Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:58 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Which cleat is best?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:27 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi,
As some of you are aware, I am picking up my TI from my dealer in a few days.
The dealer wants to move the furling cleat at the front of the boat from the inside far right, to the two holes just behind the mast. I told him I would like to sail from the back seat (in rough winds) and he said that first, he doesn't recommend using the mast/furling lines from the rear seat position, that I should always sail from the front seat, and that he'd like to move the furling line cleat to the one directly behind the mast. Would it not be in a bothersome position for a front seat person, to have the furling line coming from there, if it is controlled by the person sitting at the rear? Would it not be 'in their way'? Also, I mentioned that on this forum, I read it is nice to tie the furling line to the mast line when sailing from the back seat, so that you do not have to reach forward to grab the furling line. Should I call this dealer and ask him not to move the cleat? And finally, he said it would make furling the sail much easier in this position. Does it really? What are the advantages/disadvantages. I would like to start sailing without a biased dealer telling me what to do. Is he correct?

Post subject: Re: Which cleat is best?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:47 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Have him add an EXTRA Harken cleat to that middle position for you - on solo days it should give you a mechanical advantage.

With passengers, you can use the stock position. For it to work smoothly from the back, you will need to jam the front cleat OPEN so the furling line passes through.

For those of us that hike out on tramps or benches, it's more complicated. I'm considering a swivel base model.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:56 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

That's a great idea! Solves being in disagreement, and adds another choice to my sailing pleasure. You're awesome! Hopefully, he'll have one on hand. How do you 'jam' a cleat open? lol You're talking to a 50+ female sailor, whose husband is a laid back passenger, and always lets me do the sailing. I have sold my hunter 146 in favor of the TI, as it looks more fun, and more stable in higher winds. I should have the strength to manage it from the rear seat position, just want to be sure, I can furl/unfurl with ease.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:29 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Or if it is highly unlikely that you will drive from the front seat, you could do what these UK lads did, and fit a turning block on the left side, and a furling cleat on the rear crossbar.

Their video is worth a watch too :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJuuymSuBLA

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:59 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Now I feel awesome too. Thanks :D

One of the easiest things to do is "open" the cleats and tighten down at least one side with a crosspoint screwdriver. I believe that the same screws which hold the cleat on the bar also adjust the tension of the cams.

Just open the pawls (toothed gears) and use the screwdriver. When you over-tighten them, the cams/pawls lock in position. A slight adjustment is all you need to return them to operation.

We have tried tiewraps, fishing line and other tricks to keep them open, but most objects interfere with the smooth movement of the ropes. I'd like to hear other suggestions.

I would imagine that a spare cleat would be handy for other uses, maybe for anchor lines or temporary bowlines, etc.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:35 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Yes, I would agree, and extra cleat does have its advantages. I will try the screwdriver trick, if I feel that trying to uncleat from the rear seat causes me too much stress. Thanks for all your help.
I think I will stick to this method, so thanks everyone for any other suggestions. :)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:31 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Check out this post too: http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=69&t=37136&p=163258&hilit=rear+furling#p163258

Scroll down to kayakman7's comments and pictures. I did this to my TI and like it quite well.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:43 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Herbaldew wrote:
Check out this post too: http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=69&t=37136&p=163258&hilit=rear+furling#p163258

Scroll down to kayakman7's comments and pictures. I did this to my TI and like it quite well.

thanks!

the TI3 rear ama mod