. I've been very satisfied. I had a lawnmower repair shop install the tubes.

But you can't do that with the old tires that don't have hubs.

The only way to fix them is to:
* Locate the leak
* Use an adhesive (Goop or similar) smeared over the leak location
* Repeat often (since the leak will come back, especially if it's on the axle vulcanization)

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 6:07 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Quote:
But you can't do that with the old tires that don't have hubs.

You are correct, my tires are the newer style. Cezar never followed up to tell us what kind of tires he's got.

H16 Seabreeze #112205 (Richard Petty Signature Edition)
H14T Fantasia #47787
San Juan 28

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:50 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

cezar wrote:
not sure where but if I find a leak what is the best way to fix it?
I am loosing some pressure- have to pump every 1-2 weeks but not completly.
wheels were stored over the winter and it looks like 1/3 of a pressure was lost

please give me some suggestions... those that work

Like any trouble shooting routine, you eliminate the problem why knowing what works and zero in on what does not.

I bought a used Trax cart when I bought my 2011 Wave. The dealer (who runs a sailing school and knows this gear inside out) mentioned to me, in case of a flat or escaping air) to replace the tube valves as sand and other 'stuff' can ruin these valves.

Even if that is not your issue, this may be something that you need to keep an iball on.

(Cezar, kindly keep in mind that asking for advice on any Forum is a crap shoot. Nobody will steer you intentionally in the wrong directions as we all have a vested interest in our boats and what we say here. However, feedback from you as a result of our efforts would be appreciated...), how else are we going to help you, or anyone else??)

Regards
Tri

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:20 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have some Roleez wheels on my kayak cart. They use the basketball style of valve.
When they spring leaks, mostly due to prickly pear thorns, I use Fix a Flat. I screw a basket ball needle into the hose on the can and give the tire a shot. The sealant oozes out of the leaks. Make sure the needle is ALL the way in! Spin the tire for a while to spread the sealant evenly. Run the needle in and out of the valve a few times to clear the sealant so the valve doesn't glue shut.Remember to clean the needle. Hope this helps, GH

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:14 am 
Site Rank - Captain

My tires don't hold air for any length of time… like 10 minutes.
What's the best and ultimate solution? Is it to get the tubes as members have suggested here?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:42 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thank you guys.
I am sorry but for some reason I didn’t get a message from the forum that someone responded to my question.
I fixed the problem by removing and cleaning valves from a sand and filling the wheels with Slime Tire Sealant.
The leak was so bad that I could hear it and see without using any soap.
I do not have a compressor so I had to do it at a gas station, regular pump didn’t create enough pressure fast enough to seal the rims of the tire.
My wheels also have some cracked rubber from sitting on the beach for 6 months/year.
It worked great last season and I kind of forgot about the problem.
We will see how it worked out this year but it is still too cold to even think about it. they are talking another nor eastern snow storm this Wednesday… and yes I have the newer style wheels.
Thank you again for your suggestions.

Last edited by cezar on Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:04 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I used soapy water and found 3 holes on one tire and 2 on the other. Perhaps vandalism… perhaps just wear and tear. Any suggestions on how to fix punctures?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:50 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I've used car and truck sized kits plug kits on tires as small as trailer tires but never on a balloon tire so you may want to consider the smaller (but more expensive) kits made for motorcycle tires and such, like this one.
http://www.amazon.com/Stop-Go-Tubeless-Tire-Plug/dp/B0018EUDHW/ref=cm_cr_pr_pb_t

No practical experience on using them with balloon tires but I'm guessing it's worth a try. I have much more faith in plugs over patches. They seem to handle the ever-changing shape of the tire better.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:51 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I solved my punctures with regular car tire plugs. I had maybe 5 or 6 punctures and now my tires hold air just fine. Did a roll down the beach and all was great.