Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:13 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 11:46 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I was online at Hobie's website this weekend checking out the new PA-12, expecting a shorter version of the PA-14, but with everything about the same in just a smaller version...But to my Surprise and Envy...The PA-12 was very different than the 14...I was jealous because the PA-12 had many improvements over the 14 that I wished were available for the 14...Improvements such as the lighter & removable adjustable seat...The "transducer ready" hull design...And the "twist and seal" center hatch that will help reduce the water seepage inside the hull.

I've spent alot of time and money making improvements and upgrades to my PA-14 because of earlier design "flaws?"...It seems that because Hobie has a forum where people can talk about their PA problems and successful improvements, the engineers use the forum to get their ideas for future changes and upgrades...Not a bad idea...In fact...A Great Idea :idea:

I wish that I was on their design team for the PA. I have all kinds of ideas for practical improvements and optional add-ons that would make the PA a better fishing platform than it already is...:D

To everyone that reads my post...PLease excuse my griping...I'm just upset that I've spent so much time and effort, not to mention the money I've spent, in making improvements to the PA...And now it seems that Hobie has an additional model PA...2 feet shorter (PA-12)...Lighter...And with upgrades related to steering positions, storage, seating and transducer mounting...All standard features on the PA-12 that I wish were included on my original PA-14 :cry:

Oh well...I guess that I should make a choice...Either just shut up and continue to custom improve my PA-14, or sell it and buy the new PA-12 with the many improvements, now standard...

BTW...I wonder if the shorter PA-12 is more difficult to keep a straight course without making many steering corrections, than the PA-14?...Generally speaking,...The shorter and wider a boat is...Doesn't that make it slower, and more difficult to keep a straight course?

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 11:54 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Get a PA 12 now and by the time you get it the PA 14 will come will have a stripper pole to mount were the sail goes. I say stick with what you got and play Amish so you don't know what's new. On second thought "screw the Amish,they will never read this". Lol

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 5:46 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

......... so why not put the same improvements in the PA 14 ....... I like my space ........

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 6:01 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Rumor has it that the PA14 will have those in 2013 and a bigger price tag!
:!:

2012 Pro Angler
Take a kid fishing!

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 7:05 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

YakFish,

What do you want for your PA14? Where are you located? Just wondering if you sell out to get the PA12...good luck.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 8:13 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I hear what you are saying, YakFish, but the last thing any of us wants is for Hobie to stop innovating and offering new and improved products. Any consumer products company that isn't innovating is going away. We don't want Hobie to go away. I agree that it is great that they obviously listen closely to the wants and needs of their customers. Just remember that when you purchased your PA, it was the latest and greatest fishing machine with all the awesome features you'd ever need. Then you used it and found things you would and, subsequently, have improved. The same will happen for PA 12 owners.

I, too, look at some of these great innovations and wish they had been available for my 2010 PA "Bubba Edition". That said, I feel that way about my car, TV, refrigerator, video game system, cell phone, and every other product that I'm not willing or able just toss or trade in on a new model. I'd go crazy with buyers remorse if I let myself become enamored with advancements each new model year.

I've got my PA rigged up just the way I want it and I throughly enjoy every opportunity I have to use it. I suspect you feel the same. I'll go with that. When my needs change and my PA 14 can't do what I want, then I'll go see what's new.

Keep the new stuff coming, Hobie!

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 8:29 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

There is an old adage for doctor from doctors re adopting new products/procedures/techique.

Never be the first nor the last to use a new approved drug or procedure/technique.

After 3 seasons of being a yak owner, I now say:

"Never be the first nor the last into a yak or PFC!" :mrgreen:

YakFish wrote:
I was online at Hobie's website this weekend checking out the new PA-12, expecting a shorter version of the PA-14, but with everything about the same in just a smaller version...But to my Surprise and Envy...The PA-12 was very different than the 14...I was jealous because the PA-12 had many improvements over the 14 that I wished were available for the 14...Improvements such as the lighter & removable adjustable seat...The "transducer ready" hull design...And the "twist and seal" center hatch that will help reduce the water seepage inside the hull.

I've spent alot of time and money making improvements and upgrades to my PA-14 because of earlier design "flaws?"...It seems that because Hobie has a forum where people can talk about their PA problems and successful improvements, the engineers use the forum to get their ideas for future changes and upgrades...Not a bad idea...In fact...A Great Idea :idea:

I wish that I was on their design team for the PA. I have all kinds of ideas for practical improvements and optional add-ons that would make the PA a better fishing platform than it already is...:D

To everyone that reads my post...PLease excuse my griping...I'm just upset that I've spent so much time and effort, not to mention the money I've spent, in making improvements to the PA...And now it seems that Hobie has an additional model PA...2 feet shorter (PA-12)...Lighter...And with upgrades related to steering positions, storage, seating and transducer mounting...All standard features on the PA-12 that I wish were included on my original PA-14 :cry:

Oh well...I guess that I should make a choice...Either just shut up and continue to custom improve my PA-14, or sell it and buy the new PA-12 with the many improvements, now standard...

BTW...I wonder if the shorter PA-12 is more difficult to keep a straight course without making many steering corrections, than the PA-14?...Generally speaking,...The shorter and wider a boat is...Doesn't that make it slower, and more difficult to keep a straight course?

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 10:21 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

TDK wrote:
I hear what you are saying, YakFish, but the last thing any of us wants is for Hobie to stop innovating and offering new and improved products. Any consumer products company that isn't innovating is going away. We don't want Hobie to go away. I agree that it is great that they obviously listen closely to the wants and needs of their customers. Just remember that when you purchased your PA, it was the latest and greatest fishing machine with all the awesome features you'd ever need. Then you used it and found things you would and, subsequently, have improved. The same will happen for PA 12 owners.

I, too, look at some of these great innovations and wish they had been available for my 2010 PA "Bubba Edition". That said, I feel that way about my car, TV, refrigerator, video game system, cell phone, and every other product that I'm not willing or able just toss or trade in on a new model. I'd go crazy with buyers remorse if I let myself become enamored with advancements each new model year.

I've got my PA rigged up just the way I want it and I throughly enjoy every opportunity I have to use it. I suspect you feel the same. I'll go with that. When my needs change and my PA 14 can't do what I want, then I'll go see what's new.

Keep the new stuff coming, Hobie!

Well put TDK!

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2015 Pro Angler 14 - Papaya
2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 11:00 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks everyone for your replies. In my original post I was just venting. I realize that Hobie needs to continue to upgrade it's product line and monitor it's forums in order to better it's business and keep its customers happy. I was just surprised at how different the PA-12 was. When I compared the 2 PAs, like someone might if they'd never owned a PA before, it was kind of scary. I couldn't believe that part of me was selling out to the new, smaller 12. Both are great fishing platforms though, but other than having more space...I believe the new PA-12 is sexier and has more options, so I probably would have bought it. BUT...

Because I already own the 14, and love it :D , and have made many modifications to customize it the way I prefer...And...I like having more space...I definitely am not interested in selling it or trading to get a new 12.

My hope is that Hobie will continue to come out with upgrades that can be fit or used on the older model PA-14s. The new seat setup that is standard on the PA-12 looks like it might be a sexy upgrade to the PA-14s :wink:...But without ever having driven the new seat, I can only speculate :)

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 11:43 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Yes, I agree.
I was about to buy a 2012 PA14 back in April but saw how different and "better" the PA12 was and decided to delay my purchase.

I think we're seeing such a huge change because the category of a PFC is still a very new one. The PA isn't just another kayak and it's still a pretty new concept. Hobie has now had around 5 years of field testing and feed back and it was enough feed back to justify creating a whole new mold and a majorly modified boat.

I don't think we'll be seeing another upgrade of this magnitude for at least another 5 years. The PA line is fairly mature now.

Will the new PA12 have quirks and annoyances? Maybe, but here's to hoping that they've managed to take all the lessons learned over the last 5 years and incorporate them into the PA12.

With any luck my dealer will be getting his shipment next week (even though the store clerk said not to expect the PA's until August - I've seen the photos posted on the forums so I KNOW they're being shipped out).

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 12:30 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Gator, for someone who doesnt have a PA yet ,I would not go as far as to say better. Yes there are differences, and the 14 might get those. But for the price, I would say I got more than you did. I have more storage, more weight capacity, rod storage. I only see a difference in the seat. But hows does the arm rest affect casting? If I was a fly fisherman the great point of the 12 is the flush storage. But then again, you only have two where the 14 has 4. So lets wait. I have only seen one person in Ca. that has one. Lets let them write some opinios and go from there. :idea:

2012 Pro Angler
Take a kid fishing!

Last edited by gotcha on Fri May 25, 2012 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 12:50 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Much of this is subjective. In mind my, the PA14 is vastly superior to the PA12 in almost every way. It all comes down to your personal criteria for what you're doing with the boat.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 3:27 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Have a PA14 and love it. Planning to replace wife's Outback and saw PA12 on Hobie site. Initial impressions are this is perfect for her. A little narrower, shorter and lighter. seat looks cool, but worry about arms getting in the way, but might not. As for transducer ready mod, I am real comfortable with exopxying mine in and have enough FF I don't need to swap around. Removal is still very easy

I will probable get a PA12 for her and will try it myself, but no regrets on the PA14.

2005 Hobie Outback (2)

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 5:08 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

The PA12 will certainly be better - for SOME people. The 2013 models of both the 12 and the 14 will have improvements, or at least changes, from the previous models. So will the 2014 models, and the 2015 models, and...

Get the picture?

If you haven't bought one yet, research, compare, apply YOUR needs and wants - and then buy one. If you already own one and you're happy, count your blessings. If not, follow the advice for a buyer. Trade up, or across, or simply wait for whatever comes next.

In the meantime, go fishing.