Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:32 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:20 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Just bought a new wave. Had a couple of house-keeping questions; hoping for some good suggestions from other owners or Hobie employees.

1) What is recommended for use to "touch up" the mast if it gets scratched? I have seen some older Wave masts that have some good gouges down to bare metal and wonder if they should be touch up if that happens to mine down the road? If so, what should I use?

2) For those of you who trailer your wave -- a) do you use a winch or, if not, do you wish you had a winch? b) What do you do with your mast while trailering? (no mast stand, a fore mast stand, fore and aft, etc.?? and c) what size tires/wheels are on your trailer?

3) Anyone sailing around Atlanta (Lanier or Allatoona) and, if so, can you suggest good places to trailer launch a Hobie?

More questions certainly to follow, but thanks for your advice.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 6:22 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have owned my wave now for 1 year and have noticed several light scratches near the comptip and lower on the aluminun base near the sail track.I will try some flat black paint on the lower mast and some gloss black on the comptip.
The boat trailers very nicely with a mast stand and I should add that any dealer that sell's this boat should include the mast stand in order to reduce the set up time,as the mast would need assembly before sailing and this takes time.Don't really need the winch,however, it comes in handy when securing the mast to the mast stand.
Please remember the trailer could be used for a future boat ,like a Hobie 16 and you really need one for the wave.I trailer launch at any boat ramp and it takes around 15 min to set up and go just make sure that your not blocking the ramp from others to use while setting up.

Happy sailing:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 9:18 pm 
Authorized Hobie Dealer

Location: 315 N. Hwy 79 Panama City Beach, FL 32413 850-235-2281
We offer the H16 trailer on all waves sold, the trailers last forever, and most people tend to upgrade to a larger cat in a few years and trailer are not going to be getting any cheaper. The mast stand is a must on larger cats and really handy on the wave.

http://www.sunjammers.com
www.facebook.com/sunjammers

Post subject: Wave advise
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 9:18 am 
Site Admin

1) Black marker / felt pen. A Sharpie. Corrosion is not that big a deal if not directly in contact with stainless. Doesn't seem to really corrode that much in just a scratch.

2) 8" tires are plenty big for the Wave. 12" are used for heavier loads and long / fast highway speeds.

I suggest a mast stand, but it is simple to disconnect the two mast pieces and tie down.

No winch is needed. The boat is light, slick and slides onto the trailer easily.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject: Winches and Masts
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 8:26 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I trailer my Wave and do not use a winch and would not want one. Boat is very easy to pull up (I back the trailer into the water until the rear bar is just in the water). I use the Hobie tie downs for the Wave to hold the boat onto the trailer. A winch just adds weight and is another place to scratch yourself. As for the mast, I use a mast stand. The stand is high and keeps the front of the mast well over my car (I can easily open the tailgate on my Subaru wagon while the mast is up). I pull the mast forward so that the mast bob is between the rudders. Then I tie a thin rope from the back bar through the halyard sheeves so that the mast can't slide back. Make sure that the mast is not resting on the sail track on the back of the mast. The trailer came with pretty small tires that work fine.