Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:31 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 5:29 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I see in the catalog that the Upright Solo righting system is different for the H18/20 and the H16. Are they different lengths or what? Would they work interchangeably or is that recipe for disaster?

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 6:22 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Does anyone know if the H18 system will work on an h16?

This is the shroud extending righting system.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 7:55 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I'd guess that the length for the "keeper" on the mast is different. The extender length shouldn't be that critical.

That system has 2 weak points to it. The first is that the pin you will need to pull will be 8 feet above the water and on the other side of the tramp when you need to pull it. The second is that the "keeper" has to be long enough to let the mast move but short enough to keep it on the ball. That's a bet I decided I didn't want to make a mile from shore so I switched to a bag. The "SoloRight" looks like a good system as well.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 8:25 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

JSWoerner wrote:
That system has 2 weak points to it.

And a third one that I see: re-installing the shroud pin after you've righted the boat. Probably not much an issue if you've got two people on board, but probably nearly impossible if you're solo and/or the weather's rough.

Pulling shroud pins while on the water just doesn't seem like a good idea to me. I'd stick with the water bag. Also, the bag is the only item that can help you right from turtle. The shroud extender, righting pole, and soloright will not help if you're turtle.

sm

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 9:49 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hi Zach,

FYI, I recently installed a "Hawaiian Righting System" on my H18 and it worked great last weekend. I popped the main sheet right after falling in, we moved the bows into the wind, and once my son (145 lbs) and I (170 lbs) got on the righting line it came right up.

Mark

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 10:36 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

As far as replacing the pin, on an 18 I'd hook the jib sheet to the rear trap line and pull it into place. Still don't like the system but maybe as a backup.

Hawaiian works with 2 but I'd want something else solo.

Not to start the bob argument again but I have one and it gives me a sense of security.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 11:40 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

JSWoerner wrote:
As far as replacing the pin, on an 18 I'd hook the jib sheet to the rear trap line and pull it into place.

Sounds like a neat idea, but I'd like to see that actually done on a windy day. Jib flogging around (since the sheets would have to be disconnected). Plus you only have a 2:1 purchase to pull the mast over. Also, holding the mast up is a heck of a lot more load than the jib blocks are intended to carry, especially since the blocks are located inboard on the hull so the loads are even higher. I think this would be extremely difficult and probably not work in windy/choppy conditions.

sm

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 11:56 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Only unhook 1 side and furl the jib. You could actually use the wind to push the rig over while you pull jib sheet tight to hold it. Then pin it. I still don't like the system for anything but a last resort.

I use the jib sheets to tension the rig all the time. I thought everybody did.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 12:00 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks everyone. I am looking for a way to solo right for days that I can't find anyone to sail with me. I'll look into the righting bag. I may have a local sailmaker make me a bag for a cheap because I already have blocks to do the raising.

poolemarkw wrote:
Hi Zach,

FYI, I recently installed a "Hawaiian Righting System" on my H18 and it worked great last weekend. I popped the main sheet right after falling in, we moved the bows into the wind, and once my son (145 lbs) and I (170 lbs) got on the righting line it came right up.

Mark

Thanks Mark. I have a new Hawaiian Righting System too and it works wonderfully with 2 people. I'm just trying to come up with something so that I feel comfortable sailing solo.

Saturday was weird with a few random puffs (probably the same one brought us both over). I think we learned our lesson to always uncleat the sails before righting so that the boat doesn't sail away and leave you in the middle of the river :? :lol:

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 12:02 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

What would happen if you rigged up one of those inflatable lifevests to the top of the mast and if need be I swim out there, pull the cord, and get that extra buoyancy boost to help me raise the boat. Probably still not enough to do it solo. I'm 210 so I'm probably getting close to be able to do it solo though.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 12:59 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

JSWoerner wrote:
Only unhook 1 side and furl the jib. You could actually use the wind to push the rig over while you pull jib sheet tight to hold it. Then pin it. I still don't like the system for anything but a last resort.

I use the jib sheets to tension the rig all the time. I thought everybody did.

Jib sheet? No.

Mainsheet and boom, yes.

I could be wrong, but I think it would be quite difficult to use the jib sheet technique on the water. The loads on the rig will be much higher with the main sail hoisted and the boat bouncing around in the chop / swell. Much different than with the boat sitting static on the beach.

Using the wind to hold the rig over would work fine if you've got a crew. If you're sailing solo, there's a pretty good chance you'd flip again when you crawl down to leeward to pin the shroud.

sm

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 1:58 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

point nose into the wind, pull the jib sheet up and cleat off. Lean out with righting lines. May not always work, but worked for me once in the gulf when I was alone and only weighed about 170 lbs at the time.