Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:05 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Classic Wave year?
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 8:57 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I know this has been asked but I could not find an answer. How can I determine the year of a used Wave without driving 3 hours to see the boat? Are the numbers engraved in the rear of hulls?

All I have is a sail pattern. The colors are purple in all three corners, a yellow vertical stripe against the mast and a radial stripe of red and light blue.

If anyone can advise as to how to post an image, I could post the sail pattern if this would help in determining the boat year.

Thanks
t-bone

Post subject: Re: Classic Wave year?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:05 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Well ... there's good news and bad news. The good news is that you can read the year of manufacture from the serial number. The last two digits are the year.

CCML1944A888 ( CCM L 1944 A 8 88 )

CCM - Coast Catamaran Manufacturer

L - The letter in that position "L" stands for the model of boat/kayak. Each boat model (H16, H17, H18 etc.) starts out with a different letter. If more than 9,999 of that model were built in one year, there would be multiple letters for a single model. In example, there were so many Hobie 16's built in some years that the model letters include CCMB, D, E, F, L, O, P R and S (also do to several other factors). The letter must change if we build more than 9,999 in one year.

1944 - Serial number sequence number

A - "A" is the month for January, "B" February and so on.

8 - year which was built in 1988

88- This boat is a 1988 model year. Model years are like cars. The new year starts in September.

The bad news is that it's engraved on the crossmember, front I think, and you have to disassemble the boat to find it. Not easy to convince a seller to try.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:28 am 
Site Rank - Captain

My 2005 Wave has it engraved in the transom of each hull. Maybe the dealer did that?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:57 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hobie has been engraving the serial numbers on the transoms for many years, longer than Waves have been around. The seller should be able to find it easily, but the engraving isn't very deep, so sometimes it's kind of hard to read.

I think those sail colors go back to about 10 years ago, but sails can be replaced or swapped, so always go by the serial numbers to determine age.

2006 Hobie Wave 7358
"Ish Kabibble"

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:07 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Lets assume I can get the serial numbers from the hulls. And the boat is around a 2002-2003 model year. There is no trailer and the seller claims it is in new condition with little use. No jib, no extras and is a Wave Classic.

And the grand question is, what should the selling price would be? The boat is located in the Northeast if that matters.

Thanks for the assistance.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:31 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I paid $2700 for mine (in the fall, so probably down by a couple of hundred) with a trailer and I thought that was a bargain. Boats from 2001 to 2005 have the long (pre EZ-loc) tillers and the full length tramp tubes so you can install a club tramp if you're interested. If you don't buy this boat let me know. I'm in the NE and have a friend who's interested. I have a trailer to fetch it.

Charles

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:23 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I received additional information on the boat. The boat is a 1996. A tad older than first mentioned. Any advice on a fair selling price? No trailer with the boat.

Also, with constant UV exposure has anyone experienced any cracking or other issues to the hulls?