Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:05 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Gin pole mod
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:06 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I finally got off my ass and did it. I modified the Gin pole for my 21SC. Honestly, I wish I'd done it sooner. WHAT a difference. Much more control, but I'm still nervous as hell when ever I raise or lower the mast. I have to say you can still see a slight bend in the pole. I may change that out with some thick walled tubing at a future date.

Here's some pic's of what I did. Yeah, I know it's a rig...but it WORKS! LOL!

Forget the date stamp in the photo...still haven't gotten my kids to update it...

What I used was some 1/8" aluminum plate and some 5/8" pine board. 5/16" by 4" S/S bolts (should have used 4 1/2" on two of them) and three hand wheel nuts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:01 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Are you using trap wires as used in the EZ system to hold mast steady side to side I always use 3 people to raise mast careful about wind best to have wind over the back of the boat

Gary
Hobie Cat 21SE

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:15 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

The SC Gin pole is set up a little differently than the EZ system. The side stabilizing lines are indeed connected to the trapeze lines and also a line that's looped through each end of the cross bar. I could have probably raised the mast by myself, but prefer to have at least one other person to help.

I wish I had the luxury of being able to always put the wind behind me, unfortunately that's not always possible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:58 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

This looks like a pretty good solution. I've had problems stepping the mast in the past myself. I solved this problem by borrowing a bucket lift, or cherry picker truck from my work. I attach a static rope to an aluminum clip and clip it off to the top shackles on the mast. I then clip a pulley to the bucket and raise it about 25 to 30 feet.
With the base on the ball, I pull the mast up until the forestay can be attached. Then it is just a matter of attaching the shrouds and it is ready to go.
Thie idea is that the force that lifts the mast comes from a high point, not the winch in the trailer.
I send someone up in the bucket to take the clip off of the mast The entire process takes about 5 minutes.

I don't know if this type of equipment is easy to rent, but it makes a pretty fool proof method for stepping the mast.

By the way, my boat spends the season, from March to October, in the water here in Norther CA.

TA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:08 am 
Site Admin

I designed the 21 SC mast stepping system... Something is wrong with how you are setting this up if you get any bend in the pole. The pole is simply in compression.

The pole is held to the mast by that compression.

It requires bridles to the crossbar ends and the connection of the forestay and sheet / winch line to hold it in column. The sheeting system / winch line MUST route to / from the bow spreader in a direct line down from the forestay when the mast is fully hoisted.

It also requires the trap wires to hold the mast from swinging left and right.

Instructions are in the 21SC Manual: http://static.hobiecat.com/2010_archive/support/pdfs/21SC_Manual.pdf

Maybe post a photo of the system set up on your boat and I can try and determine where the problem is.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:50 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Matt, I have the boat rigged as you described, but will post photo's the next time I play with the mast. Looking at your design, things should work. However, I'm not alone with this issue, as others have also raised the same concerns.

My two biggest problems are 1) mast twisting; where the poles base pin tries to roll/pull out as the mast twists and 2) Side sway; When the mast is twisting and swaying at the same time, it's downright scary.

The bending of the pole is noticeable at times, but not my biggest worry.

Thanks

TC

Post subject: Re: Gin pole mod
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 6:17 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You could reduce twisting by adding 2 lines from the pole to the front corner castings

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 11:23 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Rockets wrote:

Forget the date stamp in the photo...still haven't gotten my kids to update it...

HA !! My 10-year old neighbor :
"Yea -- she programs my cell-phone" !!
I Hate it when High-Tech company's adult proof stuff. (sigh)

On the Gin-pole :
Almost done building the molds for my center-board's, (mine were toast).
Had to take the best one and mod it so it would fit both hulls ;Both stuck
down about 1/4" even when pressed firmly up by the LE, so it wasn't just
a stretched retracting cord tuning needed.
When finished i'll be ready to check & see if anything needs repairing on the
stays, and try stepping the mast for the first time.

I didn't get a gin-pole with my cat, could someone tell me it's length ?
I'll need to build one of those also.

Bille

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 2:42 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Is this for raising and lowering the mast when it's off the trailer? I have an A-frame on the trailer I built to raise and lower the mast which doesn't require attaching and unattaching anything to the mast or boat, other than clipping a couple of trapeze wires to the A-frame. I don't stabilize it side to side other than me being on the boat while my wife winches it up or down. The rear mast carrier has a roller on it, so I can just roll the mast back into position. The rear mast carrier detaches, and has a horizontal storage position on the trailer. It's all welded steel and hot-dipped galvanized-24 years old and still looks like it was built last week.

For a little help when off the trailer, I designed my righting pole (never had to use it for righting-never capsized a 21) to attach right above the spinnaker pole as a gin pole. We attach the kite tack line to the trap wires, and take a couple of wraps around the front crossbar. I've thought about rigging a winch, but this is only for emergency use (in case of severe wind with the boat on the beach) and the wrapped line helps a lot in jumping the mast up and down rather than keeping constant pressure on my back.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 10:04 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Tom King wrote:
Is this for raising and lowering the mast when it's off the trailer? I have an A-frame on the trailer I built to raise and lower the mast which doesn't require attaching and unattaching anything to the mast or boat,

YES -- it's for raising & lowering the mast.

I would be Glad to Pay-Pal you the money for a six-pack of
cold Soda-Pop if you would take a few pictures of your A-frame the
next time you step your mast !!
i tried envisioning your creation last night, and was unclear as to how it works. Sounds Good though.

Now -- back to work on my Center-board mold ; i use to
be Faster at this molding stuff ...

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 2:53 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I never figured out how to post pictures on these forums. The A-frame is 1" square metal tubing. It hinges on each of the legs of the A on the front of the front crossbar on the trailer. It is as long as possible to clear the furler as the point of the A is winched down by the trailer winch. You put the mast in position on the step, hinge the A-frame up and hook a couple of trap wires to a big snap-hook on a line that stays attached to the point of the A, crank the winch, and the mast comes up. It has enough mechanical advantage that you don't need to loosen a shroud to adjust rig tension. Just crank the mast up, hook up the forestay, take the tension off the winch, unsnap the trap wires, and you're ready to go. The A frame travels in place resting against the front mast carrier. Nothing to rig up to get ready to raise or lower the mast.

The whole trailer is custom fabricated, with telescoping crossbars, and can be turned into a double decker easily. It was used to pull 2 boats all over the country during the Prosail series.

I'll take a movie and post it on Youtube when I get around to rigging the boat this year-probably the next week or two.