1) What are the advantages of having a comptip mast other than potentially saving myself from electrocution?
None, but see 3)
2) Will my current sails fit the comptip mast? or are they sized differently enough that I would need news sails.
3) Are there any performance advantages to the comptip mast? "They" say, the comp tip will help spill off more air in a big blow. The Hobie 16 is overpowered and you're looking for ways to dump power in heavy wind, but the difference will be negligible for recreational sailing
4) I just replaced all of the standing rigging on my boat. Will the shrouds and forestays work appropriately with a comptip mast?
5) Are there any other major changes that I would need to make to my boat for this mast to work?
I don't really have that much money to work with
save your money for other stuff. sail the boat, enjoy and then make a decision of what your priorities are for your hard earned sailing dollars. There's no law that says you cant sail a Hobie with a solid mast, just be very careful where you launch and sail. If you end up at a regatta, you're allowed one exemption (one regatta) to the HCANA comp-tip rule. If you have fun, and want to come back to race again, asking the folks at the regatta is probably a good way to find a used comp-tip mast.
so basically I'm hoping that this mast will be my only purchase.
Thanks for the help gentlemen.
Sheet In...Max Out
sailflatlands at gmail dot com