Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:29 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 1:20 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Can anyone recommend an economical sail storage tube or box for my H16? The Hobie Toy Box is really cool, but the price is more than I can afford.

I would consider building something if someone has a suggestion.

Thanks!

Michael
86 H16

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 1:59 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I finally got around to building myself a boat box this spring. Built it out of about 1-1/4" x 1-1/2" pine framing with 1/4" plywood skin, elmers glue, and drywall screws. The dimensions are about 12-1/2"H x 18"W x 120"L. A side door in the front and another door at the back. So far I'm pretty pleased with the results. The only issue may be the wood eventually rotting, but I used several coats of water sealant inside and out, so hopefully it will last a couple years. So far the doors have been water tight. The total cost was around $100 (plus around 15 hours construction time).

If you build your own out of wood, my advise would be to not put doors on the top or make the top removable. These will be very hard to seal against rain water ingress and will probably cause the box to rot out quickly.

sm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 5:27 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I bought a 20 foot corragated 12 in plastic drain conduit, (No predrilled holes in the conduit), and 2 caps. I cut the tube in half and put a 1X6 on the bottom of my trailer. I then secured it all together with pipe strapping, large circle clamps might work too. I also drilled holes in the bottom so it would get air and drain water. I sealed the rear cap with silicone and rivited it on with aluminum rivits. I also rivited a hasp to put a lock on the front of it. It may not be beautiful, but it works-except one time ants, (bugs, not old women Ha, ha), got in it!
Total cost in 2002 was about $80.00
You can also get smaller diameter tubes as well. I also have a plastic truck tool box to store other items on my trailer.
Unfortunatily when I moved I left the other 10 foot section at my old house.
Thanks, John G.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 9:36 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I made one from a length of 12" PVC pipe cut lengthwise and hinged. I added an end cap and "warhead" to my "Storpedo." :D It is a bit heavy, but is tough and will last forever.

'86 H16, Sail #89057

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 6:38 am 
Site Rank - Captain

aschaffter wrote:
I made one from a length of 12" PVC pipe cut lengthwise and hinged. I added an end cap and "warhead" to my "Storpedo." :D It is a bit heavy, but is tough and will last forever.

Mine is extremely similar....it just doesn't have the torpedo front end! Mine also doesn't flip in half. I just put a hinged door on both ends for access. Works great! I have a toy box too, but I cary two sets of sails to the beach! Can't be looking the exact same everyday! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 8:10 am 
Site Rank - Captain

How does purchasing something like a Hobie Toy Box vs building something on your own affect the resale value of the boat?

If you spend $400 on a Toy Box will it potentially raise the resale value of the boat by $300 - $400? Or if you spend $100 building your own will it raise the resalve value by $100 or so?

I'm not planning to sell the boat right away. I'm thinking about the future when I might upgrade!

I know this is a fuzzy question, but any insight would be appreciated!

Michael
'86 H16 Captain

'86 H16 #91487

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 9:36 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

That's an extremly fuzzy question. I think most people interested in buying a used boat will primarliy be looking at the boat, not the boat box. And selling used stuff is pretty much a crap shoot anyway. It all depends on the buyer and the amount of money they're interested in spending. I would look at just having a box (assuming it's not a total POS) as a selling point for the entire package, but not as a means of getting additional money out of the deal (if that makes any sense).

The point being, get or make the box that works for you. If you end up dropping a lot of cash on a good box and you don't think you can recoup that money when you sell the boat, then keep the box and use it on your next boat.

sm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 6:24 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for everyone's replies! They have been very helpful!

'86 H16 #91487

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 9:25 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

mb87 wrote:
How does purchasing something like a Hobie Toy Box vs building something on your own affect the resale value of the boat?

If you spend $400 on a Toy Box will it potentially raise the resale value of the boat by $300 - $400? Or if you spend $100 building your own will it raise the resalve value by $100 or so?

I'm not planning to sell the boat right away. I'm thinking about the future when I might upgrade!

I know this is a fuzzy question, but any insight would be appreciated!

Michael
'86 H16 Captain

IMHO this is rarely stuff folks will pay for. You would be better selling the sail box separately.

Geoff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 10:14 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

My tubes aren't fancy or anything but I made 2 (a 8 inch and a 10 inch) that cost me about $200 including the caps. I had to make the doors.

They are made out of PVC, both 10 feet long.

David

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 6:38 am 
Site Rank - Captain

DavidBell47 wrote:
My tubes aren't fancy or anything but I made 2 (a 8 inch and a 10 inch) that cost me about $200 including the caps. I had to make the doors.

They are made out of PVC, both 10 feet long.

SWEET LOOKING BOAT! 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 10:07 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Kevin, My boat thanks you for the compliment. :oops:

David

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 6:07 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I love this forum- such great advice! I was just this week trying to think of how to make a sail tube for my 16. A previous 16 I owned had a home made one, but it had bolt heads on the inside of the tube which were bound to rip my sail! Needless to say I let it go with the boat, but now I am stuck without a sail tube on my "new" 16.
So here's my question: Where do you buy 12" diameter PVC, and how do you fasten it to the trailer? I imagine carriage bolts would work, but I have a feeling someone has something more clever than that.
Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 8:24 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Tom, Almost at any large (industrial) plumbing supply house. Not "Home Depot!!! Some dealers will cut a 20' stock length in half and sell you a 10' lenght. This works well as you will only require 10'. For securing the PVC, I personnaly used adjustable pipe clamps. I use 2 lengths to get around the circumference of the larger (10") pipe and one for the smaller (8") one. However, I do use 6 complete sets of clamps per tube. Three in the front and three in the back. I know that some people use 1/4 inch round or flat bar w/draw down hook bolts (or whatever you call them :roll: ) but that was too much work for me.

As for strength, they've been tested. I can't say what would happen if the trailer were to ever impact in an accident (actually, you couldn't say what would happen with tubes w/the heavier anchors either) but I was cut off one day just as the light was changing. The delightful person in front of me slammed on HER brakes so she wouldn't run the light after I had already assessed that I was going to make it (had SHE not cut me off). Needless to say, I had to slam on my brakes as well to keep from hitting her. As I was waiting for my car to stop (hopefully before hitting her) I could just sense that everything on the trailor (including the boat) was going to come crashing through my back window and the mast was going to shoot over my car like a Titan missle at any minute. Long story short, there was no impact and the only thing that moved on my trailor even little bit was my boat. Whatever you use, I'm sure you'll come up with something safe. "Bottom line!!!!" :D

David

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 6:41 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I know this is a old topic but what size is the best for just a sail?
10x8? 10x10?
thanks
optikid

1983 Hobie 16 Cat fever #55697
2008 Laser Radial/4.7 #190471
S.S.S.
S.Y.S.P