Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:20 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 8:45 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello All,
I'm looking for some pointers or a proven way to fix this crack in the hull of my PA. It's a 2009 I'm the second owner, I pirchased it from a fellow club member. This year I had the steering upgrade and FF installed and the crack wasnt there. I did go fishing last week for 6 hours each day x 2 days which required me to pull the rudder up a couple times. While doing this I didnt notice any issues, but after getting back home and cleaning it up washing the saltwater off it I noticed this crack right where the screw for what I believe is the pressure point for the rudder to be pulled up and let down. I'm hoping that Hobie can do something about this as to me looks like a design flaw. When I pull the rudder up from the down position you can see a 4 inch area bend inward toward the inside of the hull. I'm including a pic maybe someone will chime in. Thanks in advance for your help.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 8:31 am 
Hobie Tech / Moderator

This is something we saw in some of the early Pro Anglers. The single countersunk screw wasn't sufficient and if the line was pulled real hard, or stored with it cleated down real tight, it would break through. We have since changed and are using two Truss heads. These have a big head on them and offer much more support for the block.

To repair this, you'll first want to remove the hardware you have. Drill a hole at each end of the crack to prevent spreading and then grind or melt open the crack a little to expose more surface area of the crack. Melt some plastic into the crack and fill it up. Sand it smooth when its cool.

You can trim a little plastic from the edge of one of your hatches to melt into the crack. A soldering iron or hot knife work great for melting the plastic. With the crack repaired, drill the hole back out, along with the second and install new hardware with big washers beneath them. Here's a photo of a repaired crack:

Let your nearest dealer know if you need any plastic and hardware. Screw 8031069 x2, washer 8080731 x2, nut 8050211 x2.

We also have a KC Welder Kit that works great.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 9:29 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thank you for the response. I will contact my dealer and ask him if he has the parts.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 6:28 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Could this be considered a warranty claim since it was a known issue the way it was made? Would Hobie be willing to pay to have it fixed or possibly replace the hull?

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 4:13 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yes - see a dealer nearby. Sorry that you had this issue, luckily it's a very simple and quick repair - thanks again for posting on the forums.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 4:16 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You'll have to balance the time spent returning and then replacing all the items on the boat into a new hull, against simply repairing it and going on about your business (fishing). I'd go the repair route since it's a quick and easy repair well above the waterline. However, I won't guess at your ability, time nor equipment so I'm only offering my own point of view here.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 9:55 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'm not looking for hobie to replace the entire hull at all. I was just wondering if the repair itself would be covered since it was a known issue with the earlier models. I don't feel comfortable taking on a repair like this so I will be bringing it to a dealer who can fix it correctly. Plus as stated its easier to repair it and get back to fishing than waiting around and then having to move everything over. Thanks for the replies and the advice.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:32 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello All,
I just wanted to post a follow up. After taking my PA to the dealer Hobie is being generous enough to have the issue fixed. I'm happy and grateful that Hobie stands behind their products and has earned more repeated business from me. Thanks again to all at Hobie for their help.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:15 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Jbernier wrote:
Yes - see a dealer nearby. Sorry that you had this issue, luckily it's a very simple and quick repair - thanks again for posting on the forums.

Now that's great customer service!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:50 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have the same problem but screw pulled all the way through and the
cracks are about 2" in an X

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:26 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I would call a local dealer or the place you got it from and see if the warranty is still in effect. If not give hobie a call and ask them if there is anything they can do to help you out. When I spoke with customer service they were very helpful and went out of there way to get mine fixed. Hope this helps.