Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:30 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 6:04 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

2 wave hulls and crossbars were donated to our little 501c(3) sailing organization, the Ocean Springs Sailing Squadron, but they have no rudder system at all.

I have several old Hobie 16s lying around in decay... and odd parts from Hobie 14s and 18s.

Anyone have an idea how to retrofit? Has to be low budget, but does not have to be pretty.

The tiller arms on the Wave need to curve up, so using H16 arms means I'd probably have to heat and gently bend them... Not sure that'll work on the hardened alu.

Need thoughts and ideas please... or a rudder setup for wave! Thanks
-Rob -

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 9:02 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Do they have the pintles on the back of the Hulls....If so, then a old H 17 or H18 or H 20 castings will fit......Even if the Pintles are from a newer hull, and longer, the Older Rudder Casting still fit.....Look on Ebay.....You will need the Wave Tillers, I ordered mine new to save the hassle....and you'll need a Wave Cross Bar. If you have access to another wave you can take measurements for Crossbar and maybe get the curve for the Tiller arms coming off the Castings ( I ordered those also new to save the Hassle).....

Just check the Pintles, make sure you have them...they are built into the boat and the nuts are enclose in Plastic from the inside.

Once you get the Castings, you need the drill the Right holes for the Wave...Hobie has a Drill Guide/template that you can print up and it does a good job of getting you Real Close, if not right on the spot....do a Search for the "Hobie rudder drill template"

Rob..a Question for you...Do y'all have any Wave's that do the Slip to Ship or Horn Island race...I used to race those races years ago when I had a Nacra 5.8...but was wondering if My wave would be to slow and the Party would be over by the time I got there :D...How far is it and would the Wave be allowed to compete in Portsmouth?( if there is wind:D)
thanks
Mark Milam
Lafayette, La.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 9:26 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

mtmilam...

yes the pintles are there.

hoping I can retrofit H16 stuff... maybe a little heat and I can put a bend "up" in the rudder arms and just cut a H16 tiller crossbar shorter....

considering I need tramps, sails, mast, etc to get these on the water I have to go low budget where I can...

about Slip to Ship... it's really getting EPIC, like pre-Katrina numbers... we're pushing 40 boats and we're still a few days out.. so excited. BUT, no, the wave is a bit too slow for the 25 or so mile round trip on Saturday. It's for cats 16 feet and up... so far the fleets based upon registration are:
- Hobie 16 with 8 or 9 boats...
- F18 with at least 5
- Open 20, a new class, based upon the Nacra 20 boat w/at least 5 boats
- open A and open B.
- some old dog H18s with Spins coming, including mine...
- a new CARBON Nacra 20... some F16s... and some Prindle 16 and 18s and 19s... etc... F18HT... you name it theyu're coming....

http://www.osyc.com/index.php?module=Co ... iew&pid=22
check the link, and look for Slip to SHip to see who is registered, the NOR, etc... and oh,.. check my rocking Hobie 18 and daughter and I jammin across the finish... shameless. :-)

Cheers and thanks for the info... -Rob.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 11:24 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi Rob,

for some reason, I think the Hobie 16 Casting will NOT work on the wave...I don't know why, someone here probably does.....I found a guy parting out his H 17 and got the Castings and two EPO rudders for 150.00.....I rebuild the casting, new springs and all and even painted them with some outboard motor paint....they look brand new :D

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 4:56 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

mtmilam wrote:
Hi Rob,

for some reason, I think the Hobie 16 Casting will NOT work on the wave...I don't know why, someone here probably does.....I found a guy parting out his H 17 and got the Castings and two EPO rudders for 150.00.....I rebuild the casting, new springs and all and even painted them with some outboard motor paint....they look brand new :D

Just DON"T DO IT!!! Trust me...it won't be worth the effort.

Find the right parts...period.

Rudders are the least of your worries. You need a mast and sail too.

No matter how much work you put into adapting the wrong parts, you will regret it. Look for donations if you have to.

You will create no value if you try to teach new sailors and kids on a POS boat.

Beg at your Hobie dealer...who knows what might turn up here.

Wave #100
H20 #287 "Tallahassee Lassie" (down in FLA)