Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:49 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Leaky mast....
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 9:21 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Went out yesterday and pitched in a gust. The mast actually demasted because of a shroud shackle pin ring ding failing.

Anyways, today stepped mast and noticed there was considerable water in the mast. I think the mast filled with water because on the initial pitch-pole, I demasted and the hobie turtled, so the mast and sail was under water for a good 35 mins.

So which brings us to my question. I obviously don't have a water-tight mast and I would like to know how to seal the mast, once all the water has drained out.

I will be buying a baby bob soon but currently I'm very good at pitch-poling my H16 and am sick of turtling.

Thanks everyone!

[color=#000000]"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children."
[/color]

Post subject: Re: Leaky mast....
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:26 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Kind of curious about this, too. Mine doesn't leak much, but having it well-sealed would be good peace of mind. I'm guessing just some marine silicone around all the fittings to the mast (pulley on top, foot on bottom, and all miscellaneous rivets).

My other problem is the number of rivets that have been replaced over the years have left my mast sounding like one of those rain sticks when I raise or lower it. They all rattle their way in there to the top or bottom. Haven't cared enough to tear something apart and remove them, though.

Post subject: Re: Leaky mast....
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:32 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

There are foam plugs inside the mast below the head and above the base. These should be sealed, along with all the rivets/fittings in between....after you get the water out. Sealing the head and base doesn't accomplish much.