Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:56 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 6:35 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Recently bought an 85 Hobie 18 Magnum with spinnaker setup. Did not know what I was looking at when I bought it, but upon reading all of the wonderful information in the Hobie forum I realized that the suggested strengthening upgrades were never performed on this boat. So my son and I dove into the project ordered the materials to patch the inside of the hulls and ordered all of the anchor plates.
Started working on grinding/sanding the adhesive from the inside of the hulls so we could fillet the joint to get the cloth epoxy patch smooth through the transition from the deck to the hull, when we noticed that some of the original red glue had cracks in it, and after removing the adhesive we found a crack/hole where the deck joins the hull in the corner of the recess for the anchor plates.
So we are going to fillet the joint using West system 105 epoxy with 406 Colloidal Silica filler, then plan to place the 12 x 12 patch as suggested in the forums. This will cover the cracks and the hole from inside of the hull. Is there any other suggestion anybody has, should we patch the outside of the hull where the crack and hole is or just rely on the epoxy from the inside?

Thanks

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:18 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I would suggest you glass the outside of the hull as well. Grind away the gelcoat and damaged glass and add your patches to the outside. Basically add as much glass as you can while still being able to fit the anchor plate to the hull properly.

The upgraded hull anchors will take most of the load, but it still doesn't hurt to add glass both inside and out.

Use polyester resin for the outside of the hull if you plan to gelcoat the repair.

sm