Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:22 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bravo Modification
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:23 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

My new Bravo was equiped with a Nautlos main sheet block with an attached cam cleat. I found that the line would often be cleated when I did not expect it to be. Very disconcerting, somewhat dangerous, and occasionally caused me to go for an unexpected swim. I tried various adjustments but cound not stop it from inadvertently cleating when I did not intend for it to be cleated. So, I removed the cam cleat from the block and mounted it on the sloping hull just forward of the aft storage compartment. This has worked great for me. Now I can cleat it when I want to and don't have to worry about it being cleated when I don't expect it to be. I will be happy to send a picture if someone can tell me how to do that.

Post subject: Re: Bravo Modification
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 6:40 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Is this modification still working for you? I noticed that it is indeed difficult to make a quick release of the sheet. I would like to see a photo if you could do that. Could you email it to [email protected] if you cannot post it?

Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 9:07 am 
Site Rank - Captain

It has been working very well. The only problem is that the sheet can interfere with the tiller so you have to be sure that you have the sheet cleated on the correct side of the tiller. Will email photo next week when I get back to where the boat is located.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 2:41 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am very curious to see it. I am wondering how you quickly switch from port side to starboard side depending on the tack. The tiller interference is my biggest question mark here. Please send a photo when you can.

Thanks, Bahamas Bravo

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 4:16 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hi Bahama Bravo. If you're unsure of how to post a picture, you can email it to me and I'll put it up.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 6:23 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Might take you up on that offer Aug.
Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:56 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Several have asked for a picture of my main block cleat modification. I changed the position of the cam cleat from the block and mounted it on the hull of my Bravo just forward of the aft hatch as described in my original post above. I used it this way for several months and it worked quite well except for the problem of it occasionally interferring with the tiller position. Yesterday I removed it from the hull and reinstalled it on the block. Since I don't use the ratchet mechanism on the block pulley, I completely disassembled the block, removed the ratchet mechanism, and reversed the sides of the cam cleat bracket. So now the cam cleat is facing up towards the larger pulley. Now when I want to cleat the main sheet I pull it down and to uncleat I pull the line up. Much easier than it originally was and I don't accidently cleat the line when I don't intend to. Will email pic to anyone who is interested.