Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:50 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:32 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Just bought my first "82 Hobie 16, I think i stole it for $450 with hulls in perfect condition..my question is ..the previous owner ran a separate line for the main traveler car, that is separate from the main sheet block ..is this normal?? I found it difficult to get the end of main sheet to ride smoothly through the traveler as it was tight, so I left it as it was.

Also how often is the traveler actually eased. I will be in california fresh water with winds rarely of 15..

Thanks for the help and all of the great info.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:58 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Much easier with one long mainsheet also used for the traveller. Much easier to find it.

As far as how often? I travel-in upwind and travel-out downwind, so anywhere from a few to several times every time I sail.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:06 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have only ever seen it as a continuous piece; the main sheet and traveler line are two ends of the same line.
If the system that is on there now works, use it. Easing out the traveler assists when traveling downwind; On my boat I can get the boom flatter when on a run if i let out the traveler.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:29 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

The traveler line was probably installed for the issue you ran into trying to run the end of the mainsheet. Maybe the previous owner had a stopper knot on the traveler line to prevent the traveler from slamming into a corner casting and just kept that setup in place or if the line is a different color, it made itself very visible on the tramp. If you tie the mainsheet to the traveler line, it's basically a continuous system. Depending on how the boat was/is stored, leaving a separate traveler line on the boat might have sped up the rigging time or eliminated some rigging confusion if it wasn't sailed that much.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:12 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for all the help..as u have noted, Ive pretty much only let out the traveler running downwind so didn't find it an issue, (only sailed it twice) but would like to run in the Bay sometime and wanted to make sure I had things right. And yes this was a stored boat and not ran much so that would help with confusion(except they made it the same color as the main sheet). Truly appreciate the help as a rookie sailor.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:40 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I have always run a separate traveler line, tried the continuous but didnt like it. Also when I de rig the boat, I use the traveler line to wrap around the tiller bar to keep it solid and centered. There is no right or wrong way to rig this

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:09 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Where are you located?

It is always nice to have an experianced Hobie cat sailor to advise when you are starting out.

2008 Hobie 16 (currently sailing the crap out of this boat)
1977 Super Sunfish
Founding member of the "San Dimas Yacht Club"
John

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:59 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Located in Norcal. Small town of twain Harte. Hoping to go out in sf bay with experienced keel boat friend.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:56 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It's much better for it to be in one piece.

You don't only travel out to go downwind.

To depower in a blow and go upwind, the main needs to be sheeted tight, and travel out as necessary to keep the boat on its feet. By 20 to 25, it's travelled all the way out, even upwind. Of course you aren't pointing as high, but boatspeed is up, and leeway is much less than trying to pinch to point.

In these conditions, the crew and skipper each work one end. Usually, the skipper controls the mainsheet end, since there is more purchase and he/she has one hand on the tiller. The crew can use his/her legs to help with the traveller, while the jib sheet stays looped on the front arm. In a gust, you travel out, and in during a lull.

Makes one less thing to deal with during a tack or jibe. Skipper handles the one sheet during the turn, and crew organizes on the new tack.

I'd suggest learn to deal with one line to start with. A new sailor doesn't need to be able to do this to start with, but as you work your way up through stronger wind ranges, it will be easier when you get there.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:01 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have done both no real issue either way