Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:31 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mixed Fleet Racing
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 9:35 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

So we've joined a new Club, with well establish Weds evening racing. A mixed fleet of I-14's, 505's, Fireballs etc and then the cats: mostly Tornado's, a Nacra 20, the odd H16, and a few H18's. Staggered start for A monohulls and B cats.
Wider gybe mark for the cats, typical Olympic course, diamond & sausage.
(Go to http://www.nsc.ca)

Last night saw our SX18 vs three Tornado's, and afterwards, over beer, the question came up: By how much should the T's beat a H18? We thought the difference was 14%....

Next time, I'll be sly and attach a couple of anchors to each T.....
Can they really point higher than a H18? That's where we lost most time.
We'll see how things work out when the wind is howling....

Post subject: Re: Mixed Fleet Racing
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 9:39 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Here is where you will find the numbers you're looking for:
http://offshore.ussailing.org/Portsmout ... lasses.htm

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:00 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

John Lunn C A wrote:
We'll see how things work out when the wind is howling....

I wouldn't get your hopes up too much there, that is where the extra beam for the T will really kick in.

2010 AHPC C2 #218

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:20 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

This past Weds evening was much better. With much stronger wind, 9 knots with gusts up to 16 knots, and with my 18 year old son as crew, with his help, pointing was better. No question Martin is a better sailor than I. (Qualified to Bronze V.)

I'm getting used to a new part of the river, so my selection of track/course was better.

However, it seems that after 20 years of sailing H18's, I still need lessons in beating or going upwind. Is it better to pinch a bit and aim more directly, or better to bear off a bit and make up VMG on overall speed? I find I cannot get as close to the wind as the T's. Thoughts?

Broad reaching is no problem, nor is downwind.

Wish me luck at tomorrow's Ottawa Skiff & Cat Grand Prix...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:40 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

A modern, well sailed Tornado will annihilate a Hobie 18 upwind. Think Hobie 18 vs. Hobie 20. The 20, if sailed reasonably well, will beat the 18 every time. The boats are simply in different classes. The Tornado should be even faster than a 20.

sm

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:50 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Nepean Sailing Club, so I am told, is the largest sailing club in Canada operating out of one location. Do they put on a good show. Ottawa Skiff & Grand Prix, in it's 9th year.

Two things were impressive, the number of youth sailors, (Local, Kingston, New England, Quebec City, Toronto, NY), plus the willingness of all to 'get out there and get sailing'. We started the day with fog, then rain, then some wind. Committee had to change the course three times during the four races. Good job guys! All volunteers.

I14's, 29'ers, 49'ers, International Canoes, and the Cats - Two T's, an F16 Blade, H16, two H18's, and our H18SX (with new crew). In race #3, I actually beat a T!!!

Getting there.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:33 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

John,
It true the Tornado can beat to weather higher than your 18, but there are ways to maximize your progress against them. You need to choose between pointing and footing, both tactically and strategically, at the proper time.

Many times, cracking off 2°-3° will give you enough increased speed to overcome the extra couple lengths sailed on a leg. In gusty conditions where the wind swings a bit, take the lifts up and drive faster footing through a header of 5°, anything more may require a tack. Good upwind legs usually have a mix of 'scalloping' up with each shift or wind increase.

Maximze your rig for upwind work. Check the specs for that and test them against boat speed.

If you're close to someone upwind, especially on port tack, foot underneath far enough ahead to tack over to starboard on him and force them to tack away.

there are many ways to get ahead, not all involve flat out speed.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:28 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Correction - The proper name for this regatta is the Ottawa Skiff & Cat Grand Prix.

Today, the weather did not cooperate, rain, no wind, then drizzle and a breeze. We headed out, slowly, and after about an hour's delay, we held one race. On the final leg, the wind died, storm clouds appeared, and the PRO called off all further racing.

I learnt or re-remembered a lot, how to 'park' the boat at the start, how (not) to start a race, how to pick marks on shore to give us the 'best' lines/courses, how to take advantage of the 'Starboard' rule, and for whom to buy beverages.

Ended up with a 3rd place, beaten by the T and my buddies, Martin and Rob of KSC on a 18 SE. Thanks for all your encouragement and advice. We'll keep plugging away.