Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:21 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 7:12 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yesterday, I got a diagnosis of patellofemoral pain syndrome in my right knee.

http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/pate ... c-overview

The good news is basically the same as the bad news: There is no operation to repair the damage, and the bad news is there is no surgery to repair my knee and relieve my symptons.

Exercises are recommended, and apparently, one of the best exercises, desribed below, is the use of an exercise bike as described below.

Is there a good exercise bike that does a fair to good job of replicating the action of a Hobie Mirage unit:

What is patellofemoral pain syndrome?

Patellofemoral pain syndrome is pain in the front of the knee. It frequently occurs in teenagers, manual laborers, and athletes. It sometimes is caused by wearing down, roughening, or softening of the cartilage under the kneecap.

What causes patellofemoral pain syndrome?

Patellofemoral pain syndrome may be caused by overuse, injury, excess weight, a kneecap that is not properly aligned (patellar tracking disorder), or changes under the kneecap.

What are the symptoms?

The main symptom of patellofemoral pain syndrome is knee pain, especially when sitting with bent knees, squatting, jumping, or using the stairs (especially going down stairs). You may also experience occasional knee buckling, in which the knee suddenly and unexpectedly gives way and does not support your body weight. A catching, popping, or grinding sensation when walking or with knee movement is also common.

How is patellofemoral pain syndrome diagnosed?

Your health professional will conduct a medical history and physical exam to determine the cause of your pain. In some cases, imaging tests including X-rays or magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) may be done. These tests allow a doctor to view the tissues inside your knee to rule out damage to the structure of the knee and the tissues connected to it.

How is it treated?

Patellofemoral pain syndrome can be relieved by avoiding activities that make symptoms worse.

Avoid sitting or kneeling in the bent-knee position for long periods of time.

Adjust a bicycle or exercise bike so that the resistance is not too great and the seat is at an appropriate height. The rider should be able to spin the pedals of an exercise bike without shifting weight from side to side, and the legs should not be fully extended at the lowest part of the pedal stroke.

Avoid bent-knee exercises, such as squats, deep knee bends, or 90-degree leg extensions.

Other methods to relieve pain include:

Taking nonprescription anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), such as ibuprofen or naproxen sodium, to decrease swelling, stiffness, and pain.
Ice and rest.

Physical therapy exercises. Exercises may include stretching to increase flexibility and decrease tightness around the knee, and straight-leg raises and other exercises to strengthen the quadriceps muscle.

Taping or using a brace to stabilize the kneecap.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 8:14 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

There is not a specific machine designed for it, but I know some gyms have a leg press machine with individual sides so you can work both legs at the same time or just one. You could place the lightest weight possible on there and do some non-load bearing flexing. That's the only thing I know of. If you can't find one like that, you can always just use the regular one and use one foot with no weight. I think most presses have some weight to them anyway without adding any to it. I have the same condition.

PowerTeam Lures - deadly on bass!!! use promo code "HANOVER" at checkout for a 15% discount

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 12:48 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Grampa, hard to bear but no there isn't - you will just have to spend more time in your Hobie :lol: You can tell the wife that is on medical grounds :P

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 2:04 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks.

I was looking for a home use machine that would fit under my desk or at the foot of my easy chair.

Hanover_Yakker wrote:
There is not a specific machine designed for it, but I know some gyms have a leg press machine with individual sides so you can work both legs at the same time or just one. You could place the lightest weight possible on there and do some non-load bearing flexing. That's the only thing I know of. If you can't find one like that, you can always just use the regular one and use one foot with no weight. I think most presses have some weight to them anyway without adding any to it. I have the same condition.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 4:15 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Actually, there are some reasonably inexpensive toys that are in the general style. For example, take a look at the highly-rated [url=
http://www.amazon.com/gp/redirect.html? ... ative=9325]In-Motion Elliptical[/url].

There are a couple other devices that are more like cycles and a couple that are more like steppers. The stepper is closest to the Mirage pedal system. I found a youtube video of someone on the in-motion both in sitting and standing positions. These do have a relatively short range of motion. The cycles have the best range, which might be important to your rehab, though not Hobie-like. Look at the Exerpeutic Motorized Mini ACTIVCycle, and other less expensive devices of the same style.

In any case, if you get on Amazon starting with one of the above toys, you should be able to see if there are any similar ones that are more suitable to you. You might find a portable stepper that you can build a base for to hold it at an angle where it could be used in a seated position and approximate the Mirage motion.

PS - that URL tag doesn't work as I would have expected - sorry about that...

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 6:30 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Elliptical Trainer :D

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 8:52 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Grampa Spey wrote:
Is there a good exercise bike that does a fair to good job of replicating the action of a Hobie Mirage unit:
Nope. Closest is a "stepper" -- it closely simulates the muscles used with Mirage Drive, gently giving way as you step, working the quads and glutes. Problem is, it is weight bearing -- you're standing.

Maybe best for you is a magnetic resistance recumbent exercycle -- quiet, comfortable, good for reading, watching TV while you work the knees. Variable resistance lets you work on motion or muscle. More knee and hip motion than the Mirage Drive, but with some models you may be able to adjust (if uncomfortable) by substituting smaller crank arms -- or, you can just just do partial arcs if there are limberness problems. The one shown here is a Stamina Fusion 4545 -- relatively inexpensive (especially used), quiet, comfortable, step through design, good ratings. 8)
Image Image

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 7:21 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I use a recumbent bike for my mirrage drive simulation.

It's not exact, but it is comfortable and allows me to watch tv.

I got an inexpensive schwinn from amazon that had good ratngs and I'm very pleased with it. I've had it for two years now.

I could get the exact model if you are interested.

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 11:56 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

The recumbent stepper is very close to the Hobie action.

They are frequently in cardiac rehab facilities. If there is a physical therapy center near you it may be available.

The one I use is from NuStep. Very expensive to purchase for the home, but a machine that will last a lifetime.

http://www.nustep.com/products/t5/

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 12:50 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

WOW for once I AM THE BEST SOURCE on a hobie thread.
What you want to do is find a gym that has a "Nustep" machine. They are not cheap machines but are common in the trade. they are the machine of choice for patients with knee injuries and other mobility issues.
Anyone on here that sells hobies should look up what I am telling ya and find a gym in their neighborhood so they can point their buyers to one when they have a limitation with a hobie drive.
I went and did an internet search so those of you that need one can know what you need to look for. The movement of the nustep is EXACTLY that of the hobie drive
Now for my disclaimer: While this is the EXACT movement of a hobie drive I am not suggesting it is right for anyone that is injured. Only a Qualified medical professional should prescribe a specific physical therapy treatment plan.
here it is...you do NOT have to use the hands.
http://www.fitnesssuperstore.com/Nustep ... rs4000.htm

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 4:56 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Interesting peice of equipment.

Not sure if it is better, worse or just different than a bike.

It definately is closer to the mirrage drive motion.

Good luck, and let us know what you find out.

Post subject: Re: Roadrunner, Thanks
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 8:15 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

What I try to do on orders of stuff like this is have it shipped to my local Walmart, and I get free shipping. Then, if anything is wrong or goes wrong, I take it back to my local Walmart for a minimal hassle. I learned this method last year and have save $100's of $'s on cameras, digital camera cards and many other items.

Unfortunately the machine you cited is out of stock and not available, but a similiar one is available at a little better price with similiar high ratings by customers. I will probably order one on Monday.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Marcy-ME-709- ... gMethod=rr

Roadrunner wrote:
Grampa Spey wrote:
Nope. Closest is a "stepper" -- it closely simulates the muscles used with Mirage Drive, gently giving way as you step, working the quads and glutes. Problem is, it is weight bearing -- you're standing.

Maybe best for you is a magnetic resistance recumbent exercycle -- quiet, comfortable, good for reading, watching TV while you work the knees. Variable resistance lets you work on motion or muscle. More knee and hip motion than the Mirage Drive, but with some models you may be able to adjust (if uncomfortable) by substituting smaller crank arms -- or, you can just just do partial arcs if there are limberness problems. The one shown here is a Stamina Fusion 4545 -- relatively inexpensive (especially used), quiet, comfortable, step through design, good ratings. 8)
Image Image

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 8:26 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Great equipment. However, they are a little expensive even used.

I told my wife these were recommended, and I could have a new PA 12 delivered and set up on our back deck as my new knee exerciser and save money versus the NuStep. :mrgreen:

She said 3 yaks were enough for a banged up senior citizen. :cry:

frisbee wrote:
WOW for once I AM THE BEST SOURCE on a hobie thread.
What you want to do is find a gym that has a "Nustep" machine. They are not cheap machines but are common in the trade. they are the machine of choice for patients with knee injuries and other mobility issues.
Anyone on here that sells hobies should look up what I am telling ya and find a gym in their neighborhood so they can point their buyers to one when they have a limitation with a hobie drive.
I went and did an internet search so those of you that need one can know what you need to look for. The movement of the nustep is EXACTLY that of the hobie drive
Now for my disclaimer: While this is the EXACT movement of a hobie drive I am not suggesting it is right for anyone that is injured. Only a Qualified medical professional should prescribe a specific physical therapy treatment plan.
here it is...you do NOT have to use the hands.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 11:29 am 
Hobie Team Member

Ah I think getting a new Adventure could be entirely justified. :mrgreen:

The new step machine site states

The workout is a natural motion that is easy on the hip and knee joints in a biomechanically correct workout position. It allows for Total Body Conditioning of the cardiovascular and muscular systems

And it's just duplicating the Hobie movement?? :lol:

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 2:51 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

AlohaDan wrote:
Ah I think getting a new Adventure could be entirely justified. :mrgreen:
This is truer than you may think! A couple of years ago I was in physical therapy following a knee operation. Here's a pic of my physical therapist, Dr. Skye Grayson in a Revo 13 leading some entrants at a triathlon event where kayaking was substituted for swimming. After going out on this "demo", he approved the Mirage Drive as part of the therapy program! :D

Note: This is not to suggest that the use of a Mirage Drive is a solution for ALL knee problems. Always best to consult your physician or therapist first!