Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:36 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fort Worth Tx
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:21 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Just picked up my 16 a few days ago. Looking to see how many other 16 owners there are in the DFW area? Would like to have a had making sure Im set up correct..

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Fort Worth Tx
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:39 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Welcome to the club! There are a lot of us in the area. Hobie Fleet 23 sails out of Lewisville Lake Park where we have our own private beach area, called Hobie Point. On any given weekend, provided the weather is good, there will be quite a few Hobie sailors. The 16 is probably the most common boat in the fleet, but there are some 17's, 18's, and 20's as well. When I got mine in 2007 I was in a similar situation. I went to Mariner Sails, though, and quickly found out where the Fleet sails and the rest is history.

-Hal

Here is a link to Hobie Point - Hobie Point

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:51 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hey thanks for the info HobieHal! Is it open to just come out and meet people? I could probably get a bunch of my questions answered just by looking at other boats..

I hope to get on the water here in next few weeks. I started with getting my trailer up and going.

Blog in my signature..

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:12 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Yeah, everyone is definitely welcome. Hobie Point isn't exclusively for the fleet; there are often non-fleet members and other non-Hobie beach cats. From what I understand (a lot of folks have been around far longer than I have) the Fleet has done a great job of negotiating with the Park to get the Hobie community a designated beach area. It really helps to have one area that everyone can use and not have to avoid swimmers, fishermen, etc. They also let us leave the boats there on the beach from Friday through Sunday. The park charges a $10 entry fee, or you can buy a decal good for a year (well, the rest of 2012) for $50.

You are right about learning by looking at other boats. I had no idea if mine had all of the pieces necessary to sail when I first bought it. I showed up one weekend to Hobie Point and met up with an employee from Mariner Sails. He and a couple of other folks showed me everything in no time. The 16's are some of the easiest boats to set up. At this point the only extra set of hands I need is when I step the mast. Everything else can be done single-handed with some technique (putting the jib up in strong wind can get a little squirrelly).

Look forward to seeing you out there sometime -

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:46 am 
Site Rank - Captain

We keep ours with our 26 foot keel boat at Joe Pool Lake. The mast is stepped as it sits in the trailer so we only have about a 400 yd pull to the ramp, a 20 yd paddle to the shore and we're rigged in no time at all.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:47 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Welcome Bah650 !!!
I like your attitude !!!! Just Got it, and your goal is; SASAP !!!!
( Sailing ASAP ) !!!
I learned a lot from just watching others sail and setting up their Hobies. I used to go to the Hobie gathering areas and just watch like a little kid who wants to join for the fun so badly. I also watched wonderful videos on YouTube of great wonderful people who post their videos of their sailing days.
My local Hobie Dealer owner ( Our local Hobie Hero ), helped me a lot with great tips, encouragement, and wisdom, and helped me adquired the little pieces that I had to replace before jumping into the pond.
Technical advise, check, or have checked, all the rigging hardware, from the stays to the pins to the mast and the rudders, everything corner by corner, inch by inch, before you sail, if you see something strange, corroded, cracked or whatever, take a picture and ask, or ask your local pro`s.
From my part, CONGRATS AND COUNT ON ME TOO FOR QUESTIONS.