Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:05 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 10:38 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Well it finally happened, been sailing from the same beach since 1982 and now I can no longer leave the boat on the beach overnight. In addition to this delima, I cannot rig/derig the boat in the beach access area either. With all the powerlines I can't rig it in the road and roll on the beach as well.
I'm thinking that I can roll it on the cat tracks, mast down, back and forth from the house to the beach. But this requires a way to secure the mast to the boat keeping the weight as centered as possible.
I am thinking about creating a support bar at the bows to tie the mast to and a foam block at the rear crossbar. Any ideas?
I guess I will leave the jib furled on the forestay but cannot figure out how to keep the spin system attached. I have always kept the boat partially rigged on the beach and the idea of rigging it and derigging it everyday does not make me happy. How do you daysailors keep the boat for easy setup?

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 10:54 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Lots of bungees and pads.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 11:34 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You could easily do this with two mast caddies, but those are hard to come by. Maybe stack two 2x4s on top of a 2x6, screw everything together and use the boards to span your hulls in front of the cross bar. You could do something similar on the rear, only just forward of the rear tramp lacing (needs to clear the tiller cross bar and swivel plate). This should provide enough clearance to account for the curved cross bars. You could bungie your mast to the "braces" or tramp lacing. Drill a couple of holes in the 2x6s and knot some line handles to make them easier to carry. Or maybe use 6" PVC pipe??

Sorry to hear about your dilemma.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 12:19 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Why can't you rig/derig in the beach area?

1986 Hobie 18 #13031

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 12:26 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Real bummer....

Try a mast caddie at the rear cross bar, and closed cell foam pads up front.
The mast caddie will 'lock' the mast so you can figure your fore-aft placement, put a piece of tape there as a marker, and you'll have everything balanced.

To lower, remove the bow tang/bridle clevis pins....and the reverse on the raise.
Everything else can be left attached, right?

P S, I can do you a good deal on a Mast Caddie if you need.....
Good winds....

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 2:34 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

John,
I've never seen a mast caddie that fit the rear x-bar properly. I have a cradle that extends from the trailer but thats no help. Scared to carry the mast on the front x-bar because of the jib track mounted there(self-tacking jib).

If I release the bridles can they be used for leverage dropping or raising?

Presto- they will not allow vehicles on the beach. You can't back a trailer beyond the dune line legally.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 6:03 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Bummer,Dude. Could you find a spot on the inside and sail out of the inlet? Its been a constant hustle hear as well , but I have a good setup if you ever want to come this way.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 7:27 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

My Mast Caddy fits properly, you just need that square plastic block between the jaws to ensure uniform clamping force. You could easily craft one out of a small block of wood if need be. I'd be happy to supply measurements and photos if you decide to go down that path.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 3:39 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Genmar- the only inside I have is the ditch. I can't imagine trying to sail through that. I could take the boat to Bird Island but would have issues getting to it if a storm came. Still trying to convince the city counsel to reconsider but so far no luck. Theres not even a marina I could sail out of in N Myrtle. Do you still have mast up storage for your boats?

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 6:42 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Yea, I have mast up storage. Just checking out your area on google earth and your only option would be to find a spot somewhere on the ICW near Little river Inlet. Maybe get a cheata mount ?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:51 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Man that is really too bad. I bring my 18 to DeBordieu Beach just south of Pawleys Island once a year over the week of the 4th and I have not been able to keep the boat on the beach overnight due to the "Turtle People" bitching.

Now I am being told I cannot even bring the boat at all! I know this may be more than you want to do, but have you considered having an attorney look at any overriding county laws?

I have read through the Georgetown, SC County statutes and the county, not the local landowners, have jurisdiction up to the "high tide" mark. I dont know but this really gets me going that you cant keep your boat on the beach. How much more "GREEN" can you get than a sailboat?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:08 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I think all people who recreate should unite and take a stand, or we should talk to the blue ribbon coalition to fight this. This is a common problem for everyone who uses public lands for anything but walking. Land gets taken away like its the last spot for nature in earth. Ever been on an airplane and seen how much freaking land is untouched? In the jeep communities we get land taken away because someone goes hiking at a site set aside for OHV use and finds a stream with silt in it, that stream could have a trout in it so the whole place gets shut down. Never mind the millions of acres of wilderness around it. Myrtle beach gets closed to boats because a sea turtle may decide to make a nest. 5 or 6 honors could end the entire logghead population! Who cares about the millions of dumbasses who visit the beach each year

2010 AHPC C2 #218

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:57 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

ncmbm wrote:
I'm thinking that I can roll it on the cat tracks, mast down, back and forth from the house to the beach. But this requires a way to secure the mast to the boat keeping the weight as centered as possible.

I saw someone use a 10" wide piece of PVC pipe custom cut as a mast caddy. The ends of the pipe were cut to fit the crossbar and mast, then secured with line. You need two. Then roll the boat to the beach and rig there.

I've single-handedly carried my mast balanced on my shoulder and walked slowly, but if you have crew then make two trips to get the gear to the beach.

That's a bummer to lose your launch site, good luck figuring something out.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:08 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Heres the deal in N Myrtle, they allowed the army corps of engineers to provide beach renourishment. There are regulations included in that deal that can be twisted and used to prevent overnight beach storage of anything they deem a blockage, volley ball nets, tents, chairs....they even come around and make kids fill in the holes they dig.
I have approached the town council twice, spoken directly with the mayor and city manager, gotten the local Hobie dealer involved and started a campaign to harrass the police over any violations of the new list of rules.
Interestingly though, I can apply for a free permit to leave my boat on the beach in Myrtle year round.

With John Lunns help I have solved this. I plan to leave the wings down, attach the mast at the rear x-bar with the old style clamp on caddie and use a foam surf rack pad to support the mast at the front x-bar. We are going to walk it right down ocean boulevard every morning and evening, I hope to cause a traffic issue. I think I might be able to pull it behind my golfcart but walking will create a more visual event for the locals and tourists to ponder and question.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:16 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Your mast caddy is being boxed today, and will be mailed tonight....

Dealing with the Army Corps of Engineers is 'interesting'....
I remember how they 'moved' the Rio Grande river in N Mex when oil drilling was an issue on reservation lands.....good luck.

(Chris, your gin pole is on the way, hope the ankle is feeling better).

Please post pictures of your 'procession'......