Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:51 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 7:00 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey gang,

I'm trying to decide between the Mirage Outback and the Mirage Outfitter for a fishing yak.

My Fiancee suggested getting a two seater so I she can go fishing with me. I also have an 8 year old who I expect I'll be taking quite often.

However, I do expect I'll be spending a lot of time solo fishing. How does the Outfitter perform solo? My concern is that I don't want a big clunky sluggish kayak when I am going solo.

I currently have a sea eagle explorer (SEE) inflatable and it is unbearable to use solo.

I do like the idea of a solo yak. I'm wondering if my fiancee should each get our own, and I can put my 8 year old on the back when I take him. My other option is to use the SEE when I go with them. However, a good hard bodied yak would be preferable.

Anyways, any advice and/or comments are appreciated. Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 11:22 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi Hacktorious I own an Outback and my wife has a Sport. We have had a tandem, paddle kayak, in the past and find a single kayak each far preferable. It also means I am not having to deal with a kayak meant for 2 when I am fishing on my own. I rate the Outback highly and, depending on your weight, you could probably carry your 8 year old in the back. Until he's old enough for his own yak :D In saying that if you search around there are quite a few threads around on counter weighting Oasis and Outfitters to make them more effciient to use as solo kayaks. Good luck with your choice.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 12:03 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

charlief wrote:
Hi Hacktorious I own an Outback and my wife has a Sport. We have had a tandem, paddle kayak, in the past and find a single kayak each far preferable. It also means I am not having to deal with a kayak meant for 2 when I am fishing on my own. I rate the Outback highly and, depending on your weight, you could probably carry your 8 year old in the back. Until he's old enough for his own yak :D In saying that if you search around there are quite a few threads around on counter weighting Oasis and Outfitters to make them more effciient to use as solo kayaks. Good luck with your choice.

Thanks for your reply. I'm only about a-buck-thirty. My son is pretty small too so I don't see it as being an issue. Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 6:30 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I went from an Outfitter to an Outback because I was tired of getting a wet butt. I rarely carried passengers so the rear was fairly submerged. I'm about 200lbs. If you need a tandem, go with the Oasis and rig it up. The side storage in the Outfitter is not worth getting soaked.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 8:11 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I think the outback may be the best option. One for myself and my fiancee. I can always put on a backseat for my son, and/or get him a youth kayak for about $150.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 9:00 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Tandem yaks require a lot of trust with a couple. We are the only couple we know, who have a tandem, our Oasis. We have many friends with 30 t0 50 years of marriage to the same mate, and those who kayak have two yaks.

Also, what kind of vehicle do you have to transport your yaks or yak, and how big is your storage area. Calculate these spacial issues carefully to insure your yak will fit into your life style.

Having said the above, the Hobie Oasis might be the best for combos. It is the dryest of their yaks and very fast and stable. The newer ones are outfitted for fishing and have dual steering, which I'm not sold on.

With my 135# wife in front with her Mirage in the up position and my 210#'s in back, I have no problem getting our Oasis up to a little over 3 mph and maintaining that speed with the stanard Mirage unit. Even though she is a strong pedaler, she can't reach that speed nor maintain a high speed with her being lighter than me and her in front.

The Oasis and Outfitters are beasts for solo use, unless you are buffed/sturdy and adept. Don't buy the how easy they are for solo use.

On our local waters, guys with Sports and Outbacks seem to have a wet butt if there is any wind, and they are normal weight. The Revo 11 may be a little wetter. We have never had wet butts in our Oasis in some fairly high wind/waves.

hacktorious wrote:
Hey gang,

I'm trying to decide between the Mirage Outback and the Mirage Outfitter for a fishing yak.

My Fiancee suggested getting a two seater so I she can go fishing with me. I also have an 8 year old who I expect I'll be taking quite often.

However, I do expect I'll be spending a lot of time solo fishing. How does the Outfitter perform solo? My concern is that I don't want a big clunky sluggish kayak when I am going solo.

I currently have a sea eagle explorer (SEE) inflatable and it is unbearable to use solo.

I do like the idea of a solo yak. I'm wondering if my fiancee should each get our own, and I can put my 8 year old on the back when I take him. My other option is to use the SEE when I go with them. However, a good hard bodied yak would be preferable.

Anyways, any advice and/or comments are appreciated. Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 12:13 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Quote:
On our local waters, guys with Sports and Outbacks seem to have a wet butt if there is any wind, and they are normal weight.

GS you either have a lot of wind or some very heavy guys in your area :D ! I weigh in around 210lb, (95kg) and the Outback is the driest kayak I have ever owned. I would say unreservedly that it keeps your butt high and dry - no question!

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 8:56 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

hacktorious wrote:
This depends on several factors. It might be a little tight having two fishermen on one tandem, depending on how much gear you bring, whether you cast, drop or troll, etc.

On the other hand, a tandem would be great with your child -- he would have much more room to spread out and room to grow in his own cockpit. It gets a little cramped after awhile in the cargo well.

For solo work, a single would be easier to transport and launch, but has no advantage in the water. Ideally it would be ideal to get one of each if you're considering the option of getting 2 boats -- single for solo, tandem with child and 2 boats with the fiance. Shoot, that way, all three of you could do some family fishing together!
Grampa Spey wrote:
The Oasis and Outfitters are beasts for solo use, unless you are buffed/sturdy and adept. Don't buy the how easy they are for solo use.
Here's my "buffed" friend (the guy on the right) cruising his tandem Oasis solo along with an Adventure

Her he is again cruising at about 5.3 MPH last weekend, with me tagging along (he's "towing" me with his boat wake) also in my tandem Oasis. BTW, I'm running solo as well and must me every bit as "buffed" as my friend (but not as fast)! :mrgreen:

Notice we both take full advantage of the new dual control system to operate from the front seat. BTW, we both have Hobie singles that we use as well, so soloing the tandem is by choice, not necessity.

Here's another "buffed" friend with the older single control hull who has to operate from the back seat (shown without ballast). He runs solo regularly and occasionally tandem with his daughter.

Here's another solo (without ballast) on his Outfitter waiting for his fishing buddy. The Outfitter is a good flat water fishing boat, but slower and noisier (lots of hull slap) than the Oasis. Weighs about the same.

Finally, here's another "buffed" friend who fishes solo and with his lovely custom ballast (shown here) on his Oasis. She reads while he pedals and fishes.

Quote:
...the [2011 and up] Hobie Oasis ... have dual steering, which I'm not sold on.
Having actually tried the dual rudder control system, I didn't waste much time selling my older Oasis to get it. I can say it's fantastic -- adds enormously to an already incredibly versatile kayak: being able to solo from either seat, either can steer while the other takes a break to bring in a fish, take a picture, etc. Both the new Outfitter (2012) and Oasis (2011 and newer) have this feature. 8)

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 1:43 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Roadrunner when you and your friends use your Oasis as solo yaks from the forward seat do you use ballast in the rear seat?

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 8:06 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

Yes. We're both using about 20 lb (coated dumbbells for me) stuffed all the way in the interior stern. 8)

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 1:57 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Posted: Thursday, May 24, 2012 5:00 am | Today's Napa Register:

Napa will be sunny and windy today, the National Weather Service is reporting.

Wind gusts as strong as 28 mph may lash through town, along with steady winds between 18 and 21 mph.

This is the challenge in our area with high waves to go with the winds.

Throw a 200# pounder and his fishing gear into most yaks, he will have a wet butt before the end of his trip on our low wind days of 10-12 mph and only 1-1.5 ' waves.

Our 2009 Oasis is usually dry and my Freedom Hawk Pathfinder may be drier.

Read more: http://napavalleyregister.com/news/loca ... z1vp302Ap3

charlief wrote:
Quote:
On our local waters, guys with Sports and Outbacks seem to have a wet butt if there is any wind, and they are normal weight.

GS you either have a lot of wind or some very heavy guys in your area :D ! I weigh in around 210lb, (95kg) and the Outback is the driest kayak I have ever owned. I would say unreservedly that it keeps your butt high and dry - no question!

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 2:19 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Before I get into my comment above.

First of all I want to thank you for your excellent hands on advise/recommendations re the various Hobie Mirage Units.

You have saved me money, time and aggravation.

However, when it comes to the reality of how hard it is for some of us to load and on load the Hobie's on our trucks, suvs and trailers, you are a often on the cavelier side and separated from the realities many of us face.

I can just see some California lawyer showing pictures of you showing easy it is to pick up an Oasis or what ever and load it on or off a vehicle.

Then, when a patient screws up their back, rotator cuffs, bicep heads and is a candidate for some 6 figure surgery and the pain/recovery aspect showing those picture to 12 unemployed jurors on simioliar disabilities and nailing you and Hobie for what they consider false and dangerous advertising.

It won't be me or my relatives nor friends as we have never had a law suit nor plan to have one. However, we are rapidly becoming a big minority

Yesterday, we were at one of the Orthopedic offices for my right knee. Knee trouble often comes in twos since we were given two at the same time. My left knee was the culprit two years ago.

In the office waiting room, there were apparently case workers Medical/Care and apparently some insurance/hmo companies discussing the injuries that brought the patients in to see the doctors. The case workers were looking for someone or a company to pay for the costs of the injuries.

One asked me if I had a few minutes to discuss my injury and I told him to subpoena God for giving me two knees which wore out over 70's.

Be careful of our litigious world, my friend.

Quote:
Quote:
Roadrunner wrote:
hacktorious wrote:
This depends on several factors. It might be a little tight having two fishermen on one tandem, depending on how much gear you bring, whether you cast, drop or troll, etc.

On the other hand, a tandem would be great with your child -- he would have much more room to spread out and room to grow in his own cockpit. It gets a little cramped after awhile in the cargo well.

For solo work, a single would be easier to transport and launch, but has no advantage in the water. Ideally it would be ideal to get one of each if you're considering the option of getting 2 boats -- single for solo, tandem with child and 2 boats with the fiance. Shoot, that way, all three of you could do some family fishing together!
Grampa Spey wrote:
Here's my "buffed" friend (the guy on the right) cruising his tandem Oasis solo along with an Adventure

Her he is again cruising at about 5.3 MPH last weekend, with me tagging along (he's "towing" me with his boat wake) also in my tandem Oasis. BTW, I'm running solo as well and must me every bit as "buffed" as my friend (but not as fast)! :mrgreen:

Notice we both take full advantage of the new dual control system to operate from the front seat. BTW, we both have Hobie singles that we use as well, so soloing the tandem is by choice, not necessity.

Here's another "buffed" friend with the older single control hull who has to operate from the back seat (shown without ballast). He runs solo regularly and occasionally tandem with his daughter.

Here's another solo (without ballast) on his Outfitter waiting for his fishing buddy. The Outfitter is a good flat water fishing boat, but slower and noisier (lots of hull slap) than the Oasis. Weighs about the same.

Finally, here's another "buffed" friend who fishes solo and with his lovely custom ballast (shown here) on his Oasis. She reads while he pedals and fishes.

Quote:
...the [2011 and up] Hobie Oasis ... have dual steering, which I'm not sold on.
Having actually tried the dual rudder control system, I didn't waste much time selling my older Oasis to get it. I can say it's fantastic -- adds enormously to an already incredibly versatile kayak: being able to solo from either seat, either can steer while the other takes a break to bring in a fish, take a picture, etc. Both the new Outfitter (2012) and Oasis (2011 and newer) have this feature. 8)

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 10:44 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I am surprised no one has recommended two boats yet. You have three people. A solo and a tandem would allow all three to float, and you could pick the right one for fewer than three participants. Of course, cost would be way higher, but it could be a future goal.

As far as an Outback goes, that's a big boat for a 130 lb human. I know the older models wouldn't have worked well for you, but I don't know if you are heavy enough to settle a newer Outback hull fully. If I were your size, I'd be thinking of a Sport or Revolution for a solo boat, depending upon my need for speed.

I'm no expert, so i would try a demo as you intend to use the boat before plopping down the cash.

-bob

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 8:14 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

bsee wrote:
I am surprised no one has recommended two boats yet. You have three people. A solo and a tandem would allow all three to float, and you could pick the right one for fewer than three participants. Of course, cost would be way higher, but it could be a future goal.

As far as an Outback goes, that's a big boat for a 130 lb human. I know the older models wouldn't have worked well for you, but I don't know if you are heavy enough to settle a newer Outback hull fully. If I were your size, I'd be thinking of a Sport or Revolution for a solo boat, depending upon my need for speed.

I'm no expert, so i would try a demo as you intend to use the boat before plopping down the cash.

-bob

Wouldn't the sport be too unstable for fishing?

Also, wouldn't the outback be much faster because it's much longer?

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 9:44 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

Grampa Spey wrote:
...you are a often on the cavelier side and separated from the realities many of us face. I can just see some California lawyer showing pictures of you showing easy it is to pick up an Oasis or what ever and load it on or off a vehicle.
Thank you for your comments and thoughts. Let me assure you that my ramblings have nothing to to with the Hobie Cat Co. -- or the manufacturer of the vehicle I drive. My opinions aim to reflect on the capabilities of the product, not the user. Everyone has to apply this to his/her own circumstance as to whether and how this may benefit them. :wink: