Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:55 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: BACK ON FROM CAPSIZE
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 6:47 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi everybody:

The TI is fun. I would say GREAT FUN, but it deserves to practice some tips just in case we see ourselves in difficult situations. This is what I tried in this video. Anyway I´m considering to practice other ways and film other vids. It might be useful...
In fact, my AI capsized once when sailing the most difficult part of the island. The wind and the tramp helped me to pull the AI back on, so I didn´t fold both amas, only one and left the other with the tramp...
I´m sure there might be other HOW TO´s, probably easier than this way, but not having other rope or knowledge and after trying to pull from the mid hull handle, this is the way I found effective.

excuse my english, it isn´t that good.

greetings from Spain

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=041qWrKbwjc[/youtube]

Post subject: Re: BACK ON FROM CAPSIZE
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 3:19 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Ed,
Very interesting and informative.
Thanks for posting. 8)

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 4:39 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

From my catamaran-sailing days and plenty of turtle experience, I would think to leave one ama extended and one ama in. While standing on the ama that is closed to the hull use a rope tied to the extended ama and lean backward to roll the boat over being careful not to knock yourself in the head with the extended ama when it comes over the top. I will try this this weekend and report back :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 5:39 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I may try it on the TI3 this weekend too, but not intentionally. :wink:

I love this video too, especially when the TI is flipping and it turns yellow - as all the "blood rushes out"!

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 5:02 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Fishyak wrote:
From my catamaran-sailing days and plenty of turtle experience, I would think to leave one ama extended and one ama in. While standing on the ama that is closed to the hull use a rope tied to the extended ama and lean backward to roll the boat over being careful not to knock yourself in the head with the extended ama when it comes over the top. I will try this this weekend and report back :mrgreen:

yes, thank you! I think it is only necessary 30 degrees angle to do that. I didn't have any rope on that moment and thought that it was going to be easier, I used the main sheet as it was, not even taking it off from sail... thanks very much! I´ll try that way soon.

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 5:04 am 
Site Rank - Captain

thanks very much Stringy and Nohuhu, It´s a pleasure, I learn a lot from you. Thanks very much!

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 5:35 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Cav, I noticed one other item, your sail was completely furled, this would not be the case in most cap-size events, so we should try this with sail extended. With sail out it you will have to try to point your boat to wind prior to roll over.

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 5:56 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

nice video (good editing and production) but i noticed your cart was underneath the TI when you were sailing...?

i did this only once and i felt like i was going slower in the water, do you not notice this at all?

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 6:30 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Fishyak wrote:
Cav, I noticed one other item, your sail was completely furled, this would not be the case in most cap-size events, so we should try this with sail extended. With sail out it you will have to try to point your boat to wind prior to roll over.

Well, this is a good point: the first and only time I capsized, the sail was completely furled. That could be normal as we tend to roll or furl the sail to avoid capsizing, if that wasn´t the case, then we have to do it underwater or uncleat the main sheet as it says the owner´s manual, otherwise things will be complicated; I guess is difficult also to keep the boat pointing the wind because of the waves...

rusty_sojah wrote:
nice video (good editing and production) but i noticed your cart was underneath the TI when you were sailing...?

not really, maybe the video is not that well edited. It was a calm day and the cart was just behind me in "upside down" position as I always do it. I placed it underneath after pushing my boat to flip it! exactly we can feel the difference when sailing if cart is underneath...

thanks very much

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 5:56 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for posting this, very informative. This is something we should all practice. I'm wondering if anyone has righted an AI or TI leaving the amas extended. I normally sail with the tramps and could see it being a PIA in a pressure situation to unbuckle all the buckles on the tramp to fold an ama in, especially if there is gear strapped to them. I'm thinking one would stand on an ama to weight it and pull the boat back over them. You'd probably need a line coming out of the water over the other ama to get some leverage. Anyone ever tried this?

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 7:16 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

travt wrote:
I'm wondering if anyone has righted an AI or TI leaving the amas extended.
After over five years of AI (& TI) sailing, I finally rolled an AI on a surf launch when I broke a rudder pin by barely hitting the rudder on the bottom on a four foot wave. The next wave (five foot) rolled me. :o

I was so pumped with adrenalin (seeing the next waves coming in) that I stood on one ama and grabbed the tip of the Mirage drive fin in a death grip and leaned back hard. The boat slowly righted. I quickly hopped back in and paddled out of the surf zone and replaced the rudder pin to continue my planned sail.

After the fact, it was actually fun! Everything was leashed and stowed so nothing was lost, and nobody got hurt.

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 12:28 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

After Eduardos great video, I put some more thought into this subject. We were going to test the TI3 in open water and very strong winds today, with double Hakas installed.

With Hakas in place on the AI/TI's, you really don't have the option of folding the Amas in (but then, you are less likely to be flipped by a broken part). So planning is required-especially for the TI3. Try to Imagine flipping THIS back upright by yourself: :shock:

In todays conditions, there was a very good chance of rolling the TI3 so I brought along a righting line consisting of 2 Hobie tie downs with brass clips on each end.

Clipped together, it serves as a longer "One man" line for the solo sailor (or he can use 2 for leverage). Or 2 men can each take one and wrap it around the opposite windward Ama. Standing on the leeward ama (or Haka) while pulling should apply plenty of force to slowly bring the turtle upright.

After that, there's the beauty of having a leash in your hand so the boat doesn't go on without you. Once a TI regains its wind profile, you would not believe how fast it can go in 20+ knot wind - an how slow you can swim in rough chop.

I suggest the righting line needs to be stored and accessible in the stern, or else it will be of no use, right?

I'm really happy that cavendish62 donated the time and effort to present this important safety subject so well. It helped me today.

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 6:00 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Great info guys, thanks. The issue with the islands is that when you flip they are most likely going to flip over completly as opposed to a catamaran that will usually stay on its side. Also, to anyone thinking about practicing this; remember to disconnect the mainsheet from the sail after you turtle. If not the last thing you may see is your boat sailing off without you. :shock:

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 9:29 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

travt wrote:
Also, to anyone thinking about practicing this; remember to disconnect the mainsheet from the sail after you turtle. If not the last thing you may see is your boat sailing off without you. :shock:
It's also much harder and slower to flip it back with a sail full of water!

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 5:13 am 
Site Rank - Captain

NOHUHU wrote:
I'm really happy that cavendish62 donated the time and effort to present this important safety subject so well. It helped me today.

thanks very much for your comment. I´m very glad it is useful!

We are planning to shot a new video... pulling a rope from the opposite AMA and just uncleating the mainsheet from sail.