Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:00 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Question
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 11:02 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi all,

I've been lurking here for a while but will lurk no more. This is a fantastic board with a lot of useful info.

I am in the market for a new, TI will probably place my order within the next few months (can't wait).

So far (without consulting the wife) I like the Golden Papaya color (high visibility) and the Trail x Model SUT-350-S because I'd like to take my TI to couple of hundred miles in each direction to different lakes as safely as possible.

My question to you is what options to include right of the bat and what's not very useful. I'll be mainly sailing, kayaking the local lakes and ponds in and around the New England.

I've been sailing on and off for about 40 years and find myself downsizing with each purchase this might very well be my last as I am 50+ now, the ease of trailering and launching is important.

I thank you all in advance for your invaluable advice, may you always have the wind on your side.

Just Me

Post subject: Re: Question
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 7:33 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

A PFD and whistle (legally required).

Safety gear (and wear) first, depending on air and water temps and conditions. Also, how far off shore or away from safe takeout locations. Redundant gear like paddle(s), Mirage Drive, spare parts and tools for on the water or shore repair.

The personal comfort items like Sprayskirts :) , tramps or hakas.

Then there's the endless list of mods throughout the forums. :D

Good luck, and have fun!

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 8:33 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I just got a Ti, and had a one-off opportunity to equip it for serious offshore trips (eg all day sails in open water, overnight stops etc). I probably went overboard (pun intended), but you can use the list as an over the top example, and cut back where you feel.
Spray skirts (eg Kayaking Bob)
150N inflatable lifevest x 2
steering handle knob
grey long rudder pin
ss-snap-50mm x 8
Hobie XL 8" gear bucket
Small Hobie gear keeper
Seattle sports bilge pump
Fox 40 Sharx high performance whistle
Full size Fish finder installation kit
Paddle leash - coil
Hobie Lip Grips
Fish finder mount large
First aid kit
Flare kit inshore (2 x red, 2 x orange smoke)
Parachute flares x 2
Sea marker dye x 2
Lowrance Elite-4 DSI Fishfinder/GPS Chartplotter
Lowrance LHR-80 GPS VHF transceiver
ACR ResQlink PLB with GPS
Plastimo hand-bearing compass
dry bag 10L x 2
Trailer towball lock
Reflective tape 2.5M x 50mm
Sea anchor 20"
Anchor chain 1M x 6mm
Galv. swivel 6mm
Galv bow shackle 6.4mm
Anchor rope 8mm x 50M Spliced
Anchor rope 6mm x 15M spliced
16 plait braided poly rope 5mm red/purple x 10M (gives me choice of 10, 25, 60 & 75M anchor line lengths)
"Windward" masthead indicator 200mm
"Cooper" 1.5kg plastic (Jetski) anchor
Trailer
Lockable tie-down straps

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 5:40 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks KayakingBob and tonystott,

I checked out everything you recommended,

Safety gear (and wear) is a no brainer for me as well as Sprayskirts & tramps are tramps secure and strong enough for me to put my 7 year old nephew on them?

Also thinking about getting a GPS, steering handle knob,bilge pump, an air horn, Anchor & rode, masthead windvane just to get going.

I wish Hobie had designed TI\AI with a Jib as in WLC Little Wing. I know cat rigged sailboats of any kind is hard to point to windward especially in high winds. Has anyone here modded theirs for a small jib in a furler?

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 9:16 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Tramps for a 7 year old is fine, just be careful on windier days as they can act as another sail, especially flying up off a wave, and have been known to flip AI's.

A GPS is a great idea, both for safety and quickly learning what your doing on the water. It's often hard to tell how far you are from places/objects or what direction to sail for the most direct route to a point. Also, accurate bragging rights for speed, distance and track. :)

Bilge Pump a must if going very far from shore, or from a safe takeout.

I use a 3 foot long 1 1/2 - 2 inch wide color ribbon tied to the top batten for my wind indicator, and to differentiate each boat.

Hobie did design the TI with a jib in mind, but it had problems in testing and is not perfected. Hull cracking between the front aka x-bars and the bow, I think.

Here's a link to a page on my website with many of my AI mods: http://www.kayakingbob.com/hobie-ai and a page with some older forum posts of mods: http://www.kayakingbob.com/forums

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 11:19 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Just me, I wouldn't mourn the absence of a jib really. I went out yesterday specifically to experiment with windward sailing on my new Ti (second outing). I sailed offshore and in our local lake, in winds varying from 5-12 knots (not a wide range I know).

But I was impressed with the Ti's sailing performance, and even tried furling in 2/3rds of the sail, and was still able to make progress to windward despite being way underpowered. I was able to complete almost all tacks without needing to use a pedal or paddle to get across the wind.

I come from a J24/quarter tonner keelboat background, where you juggle a dozen sail controls etc, and am surprised just how effective the simple cat rig on the Ti is. Of course it is a recreational, rather than competition sailing vessel, but it certainly isn't lame in any way.

Islands are the Swiss Army knife of the sea!

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 1:23 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks tonystott,

I was worried about this but not anymore. From all the videos I've seen, TI seems to be moving fine in all points of sail and in all types of weather.

Happy kayaking/Sailing