Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:57 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Broken Hobie Wave Batten
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:43 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

How can I get the broken part out of the sail?
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlJIYOyYJLA[/youtube]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:33 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

What I did (your mileage may vary, objects in the mirror ..., of course I won't ... ) was take a sharp piece of steel, turkey lacing skewer in my case, but an awl might be better. and put it against the plastic batten pocket and angled towards the bolt rope. Then push it through the sail material and into the batten end and pry the piece of batten back. It will move about a 1/16" at first. Then again, then again. When it's not jammed in the protector anymore you can run your finger down the batten pocket and push that batten ahead of it.

I know you don't want to make a hole in your sail and I know the batten material is hard and the skewer slips a couple of times but hey ... life isn't perfect. The hole is close to the protector and ... protected. My sail is still OK and I think I had to pry out two.

Good luck. Try to curse under your breath.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:49 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

BigWhoop wrote:
What I did (your mileage may vary, objects in the mirror ..., of course I won't ... ) was take a sharp piece of steel, turkey lacing skewer in my case, but an awl might be better. and put it against the plastic batten pocket and angled towards the bolt rope. Then push it through the sail material and into the batten end and pry the piece of batten back. It will move about a 1/16" at first. Then again, then again. When it's not jammed in the protector anymore you can run your finger down the batten pocket and push that batten ahead of it.

I know you don't want to make a hole in your sail and I know the batten material is hard and the skewer slips a couple of times but hey ... life isn't perfect. The hole is close to the protector and ... protected. My sail is still OK and I think I had to pry out two.

Good luck. Try to curse under your breath.

Thanks!
Got it out.