Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:46 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:37 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

So picked up an 81 H16 at the end of last season. Hulls in great condition and I've replaced practically everything on the boat minus sails, mainsheeting system, and trampoline. My mast currently has a slight bend in it and a good friend found a replacement comptip mast in excellent condition. However, I don't really know much about the comptips. I've read on here that some where retrofitted early on that were pretty lousy and they quickly changed the design. I believe the retrofitted ones were somewhat shorter than the aluminum masts as well. My concerns are this:
1) What are the advantages of having a comptip mast other than potentially saving myself from electrocution?
2) Will my current sails fit the comptip mast? or are they sized differently enough that I would need news sails.
3) Are there any performance advantages to the comptip mast?
4) I just replaced all of the standing rigging on my boat. Will the shrouds and forestays work appropriately with a comptip mast?
5) Are there any other major changes that I would need to make to my boat for this mast to work? I don't really have that much money to work with so basically I'm hoping that this mast will be my only purchase.

Thanks for the help gentlemen.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:52 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

k2sno070 wrote:
1) What are the advantages of having a comptip mast other than potentially saving myself from electrocution?
None, but see 3)

2) Will my current sails fit the comptip mast? or are they sized differently enough that I would need news sails.
yes

3) Are there any performance advantages to the comptip mast? "They" say, the comp tip will help spill off more air in a big blow. The Hobie 16 is overpowered and you're looking for ways to dump power in heavy wind, but the difference will be negligible for recreational sailing

4) I just replaced all of the standing rigging on my boat. Will the shrouds and forestays work appropriately with a comptip mast?
yes

5) Are there any other major changes that I would need to make to my boat for this mast to work?
no

I don't really have that much money to work with
save your money for other stuff. sail the boat, enjoy and then make a decision of what your priorities are for your hard earned sailing dollars. There's no law that says you cant sail a Hobie with a solid mast, just be very careful where you launch and sail. If you end up at a regatta, you're allowed one exemption (one regatta) to the HCANA comp-tip rule. If you have fun, and want to come back to race again, asking the folks at the regatta is probably a good way to find a used comp-tip mast.

so basically I'm hoping that this mast will be my only purchase.

Thanks for the help gentlemen.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:08 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

By saying that I don't have the money I was merely implying that I don't have the money for new sails if they were necessary. My friend who I am getting the mast from is basically giving it to me as he is a sponsored racer and gets all kinds of free stuff. A good friend to have if your into hobies. I paying next to nothing for the mast. I just wasnt sure about the other stuff and my buddy is out of the country, thus, unable to answer the questions for me. However, thank you very much for your thorough responses. I will be looking forward to getting out with a new "straight" mast lol.

Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:34 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The main disadvantage of an all aluminum mast is that you can no longer get a replacement masthead sheave. Since the aluminum mast is at least 30 years old the sheaves are pretty brittle.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:42 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I would choose a straight comptip mast over a bent aluminum mast any day of the week. The only exceptions being one of the first generation comptip masts (the one that installs about a 6 or 10 inches above the hounds and is held in by a large phillips head screw on each side of the mast), or a comptip that is totally sun fried.

For recreational sailing, you will not notice any difference between a comptip mast and an all-aluminum mast, especially on a 30 year old boat.

sm

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:27 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

FYI - I believe you will need more main halyard line with the comptip.
http://www.hcana.hobieclass.com/site/ho ... engths.htm

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:08 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

jonh wrote:
FYI - I believe you will need more main halyard line with the comptip.
http://www.hcana.hobieclass.com/site/ho ... engths.htm

You will need an entirely different main halyard assembly with the comptip mast. The length of the wire section is much shorter when using the comptip.

sm

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:17 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

how to repair "a comptip that is totally sun fried"? i thought a super thin tropical formula of resin brushed on would fix it. ?
thanks

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:02 am 
Site Admin

Polyurethane paint?

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:38 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Matt Miller are you suggesting Polyurethane paint over polyester resin? im glad to take your advice, just want to be clear. any other tips appreciated!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:39 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I used rattle can epoxy appliance paint on mine.....works fine.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:25 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

That seems like a good alternative. Rather than buy expensive yacht paint i bought "topsider" by rustoleum. Friends swear by it and it gets great reiews at less than 1/2 the price. So im on to my next issue!
Thanks